what is your aim of writing??

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
AnnElise

Re: what is your aim of writing??

Post by AnnElise » August 28th, 2010, 6:51 am

I write for fun. As a 'gifted' kid I was put into a lot of extracurricular programs in primary school. One of them was a creative writing class. Most of it was complete codswallop (I love that word) but after that I wrote more. Started writing fanfiction in high school because I could and then progressed from there to my own novel, using an original character I had created for the purposes of the fanfic, which I never finished. I hope to be published eventually, but I have no delusions about how long it wil take.
http://coldfirewriter.wordpress.com An overly opinionated adolescent writer with a penchant for rambling.

aeprovost

Post by aeprovost » August 28th, 2010, 4:26 pm

"Before it eats up too much of my daily consciousness"

I can soooooooo relate. If I don't write, I fall into my story and can't get out because I'm afraid it will all vanish from my memory. I write so that I can go back to it. I rewrite so that I can take others there with me.

craig

Post by craig » August 28th, 2010, 4:29 pm

sbs_mjc1 wrote:Mike has told me on quite a few occasions that he writes because he finds it really fun. In a generalized way, I write so that I get the story "out" before it eats too much into my daily consciousness.
I'm a mix of both of these, but a little more on the side of "gotta get it out!"

Oddly, I started writing as revenge. I had to write three short stories in grade 8 Language Arts and then we didn't have to hand them in! The teacher didn't want to read them, he just wanted us to do some writing. Being a high achiever, that REALLY PISSED ME OFF!!! So, to somehow justify wasting my time on a pointless assignment, I wrote two direct sequels to one of those stories and then just kept writing and writing and writing... now I do it to get the stories out of my head -- and I have fun along the way...

Emerald_Resonance

Post by Emerald_Resonance » August 28th, 2010, 5:25 pm

I write because I am always finding moments and feelings that I long to put into words. Or I dream up situations that won't stop bouncing around in my head. Or things just must be said. (This might have something to do with the fact that unless my brain is otherwise occupied, it's constantly narrating back to me whatever I'm doing/thinking/feeling at the moment. I enjoy it most of the time, but it gets old unless I have a chance to write). So yes, I suppose mine is a variation of the "got to get it out!" syndrome.

beeboo15

Post by beeboo15 » August 30th, 2010, 1:34 pm

I write to entertain--I didn't realize I had a hand for humor until college, where I deliberately pushed the envelope for reactions in writing classes. After reading an essay aloud, one guy in the class asked, "Why would you write that? Who would publish it?" My reply was, "People were laughing, weren't they?" Making people laugh is enormously gratifying for me.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » September 2nd, 2010, 11:51 am

I have a large dose of the "gotta get it out" syndrome (my stories will eat my consciousness, too!) but mostly I write because I'm enamored with the written word. I'm an insatiable reader and when I finish I good book I'm so excited about it I want to write one just as good. When I finish (or quit) a bad book I'm so disappointed about it I want to write one better. I can't help it.

I think it was Michener who said "I love the swing and swirl of words as they tangle with human emotions" and I think that fits my love of the written word perfectly.

My other quote is probably familiar to a lot of us: "I write for the same reason I breathe; if I didn't, I would die." (Isaac Asimov)

My Mom says I was born to be a writer, and I guess she's right. There's nothing else I've ever wanted to do, and even if I never get published I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Mike Dickson

Post by Mike Dickson » September 2nd, 2010, 3:17 pm

I write to create. Also to occupy my mind.