The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
Callum

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by Callum » August 29th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Emerald_Resonance wrote: I am a Christian whose beliefs influence much of my writing
May I ask if you write about Christianity itself? I'm currently working on my first novel (long, but worthwhile process; just passed my 40,000 words marker!) which revolves around religious mythology ala Milton (mainly Judeo-Christian, although I'm trying to incorporate many faiths). I have access to the Oxford University Library for only for two more years (ark, need to get writing!) and have found so many books that are fascinating, which incidently spurred me on do to my work in progress.
My Blog. Please follow!
Knock, Knock. Who's there? Me. I kill you.

Gabriel.K.J.

Post by Gabriel.K.J. » August 31st, 2010, 9:48 pm

Hello!

My name's Gabriel, I'm from Canada, and I'm about to begin university in less than a week! I started to read Nathan's incredibly helpful blog about six months ago, but I've been too shy to post anything (until now). I tend to gravitate towards "literary fiction" (my current WIP would fall under this category), but I enjoy other genres as well - especially fantasy.

Well, I guess that's it. I hope to get to know some of you guys, and good luck in all your writing endeavours!

SoCalKelly

Post by SoCalKelly » September 2nd, 2010, 9:24 pm

I'll jump in too. I've been following Nathan's blog for a while but only registered today. It's a great place! I've written one novel but got discouraged after a short round of submissions to agents (I didn't sub to Nathan because I hadn't found him yet). I put away my first novel and now I'm almost half way through my second one. I homeschool our 4 kids and by the time I get revved up to write, I'm wiped out and spend my time vegging on Facebook or some other time-waster. I just got laid off as a teacher for a homeschool charter program so that might be a blessing in disguise? We'll see!

Have a great evening/morning/afternoon - depending on where you are! ; )

SoCalKelly

Babslighthouse

Post by Babslighthouse » September 8th, 2010, 10:48 am

Hello everyone my name is Barbara everyone calls me Babs. I live in the upstate of SC. During the day I am a taxi mom to 3 boys and book reviewer on my blog since 2008. I have been working on 2 novels that still need some work. One is a mystery and the other is a romance/suspense. I just got done with a children's book I have been working on for a while and now trying to write the good ole query letter. I have been following Nathan's website but never thought to join the forum until now. I look forward to getting to know everyone and offering help and getting help as lord knows I will need it with this query.

My Blog: The World of Book Reviews
http://babs-worldofbooks.blogspot.com

maggie

Post by maggie » September 9th, 2010, 1:14 am

Hi all!

My name's Maggie. I'm new to posting, but have been lurking around Nathan's blog for quite some time. I was trying not to join the forums so as to not give myself another way to procrastinate, but hey...here I am!

I'm 27 years old (and feel really old with all these teenagers on here) and writing YA--somewhere between contemporary and urban fantasy, I guess. I haven't exactly nailed down what to call it.

I used to work at a bookstore doing marketing and author events, and though I got to do some awesome things like meet super cool authors and get advance copies of books (heaven!) I also saw how incredibly hard it is for even a published book to do well. Strangely, that hasn't discouraged me from giving it a go myself.

I'm excited to be here--I've learned a lot already just from lurking and hope I can contribute!

Bartle001

Post by Bartle001 » September 10th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Hello:

I am the author of a YA manuscript entitled THE SON OF THE SPIDER. I've been trying to get "agented" for nearly six months now. Maybe Nathan's blog and the rest of you will teach me a thing or two. I'm not sure what I can teach you guys, but I'll try and participate a little while pretending to know what I'm talking about.

My background is in philosophy and bookselling.

Good luck, all.

jzweig

Post by jzweig » September 12th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Jeff Zweig. I write primarily Science Fiction, though fantasy somehow sneaks its way in there. The degree varies from story to story, and I don't mind a mix up of historical or other genre mix ups as well.

I'm from Indiana, currently residing in Indianapolis, and went to school for Film/Tv production.

25 years young. Currently working on my first novel project that I hope will be in the polishing stages in the next month.

