E-book experience

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Margo

Re: E-book experience

Post by Margo » August 25th, 2010, 10:40 am

J. T. SHEA wrote:I read whichever book I trip over next.
Sounds like chaos theory for readers. I like it.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

wetair

Post by wetair » August 25th, 2010, 6:41 pm

lucky peoples have room for shelves on top of shelves. and family members who don't object when books escape the shelves.

Mira

Post by Mira » August 31st, 2010, 4:53 pm

Ha ha, you guys make fun, but I bought Ulysses for one dollar and had it in 30 seconds yesterday.
I am reading now more than I ever have.

I am a MIGHTY READER.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 31st, 2010, 4:57 pm

Mira wrote:Ha ha, you guys make fun, but I bought Ulysses for one dollar and had it in 30 seconds yesterday.

I am a MIGHTY READER.

Yes, but had you held the paper copy in your hand, and opened up the book to the first few pages, and tried reading it, would you have still purchased it?

(I'm thinking of founding a support group for people who don't like to read James Joyce.)
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » August 31st, 2010, 5:01 pm

Margo wrote:
Mira wrote:Ha ha, you guys make fun, but I bought Ulysses for one dollar and had it in 30 seconds yesterday.

I am a MIGHTY READER.

Yes, but had you held the paper copy in your hand, and opened up the book to the first few pages, and tried reading it, would you have still purchased it?

(I'm thinking of founding a support group for people who don't like to read James Joyce.)

Lol. Funny. I could use a support group to recover from those first five pages.

And no, I wouldn't have purchased it, but now I can casually hand someone my I-phone. And when they exclaim "Wow! You're reading James Joyce??", I'll look modest and say nothing.

Worth a buck.

Margo - do you post on the blog? Have I seen you there?

Margo

Post by Margo » August 31st, 2010, 5:15 pm

Mira wrote:Margo - do you post on the blog? Have I seen you there?
I think I posted on it once, a few months ago. I read it regularly, though.

Mira

Post by Mira » August 31st, 2010, 5:53 pm

Margo wrote:
Mira wrote:Margo - do you post on the blog? Have I seen you there?
I think I posted on it once, a few months ago. I read it regularly, though.
I didn't like either of my responses, so I deleted them. It's no biggie. I guess some folks prefer a more intimate environment, and some like the blog.

And some like both - like me. :)

TigerGray

Post by TigerGray » September 2nd, 2010, 10:57 pm

I adore my Kindle, too. I do not understand the fetishizing of print books.

Also I am terribly blind so the Kindle allows me to read. Without that piece of technology I would have to pass on a lot of texts. That is another reason I get upset when everyone strokes about print books as though they're somehow holy or better or special.

I like books I can read. The information is the important part.
"Who knows themselves better than the blind?' - for every thought becomes a tool." --Luis Borges

http://tigergray.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » September 6th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Tiger - I agree. I'm glad you found a way to read that is easier for you.

This weekend, I started to pack up my books to give away. Books that were just taking up space in case I ever wanted to read them again. Bye! Fly away to your new homes. Thank you for the shelf space.

I downloaded Emma for free this weekend, too. And then I bought two more books.

I love my Kindle.

TigerGray

Post by TigerGray » September 8th, 2010, 4:05 am

Mira,

I love the free classics! I picked up Jane Austen's P&P the other day for nothing. I think that's a fantastic way to get people to read, and maybe inspire people to pick up texts that they developed a childhood aversion to.

What are you reading now?
"Who knows themselves better than the blind?' - for every thought becomes a tool." --Luis Borges

Mira

Post by Mira » September 8th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Tiger - I just finished a fantasy novel by K. Duey that was extremely intense. I don't know if it's YA or not. I hope not! It was intense. Now, I'm moving on to a chick lit book. I have very commercial tastes. Except when it comes to Jane Austen. :)

How about you?

I did notice there were other classics available - I'll have to take a gander..... and I agree the free books are awesome and will hopefully get folks reading!

TigerGray

Post by TigerGray » September 9th, 2010, 1:33 am

Actually, I just bought Tim Gunn's new book! While a touch awkward in its execution so far I find the personal stories very touching. We were very similar children and he's just as warm in the book as he is on Project Runway.

After that I was thinking Sunflower, which is Simon Wisenthal's book on forgiveness. I find that word to be so loaded that I am curious if he can breathe life in to the word and therefore the concept for me.

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » September 9th, 2010, 10:57 am

TigerGray wrote:Mira,

I love the free classics! I picked up Jane Austen's P&P the other day for nothing. I think that's a fantastic way to get people to read, and maybe inspire people to pick up texts that they developed a childhood aversion to.

What are you reading now?
Not Mira, but wanted to chime in with loving the free classics, or even if they aren't classics. I've only been actively seeking out some of the free books in the last week or so, and have about 20 on my Kindle app. Some are classics, like The Call of the Wild, and others are first in series that publishers made free for a limited time. I almost feel guilty one-clicking them! lol.

For me, the story is the important thing, and if I can read it easily, I'm happy. Hard copy books look nice on shelves, if you have them, but not so nice piled in cardboard boxes or milk crates when you run out of shelves. Also, I have bad allergies and find that some used books are unreadable due to dust and mildew, or if a smoker had them. Blech. I can't read if my eyes are swollen shut! ;-)

Mira

Post by Mira » September 9th, 2010, 1:02 pm

Tiger -those sound great. I'd be really interested to hear about Sunflower, and whether it was helpful.

mmacdonald - me too! I almost feel guilty getting those books for free - but not enough to stop me. :)

TigerGray

Post by TigerGray » September 9th, 2010, 7:25 pm

Mira, I will let you know. I suspect it might take me awhile. It's a concept I struggle with.