Brainstorming Ideas

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
IlGrido

Brainstorming Ideas

Post by IlGrido » August 17th, 2010, 4:51 pm

This might sound weird because I write non fiction, but I do tend to incorporate other themes into my writing so anything to get my pen to move! lol

sbs_mjc1

Re: Brainstorming Ideas

Post by sbs_mjc1 » August 18th, 2010, 1:35 am

I think I'm the opposite-- Mike and I write historical fantasy, but we end up doing a lot of history research and writing extensively about real people, places, events, etc. It's a great source of inspiration (and plot!), but there's some much fascinating stuff we have to leave out. :(
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

amyashley

Re: Brainstorming Ideas

Post by amyashley » August 20th, 2010, 11:57 am

I've never heard of this technique actually used. I think it's all mine! It would work regardless of genre, fiction or non.

If I get stuck in my writing, or even stuck in my plot, I will go back to the beginning, reread, and take notes on any points that make an impact on me (as if I were just a reader). I'll then take a look at my list and see if I have accidentally foreshadowed something I didn't see before, or if there is a theme I could explore a bit deeper. Sometimes I have to go back and flesh things out or rewrite a bit, but usually I find that I've already led myself where I need to go next. I just have to pay a little more attention.

I also like Patricia Briggs advice regarding fiction. If she reaches a part of plot that just gets sticky and seems to have no solution, she takes a wider view with the understanding that she probably made a wrong turn somewhere. She usually finds that she has written the protagonist doing something out of character, and once that gets changed to be more in line with what they "should" have done, things flow more smoothly.