I've stumbled upon Nathan's blog through The Query Slush pile blog and love seeing what he's written, and I hope to learn from his experience and advice.

I'm excited to join this community and hope to learn and meet some amazing people! Oh and maybe get published one day, that wouldn't be too bad either ;)

Good luck everyone!
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Mohammad Ali

http://storiesofsleeplessmind.blogspot.com/
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jzwegii

craig

Post by craig » September 13th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Hey jzweig!

There's not enough of us sci-fi geeks in here -- great to meet ya!

Netti

Post by Netti » September 14th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Hi,

I used to think writing fantasy was my niche and I do have a YA/Fantasy out being queried right now. But lately I'm gravitating towards dystopia. So far I'm unpublished but hopefully soon. Also a college student. English major with a minor in Religious Studies.

Yeah, I guess that's all for now.

Netti
"It's kind of shocking to hear Toby called a babe; sort of like calling God a studmuffin."
- Margaret Atwood, Year of the Flood

http://myscientificattempt.blogspot.com/

Quill

Post by Quill » September 14th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Hi Netti.

Welcome aboard!

bglee

Post by bglee » September 15th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Hi, Everybody.

My name is Byron Lee and I AM A WRITER!. (As long as we define a writer as "one who writes".) I write mostly science fiction and fantasy, but occasionally dabble in mainstream. I have a first novel in the editing stages that I'm hoping to pitch at the San Francisco Writers' Conference in February. Anyone else going? I currently reside in the Chicago area with a spousal unit of many years and two offspring.

What else? I do computer consulting on the off chance writing doesn't pay the bills. I'm also hard at work on a website project that will make me rich beyond my wildest dreams.

craig

Post by craig » September 15th, 2010, 10:12 pm

Yay! More sci-fi people! Welcome, Byron!

eliem

Post by eliem » September 18th, 2010, 6:15 am

Just stopped by to say hello.
I love the blog, the comments, the forums - ALLOFIT!
I live in the UK by the sea, and I'm a children's writer, not published yet.

arbraun

Post by arbraun » September 18th, 2010, 10:06 pm

What's up? I'm A. R. Braun, a horror author from the Peoria, Illinois area. A true hick in the sticks if there ever was one, though I don't dress or act like it. I've been hard at this gig for almost three years now and am almost done with my first novel, as far as the critique process, that is. I've had eleven short publications (mostly stories but a chapter of a guidebook too). I'm in love with writing. I prefer old novels like The Haunting of Hill House and 70's and early 80's horror, but I like a lot of new authors too: Gary A. Braunbeck mostly. Glad to meet you all!

wordranger

Post by wordranger » September 20th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Hello all!

My Name is Jennifer and I am a Sci-Fi writer. Why? Because I am lazy and don't want to research. It's just so much easier to create your own world, isn't it? Need a red tree? BANG there's a red tree! Need a planet with nine moons? BANG there it is... Need a giant black hole that connects one side of the galaxy to another? BANG there it is!

Honestly, I use my writing as an escape. I drop myself into a world of my own making, and it's like sitting down and watching TV. Sometimes I am very surprised at what happens! Yeah, I eventually get a plot and an outline... but the journey there is what is exciting. That's what it's all about, right? If you don't enjoy writing, you shouldn't do it. I enjoy every second I get to write. (Which isn't all that often with three kids under 10 years old)

I started writing when I was 16. That was when I dropped my first 400-page whopper on the world. Okay, the world was just a group of friends who read one chapter at a time in homeroom, but it was a start. They loved it, and I was hooked.

After college I dropped another 500-page whopper on my friends, and a few short stories just for fun. All to good reviews on the friend front, but I really just wrote for myself... for the sheer joy of it. Now, at 40 and three kids later, I found something missing in my life, and I went back to writing. I forgot how great it was to CREATE something.

My latest work is 315,000 words long (yeah, I know) so I've cut it into four individual novels… the first of which I am polishing now to actually try to get published. I've been reading these blogs for a while now, and for some reason tonight decided to actually write in one.

I guess this is just a very long-winded "writer at heart" way to say "Hi"

So.... "Hi!"
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/