Recent Comparables for Books Like Sweetbitter?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
LadyLit

Recent Comparables for Books Like Sweetbitter?

Post by LadyLit » May 27th, 2023, 2:48 am

Hi everyone!

I'm struggling to find good recent comparables for the novel I'm writing (upmarket women's fiction about an innocent young Midwestern girl trying to come of age and find her way to sexual awakening at the peak of the late 60s "sexual revolution" in rollicking San Francisco). Sweetbitter fits fairly well, but it's too old. I've found a few others that are "iffy." Any suggestions? Thanks!

dorisbecker

Re: Recent Comparables for Books Like Sweetbitter?

Post by dorisbecker » February 19th, 2024, 4:27 am

Hello, I suggest "The Girls" by Emma Cline. Although this novel is set in the late 1960s in Northern California, it focuses on a young girl's coming-of-age within a cult-like group inspired by the Manson Family. While it may have darker themes than what you're aiming for, it still offers a glimpse into the complexities of female experiences during that era.

Besides, you can try reading "The Swans of Fifth Avenue" by Melanie Benjamin. This historical fiction novel delves into the lives of the glamorous and influential women of the 1960s New York social scene. It explores themes of sexuality, power dynamics, and the challenges faced by women during that time.

rosiewilsonnsjh

Post by rosiewilsonnsjh » February 20th, 2024, 1:41 am

For a story about a young Midwestern girl navigating her way through the sexual revolution in San Francisco during the late 60s, you might consider looking into more recent titles that capture similar themes and settings. Some suggestions that might align with your novel could include "The Girls" by Emma Cline, "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo" by Taylor Jenkins Reid, or "Daisy Jones & The Six" by Taylor Jenkins Reid. These novels explore coming-of-age themes and complex relationships in unique settings. I hope these suggestions help you find some good comparables for your work! Connections Game

lista55

Post by lista55 » February 20th, 2024, 4:32 am

Soccer Skills World Cup
LadyLit wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:48 am Hi everyone!

I'm struggling to find good recent comparables for the novel I'm writing (upmarket women's fiction about an innocent young Midwestern girl trying to come of age and find her way to sexual awakening at the peak of the late 60s "sexual revolution" in rollicking San Francisco). Sweetbitter fits fairly well, but it's too old. I've found a few others that are "iffy." Any suggestions? Thanks!
"The Girls" by Emma Cline set in the late '60s, this novel explores the story of a young girl who becomes involved with a charismatic cult in California. It delves into themes of identity, rebellion, and sexual awakening during that era.

Nobs1947

Post by Nobs1947 » February 20th, 2024, 11:31 pm

geometry dash meltdown
LadyLit wrote: May 27th, 2023, 2:48 am Hi everyone!

You can refer to Emma Cline's novel The Girls, it is set in the late 1960s, this novel explores the coming of age story of a young girl who becomes entangled in a cult group reminiscent of countercultural movement.