The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
amyashley

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by amyashley » August 19th, 2010, 9:03 pm

This feels oddly like I imagine an AA meeting might, but in type.

My name is Amy and I'm a writer too.

I'm here because it seems like a good place to swap some info now and then and perhaps chat with others in a similar boat. I'm currently working on an Urban Fantasy manuscript, and it's about 5 chapters from completion. I type around toddlers, and I would perish without a a word processor to catch the fumbles and the dictionary embedded in my mac. I'm not very shy, but I am very busy, and I'd rather write than post, but I hope to be an interesting addition here.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm

amyashley wrote:This feels oddly like I imagine an AA meeting might, but in type.

My name is Amy and I'm a writer too.
Congratulations. Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

:)

Seriously, if you need anything, just ask. Welcome to the forums.

Best,
Bryan/Ink
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 19th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Welcome to all the newcomers. I'm a newbie myself and I can honestly say the forums and its members have been great in the few days I've been around.

thrintone

Post by thrintone » August 21st, 2010, 9:43 pm

Hello, I'm Katherine

and...a writer.

I'm gearing up to query my first novel, but I'm really nervous about it. I am finding the query letter more difficult than the novel writing. Well, I'm looking forward to reading more on the forums. This site seems great!

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 21st, 2010, 10:53 pm

Welcome, thrintone.

If you have any questiosn, just ask. And the first thing you have to do for a query is relax. :) It's just a story, though a short one. Hook, character, conflict, rising action, conclusion. Easy Peasy. If you can write a good novel, you can write good query.

Best,
Bryan/Ink
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

ThinkingTen

Post by ThinkingTen » August 23rd, 2010, 1:56 pm

Hey All!
Glad to have found this great website--lots of very useful information! I'm sure you're all busy, but I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I live in Seattle, WA and am the creator and managing editor of the social writer's site, ThinkingTen—A Writer's Playground (http://thinkingten.com). We've got a great community of committed writers and if any of you are interested, I'd love for you to stop by.

The Gist:
Each weekday morning, a themed writing prompt is posted. What can you create in ten minutes?

Hope to see you on the playground!
--
Blake N. Cooper
Creator and Managing Editor, T10
http://thinkingten.com
--
Blake N. Cooper
Creator and Managing Editor
ThinkingTen—A Writer's Playground
http://thinkingten.com

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » August 23rd, 2010, 10:44 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a twenty-eight year old (soon to be twenty-nine) female from Kentucky who has been telling stories her entire life to escape the world she lives in. Last year I finally decided to crack down, get over my incessant fear of completing a book, and joined NaNoWriMo. Now I have a complete and near-polished manuscript of 110,000+ words ready for submission.

I like to write Christian inspired, Steampunk fantasy with a dark edge. I would say the manuscript is completely polished, but let's not kid ourselves. We're writers and constant perfectionists. Even when it's on the shelves in the future we'll be saying, "Dear God, did I write that? Is it too late to change it?"

After pouring over this poor thing several times, having it ran through many betas (they are still alive), carrying it with me every day, and editing it over and over again, I am ready to begin the-

[deep breath]

-query.

I hope to learn some here. [bow]
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Mgrimit

Post by Mgrimit » August 24th, 2010, 2:34 am

HI EVERYONE!

My name's Megan, I'm new to the forums, and some day (note the determination) I'm going to be a published author! (Yay!)

I'm 20 years old, I've been married for three years in October and have a 2 year old son. I started a writing course I saw in the back of a magazine about a year and a half ago and cant imagine doing anything else besides writing. I live in my own world anyway, so why not write about it? I'm currently abut 3/4 of the way done with a vampire novel (no sighs, its nothing like Twilight, or any of the other teeny bopper vampire stories out there) and have an outline written for a werewolf novel as well. I love the fantasy genre. Real life is all around us, I wanna see some fangs, or freaks with goo shooting out of their fingernails.

So there, that's me, and again HI EVERYONE!

Lillian Grant

Post by Lillian Grant » August 24th, 2010, 2:48 am

G'day

I am an Aussie, in case the greeting didn't give the game away. I am, by day, a tax accountant, no stones please. By night and on weekends I am a writer. I am almost tempted to say author. I have my first book coming out with an e-publisher next month. Having been treated with disdain when I admitted at a writing festival that my stories have romantic elements, I am too afeard to claim to be an author when I only have an e-book to my name.

