The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
tanvi02

what is your aim of writing??

Post by tanvi02 » August 20th, 2010, 6:23 am

do you write to vent out your feelings?? or for fun?? what is the motive

taylormillgirl

Re: what is your aim of writing??

Post by taylormillgirl » August 20th, 2010, 8:07 am

To challenge myself, for fun, and maybe for a wee bit of escapism.

Edit: After a tough week with the kids, I'd like to change my answer to pure escapism with a dash of wish fulfillment.
Last edited by taylormillgirl on August 21st, 2010, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of hot & humorous romances, debut novel coming in 2012 from Sourcebooks!
http://macybeckett.com/

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 20th, 2010, 10:23 am

I write because sometimes I feel like I'll burst if I don't get the story out into a word processor document. Sometimes it's therapy, as with a lot of my poetry, but mostly it's because I have a story that won't be quiet.

amyashley

Post by amyashley » August 20th, 2010, 12:58 pm

Over all, I write because I find it an interesting creative outlet. Perhaps that sounds dull. Hmm. I like the fact that writing is adaptable to expressing different things and conveying different ideas. Unlike the spoken word, it is malleable and organic almost. It can grow and change to suit my intentions.

The particular MS I am working on at the moment has been interesting to write. I wanted to challenge myself to write a modern, and moving work that didn't contain sex, action, and foul language. Not that I have anything against those, I just wanted to write a pure work without fluff. I also am writing it in an effort to fill a void I see in the market and meet a demand. Writing to a specific target audience has been both challenging and fun. I have also used this current piece as a somewhat cathartic work to vent a few frustrations about my own life in a humorous fashion.

steve

Post by steve » August 20th, 2010, 1:40 pm

To provoke.
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

fersnerfer

Post by fersnerfer » August 20th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Ultimately, I write to entertain myself.

My main reader is my wife. I write a lot of stories with her reaction in mind.

If I get a "WTF" or hear "You're gross!" from the other room, I know I've hit my mark.
-------------------------------------
http://marlanesque.wordpress.com/
Spoiler:
It turns out he really IS the killer!

airball

Post by airball » August 21st, 2010, 10:57 pm

I guess I'm a bit of an odd bird on this one, but...

Right now I'm working on a historical novel. Nothing too original about that, but for my day job, I'm a historian, so I actually spend a lot of time reading and writing on the same subject but from a very different perspective.

I like the fiction for a couple of reasons. First, it allows me to get to know the people I study in greater detail. Except for a small handful of well-documented people, historians don't spend a lot of time trying to get too far into any one individual's head. Sure we can get a sense of how a group felt about the Reformation for example, but nobody is going to say, "When John Fletcher saw Anne Askew burned for heresy, he felt _____." We just don't know. With fiction, I can climb into John's shoes and fill in that blank. I don't know that it makes me a better historian (perhaps worse!), but it is something I enjoy.

Second, writing fiction frees me from the requirement that I produce evidence. There are things that I know about the past, but can't prove it with enough certainty to put it in an article or book. But in a novel, I can make it up. It's fun!

airball
Sam Thomas
Author of The Midwife's Story: A Mystery due out from St. Martin's Press in 2013
Team Blog= http://bloodygoodread.blogspot.com

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » August 21st, 2010, 11:17 pm

I write for roughly the same reason I read. To understand. The world is full of mystery. There are some things that make sense, but then there are inexplicable moments of joy and pain, and even if I'll never really be able to understand these moments, I feel compelled to try. Usually I write with questions in mind, like what does the term miscarriage really mean vs. what it sounds like, and why do people remember their past differently than how it happened sometimes, and what is it like to be alone in different ways? Ultimately, I try to tap into questions I have for myself, and then I use stories to problem-solve until there's something I can articulate about that question. Usually it's not an answer... but I think the stories that work end up representing the questioning itself, which I guess still means something.

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » August 22nd, 2010, 4:52 am

It started out as after a career change from banking to scuba diving instructor I needed something to challenge my mind at first. Not that I don't love my job but its harder physically but easier mentally.

Now I'm just addicted...

shadow

Post by shadow » August 22nd, 2010, 3:02 pm

It started out a couple years ago in my juior high year when I was super bored in french class and started writing a book by hand! Wow, that was a mistake because she caught me and tried to take it away all the time ( we did not get along) and I kept writing on a different piece of paper, HA! Then it developed into a love for venting out my feelings and loving my characters who I write for, I must admit...
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas » August 22nd, 2010, 6:25 pm

I write because I always have. I don't think the "aim" of my stories has changed very much, though the stories themselves have. I don't write to get published. I edit and rewrite to get published, yeah, but the initial process is for the joy of it. No matter how much I complain about it, if I really didn't like it, I'd be able to abandon it and never come back.

Since I'm coming up with ideas every day still, even though I already have four WiPs, I don't see the day where I leave my characters and their stories behind ever happening.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 22nd, 2010, 6:31 pm

For me, writing isn't just about getting pretty words on paper (although that feels good, too), it's about the coalescence of those words into a story that hopefully says something profound about the human condition. I write fantasy novels that take place in other worlds or that sometimes involve mythical creatures, but no matter the characters or setting they are basically stories about humans struggling. I think it's part of the job of the writer to be an explorer of the human psyche, to discover why people do what they do, make sense of it somehow, and then present the findings in a way that entertains through the written word. Anyway, that's what I aim to do when I write. I'm still discovering how near the mark I am in actual execution.

sbs_mjc1

Post by sbs_mjc1 » August 23rd, 2010, 1:55 pm

Mike has told me on quite a few occasions that he writes because he finds it really fun. In a generalized way, I write so that I get the story "out" before it eats too much into my daily consciousness.
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

midenianscholar

Post by midenianscholar » August 26th, 2010, 10:39 am

To express thoughts, to relax, to tell a story.

and maybe sometimes to get revenge or enact my own sense of justice. >_>

AnimaDictio

Post by AnimaDictio » August 27th, 2010, 1:57 pm

I write to seduce. Books are intimate. I enjoy the idea of sharing my thoughts and emotions with others and having them change, maybe even improve, as a result of the experience.