LABOR DAY WEEKEND WRITE-OFF

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
E McD

LABOR DAY WEEKEND WRITE-OFF

Post by E McD » August 13th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Just among us. Create your own goal of words/pages to complete over LABOR DAY WEEKEND and do it! You decide your own ass-in-the-chair hours that work best with your schedule, so long as your goal is started no sooner than Friday, Sept. 3rd and met by the end of the day on Monday, Sept. 6th.

What do you win?! The satisfaction of meeting a goal and congrats from your friends in the Bransforums (lest we forget the progress on your book)!

What do you say, guys? Who's with me?

Post your goal below. Afterwards, edit your response to reflect whether you met or exceeded your goal. GOOD LUCK!!!

MY GOAL: 10 pages of completely new material for my WIP.
Last edited by E McD on August 13th, 2010, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Emily McDaniel

Robin

Re: LABOR DAY WEEKEND WRITE-OFF

Post by Robin » August 13th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Can I do it a week early? We are going on a cruise labor day weekend-- 1st real vacation in 10 years :)

My goal: 10K
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

E McD

Post by E McD » August 13th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Why not? We're making the rules here, right? LOL

Just limit yourself to a 72-hour period to get 'er done, and then post your results after Labor Day. :) Thanks for playing along, Robin!
-Emily McDaniel

craig

Post by craig » August 13th, 2010, 3:35 pm

I'm gonna go with a slightly different goal... I wanna finish a complete draft of my WIP by the end of the September long weekend (which means I may succeed before the weekend even starts). I haven't been able to write these past few weeks cuz of school work on a very heavy schedule or procrastination -- but my course ends on Sunday and then I want to dive into my WIP and at least finish the draft, if not the whole thing, by the end of Labour Day Weekend -- cuz shortly after that my next course should be starting up.

(And I will continue to defy your spelling of labour by including a u in my spelling. That's Canadian anarchy for ya, eh?)

Aimée

Post by Aimée » August 14th, 2010, 12:17 am

Okay. Like craig, I am going to try to finish the first draft of my WIP before Labor Day. But I'm starting before the weekend. :)

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » August 14th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Joining the draft-finishers club! I have about 25K to write before Labor Day, but work stuff is going to keep me busy most of the time up to then (I'm writing this post from my day-job office on a Saturday afternoon. Just ugh). I anticipate having to make a BIG push to finish over Labor Day weekend.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

Suzie F.

Post by Suzie F. » August 16th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Count me in! This will be a great way to push myself toward my goal of finishing my MG first draft by November. I'm going to aim high and try to add 10K over Labor Day weekend.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » August 17th, 2010, 3:29 am

I want to add at least writer a new chapter for each of my current WsIP. At the very least I want Addy completely planned out (which counts too, right?).

*I just realised this is the weekend I'll be at WorldCon. My new goal is to get the attention of at least one agent.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Emily J

Post by Emily J » August 17th, 2010, 11:55 am

What a great idea! This is why I like NaNoWriMo so much, it motivates me to write more than I would left to my own devices (devices = tv, internet, wii)

My goal is to write 10K over Labor Day Weekend since all the cool kids are doing it. But even if I only complete half of that I would still be happy. My WiP is only at about 12,000 words so far.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 17th, 2010, 1:44 pm

I'm planning to finish up the last of my rewrites labor day weekend on monday. At least, that's the goal! I'm pretty excited. I love long weekends where I can turn the phone off and ignore everyone and work.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » August 18th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Oooh, I've been needing something like this!

My goal is to have my early MG chapter book finished, complete with first-round revisions, and ready for my crit group to take a stab at it.

:-) This write-off is a great idea!

heather_hangs_it

Post by heather_hangs_it » August 18th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Hey hey hey! No, it's not Fat Albert. I wanna play! I'll probably be working most of that weekend, but third shift lends itself to a bit of downtime now and again. I think I'll follow the 10k crowd. A new 10k either at the beginning or the end of my current wip.

Woohoo!

~heather

AintTellin

Post by AintTellin » August 22nd, 2010, 12:17 pm

As I have just started my first novel, and it is moving forward rather slow, I am hoping to finish the first 30 pages by the end of labor day weekend. I am also going to stop lurking around the forums, and actually start participating in hopes that it will keep me motivated.
Aint Tellin

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrifications is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery." Black Dynamite

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas » August 25th, 2010, 11:07 pm

I plan on writing around 15,000 words Labor Day weekend. Count me in!

craig

Post by craig » August 31st, 2010, 5:32 pm

craig wrote:I'm gonna go with a slightly different goal... I wanna finish a complete draft of my WIP by the end of the September long weekend (which means I may succeed before the weekend even starts). I haven't been able to write these past few weeks cuz of school work on a very heavy schedule or procrastination -- but my course ends on Sunday and then I want to dive into my WIP and at least finish the draft, if not the whole thing, by the end of Labour Day Weekend -- cuz shortly after that my next course should be starting up.

(And I will continue to defy your spelling of labour by including a u in my spelling. That's Canadian anarchy for ya, eh?)
Updating my goals for this weekend --

I've been on a writing high and only have two scenes left till the end of the novel.

So, since I'll have my draft done before the Labour Day weekend, I want to have my edited/final draft done by the end of the weekend and beta readers lined up. Editing shouldn't take too long since I heavily edited the first 80% a month ago -- so I need to do a very light edit of that 80% and then a heavy edit of the final 20% -- shouldn't be too time consuming...

And I've already got a list of potential beta readers, so I just need to contact them.