I do have a husband and even some children but how old they are is way too much information. A girl has to keep some secrets.

fetterslopez

Post by fetterslopez » August 24th, 2010, 3:33 am

Morning to you all. I'll take a shot in the dark at this introduction thing and start with the basic facts... I'm a nerd and a geek. My name is Lori, but I've been called any number of other names like shortie and mouthy and opinionated and... the list goes on. I only recently.. today, found Nathan's site, but am already fascinated by all the great information available here. Another opportunity to stay "in touch' with others like myself. Like everyone here, I love to write. I'm still working on the published part, but am confident it will come. My genre of preference is sci-fi/fantasy. I love dragons, wizards, elves and the like; however, I do not limit myself to that space. I also write what was intended as a romance but ended as more of a thriller with a political aspect. Currently I am writing a thriller with a very dysfunctional, unreliable main character and it has been the most fun I've had writing ever. My work schedule is known to change so you might find me up and moving anytime day or night. Unsure of what else I should put I will draw this to a close leaving you with this thought... never stop writing.
Lost in the Writing of it All

AnnElise

Post by AnnElise » August 27th, 2010, 8:18 pm

G'day to you too, Lillian. Nice to see a fellow Aussie around. Hello everyone else. I hope I don't make an idiot out of myself.

I use my persona (alter ego?), Ann Elise Monte, when in the writing community. I'm seventeen, living in the Australian state, Victoria, about an hour or so out of Melbourne, an area that is notorious for packing all four seasons into the one day. Due to the delightful winter we're in the middle of, I spend most of my time indoors... writing, of course. I write Young Adult fantasy, though my current project could have the word 'dystopian' tacked onto that. I've had three short stories published in a small magazine that's no longer in circulation, so I don't know if they really count as publishing credits. Eh, they inflate my ego so they can stay... for now. Like fetterslopez, I can be described as opinionated and mouthy (*grin*).

I've been reading Nathan Bransford's blog for a while now but have never posted in the forums before. I hope to spend plenty of time here and meet some awesome people.
http://coldfirewriter.wordpress.com An overly opinionated adolescent writer with a penchant for rambling.

jetchez

Post by jetchez » August 27th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Jenny and this is causing me great anxiety because I usually get all weirded out about introducing myself, even on paper...or screen. But, um, okay...so I'm a YA and short story writer. I'm currently in the stages of querying and trying to find an agent to represent my first YA novel and am busy working on a second one; it helps keep me sane as I wait for replies from agents. Also, I've been blogging a lot lately about writing and YA topics--trying to develop that all-important web presence.

I live in Florida with my husband and two kids. It's insanely hot here! I can't wait for that one week of semi-fall/winter weather we get in Dec/Jan. Sometimes the heat gets to my head, which makes for some crazy story ideas so I guess it's worth it. Anyways, not much else to say I guess, except maybe that other than reading and writing I love to cook and paint.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

Jenny
http://jennytorressanchez.com

Emerald_Resonance

Post by Emerald_Resonance » August 28th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Hello all!

My name is Cherise and I have been haunting Nathan's blog for the past several months now. I finally decided to join when I saw the link to the teenage writer's thread in Friday's post (because, yes, I am one). I am working on writing my second novel and I know that publishing is still years away, but I figured that I might as well get a head start in exchanging critiques and learning about the publishing industry.

I am a Christian whose beliefs influence much of my writing (although not as much as I would like -- why is it that the things we most want to say so often manage to slip away from us?). I enjoy writing fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction. My dream is to write fiction that contains the thoughtfulness of literary fiction but that still engages readers on a story-based level.

I blog over here at In the Shadow of Poetic http://shadowofpoetic.blogspot.com.

Diamonte

Post by Diamonte » August 28th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Hi, I'm Diamonte. I'm 17 and slogging through my senior year of high school, hoping it will go as fast as possible.

I tend to write whatever intrigues me, though I usually read fantasy and 19th century literature. I joined because the teenage writing thread sounded so interesting that I couldn't resist posting. I've been lurking around Nathan's blog and the forum for a while now.

Let's see... I'm from a very boring state in the Midwest, but will be going out of state next year for college (probably University of Iowa) to study Biology and English, a very strange combination of majors.