Public Service Announcement

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Regan Leigh

Re: Public Service Announcement

Post by Regan Leigh » August 18th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote: No one is going to be like "you ended your sentence with a preposition, therefore your argument is invalid because you are stupid."
What?! I love that invalid for grammatical reasons defense. ;)
I agree with you and Mira...Nathan's forum is much better about that sort of thing. Then again, I doubt the troublemakers want to play on the agent's turf very often.

Though considering the trolling comments I've seen before in Nathan's blog (usually anon), perhaps not ALL trolls are scared off. :D

Quill

Post by Quill » August 18th, 2010, 9:37 pm

There's so little conflict here at Nathan's forums that if we were a book, we wouldn't sell. :)

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 18th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Quill wrote:There's so little conflict here at Nathan's forums that if we were a book, we wouldn't sell. :)

Ha! Thanks for that laugh! I'm new to the forums and they've been great so far.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 18th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Quill wrote:There's so little conflict here at Nathan's forums that if we were a book, we wouldn't sell. :)

That's awesome!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » August 19th, 2010, 11:22 pm

This is made of awesome. :D

Mira

Post by Mira » August 20th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Summer, Bravo! Well said, girl!

Quill, that was too funny. Ha!

Stephmcgee - Hi! Love newbies. Welcome. :)

Jaime

Post by Jaime » September 15th, 2010, 10:40 am

Well I guess it's been a while since I procrastinated down the list, but now I've stumbled across this topic, and I've gotta say, I feel like the new kid at school who was invited to sit with the best group at lunch time. Nathan's is the only writers' forum that I've ever been involved with, and I'm lucky enough to have avoided the jealousy, sniping, etc. that apparently occurs at other forums.

Sure, we've had the occasional nasty-pasty, but I think most of us are big enough to scroll past the obnoxious comments left by these people. I think it's horrible that people who are aiming for the same thing would try to bring others down just because they don't write in the same genre, but then again, it happens everywhere. I work in medicine, and I've heard all the doctor jokes - across professions (how many surgeons does it take to screw in a light bulb? And the surgeons have the same joke about cardiologists, etc., etc.).

I have unfollowed some agents on Twitter because of their lack of professionalism - whether it was the fact that they are still green, I don't know, but to insult writers about queries online? That takes the cake. And they weren't generic insults. I'm sure those people would have known it was their queries. That's just rude.

I've made some really good friends through this forum, and I'm grateful to Nathan and everyone else here who have helped me to become a better writer :)

Down the well

Post by Down the well » September 28th, 2010, 11:53 am

Jaime wrote:Nathan's is the only writers' forum that I've ever been involved with, and I'm lucky enough to have avoided the jealousy, sniping, etc. that apparently occurs at other forums.

Sure, we've had the occasional nasty-pasty, but I think most of us are big enough to scroll past the obnoxious comments left by these people. I think it's horrible that people who are aiming for the same thing would try to bring others down just because they don't write in the same genre, but then again, it happens everywhere.
Your comment reminded me of a sign I once saw in Wyoming.

Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 3108 times

I guess forums and the writing community are a little like small towns.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » September 28th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Down the well, that sign is awesome!

It reminds me of that church in St-John's (Newfoundland, Canada), which always had a joke (sometimes a wordplay) about religion on its sign instead of actual announcement. I wish I could recall any of them, because they were rather funny, and always respectful. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Jaime

Post by Jaime » September 30th, 2010, 1:18 am

Down the well, that's outright hilarious!