So I had a dream about...

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Anna

So I had a dream about...

Post by Anna » December 7th, 2009, 9:31 pm

...one of the characters I've been writing about in my book. It was a boring/creepy dream. He didn't say anything to me at all! He just sat there on the bus and stared at me. Anyone else have dreams about their own characters who would care this share? Sorry this is so random.

Harper Karcz

Re: So I had a dream about...

Post by Harper Karcz » December 7th, 2009, 11:11 pm

I often have dreams about my characters! Unfortunately, they don't do or say anything that would help me with writing their stories. Usually, they're just hanging out at home, doing mundane things. In the last character-related dream I remember, I found myself at my character Victoria's house, sitting in her laundry room. Then she came in and asked if she could make me a strawberry smoothie. She said it was for all the trouble she had caused me.

I was like, heck yeah, for all the plot holes you've been involved in, you owe me a lifetime of smoothie-making slavery.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

shadow

Post by shadow » December 8th, 2009, 11:44 am

That’s funny guys, because I just recently had my second dream of a character. It was actually of my main character, I saw him watching me from outside my house window at night. He then just disappeared into the shadows. Yep it was somewhat weird lol, buy my character dreams also never help me with my plot, that’s something that is up to me :)
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

linguista

Post by linguista » December 8th, 2009, 6:48 pm

You guys are lucky. Your characters let you sleep. Mine sit on the edge of the bed and talk incessantly. It takes me hours to fall asleep :(

shadow

Post by shadow » December 9th, 2009, 7:03 pm

linguista - haha! Even in the story my chracters are not very chatty. Lucky me!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

John Ross Harvey

Post by John Ross Harvey » December 10th, 2009, 3:31 pm

strangely my dream was about a board game. I created it (my mockup c/w cards/dice/tokens) right after. Unfortunately I have no idea how to market a board game idea to a manufacturer. Its not like sending a manuscript to a publisher at any rate. Personally its a great game, infuriating, fun, simple, and annoying at any point during the game play. The two test games I've done the winner of course loved it.

If you know any game board industry people that look for these ideas, I'd love to get in touch. It plays like "Sorry" but it involves cars.
Author: Three Forces Of Evil - Comedy Shorts, Snowball's Chance In Hell, Acronymville - Your One Stop Destination In The World Of Acronyms, World Peace - A Novel, Harvey The Happy Helmet's Illustrated How To Drive Handbook - A Drive By Education

casnow

Post by casnow » December 12th, 2009, 4:58 am

No characters appearing in dreams, but in the 2-3 minutes between when I lay down and when I fall asleep I seem to get more ideas for chapters/conversations/scenes than I get any other time of the day.

lovelylj

Post by lovelylj » December 12th, 2009, 5:15 pm

It's strange for me to happen upon this thread because I created these characters a year ago and I'm just starting to have dreams about them. It might be guilt because I finished the book and didn't go back to edit it, instead I started a new one (don't ask me why I did that I can't tell you).

So one of my characters (scifi story) he's pretty abrasive. The dream was extremely weird because in the dream, he knows that I made him. But at the same time, I'm a character too and we're on this mission and he's mad at me because I made him a mean character.

Goodness it was so odd. And he kept trying to convince me that the things that he was doing was good and that he was a good guy. Which is the way that I've written him in the story but there's a point of where he gets tired of convincing everyone of this and just doesn't care anymore.

But it was very strange because he kept asking me if I was cold. I did wake up cold, but he kept rubbing my shoulders and bringing me blankets and then he'd go and threaten to kill someone, which is what happens in the story. I felt a little kidnapped but at the same time, I wanted to hang out with him to get more ideas.

I had another one about the other characters but I really don't remember it.
Lauren A. Johnson
http://www.laurenjohnson.me