Favorite Part of Writing

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
arbraun

Re: Favorite Part of Writing

Post by arbraun » August 8th, 2010, 12:11 am

My favorite part of writing is coming up with the rough draft. I employ the seat-of-my-pants technique, usually blowing my own mind on what I can come up with. Editing is tedious work, in my humble opinion.

MedleyMisty

Post by MedleyMisty » August 10th, 2010, 9:58 am

Wrote a blog post about this recently. Yay copypasta! :)

Basically it's saying that my favorite part of writing is...well, writing. I don't really plot or do outlines or do a first draft and then edit. I have spent eight hours on a paragraph before moving on to the next one and although I do have a general fuzzy idea of where the story is going, I write by the seat of my pants and new updates flow from the previous updates. I do it all in one crazy go. :)

This is the joy and the love and the ecstasy.

It's just me and the words and the letters and the draft and the words are starting to show themselves to me, starting to shape themselves into images with meaning that I didn't see at first, that I couldn't see until I'd chipped enough away from the slab of blank page.

When it's like this, when everything is white and light and beautiful, the stats page doesn't matter. The comments don't matter. The secrets don't matter. None of it matters. That's all...that's all on the outside. It's thin and it's superficial and it's not real and it doesn't matter.

What matters....what matters is the beauty. What matters is the words. What matters is the music. The rest of it - the rest of it fades off into the darkness and all I can see is the story. All I can see is Seth and his plants and the sun and his shears and Caitlyn coming up behind him.

I must be as perfect as I can be at this moment. In the past I didn't know as much and in the future I will learn more. The words have to be as perfect as they can be here, now. This perfectionism is not self-hatred. This is not distorted thinking. This is not ugliness and hate and tears in the night.

This is...

This is sacred.

theepicwinner

Post by theepicwinner » August 11th, 2010, 8:00 pm

My favourite part is the excitement during the initial planning and first draft of the novel. When plot points come together, when characters prove themselves more resourceful than you had ever imagined, when it all starts to come together as one narrative whole.

But nothing is more satisfying than writing THE END.
"If you can think it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it" - Evan Taubenfeld

Don't give up on your dreams.

elfspirit

Post by elfspirit » August 11th, 2010, 8:35 pm

My favorite part is when the characters take over. I take dictation well.

Aside from that, I love it when I'm doing something entirely different, and the scene, motivation, or dialogue bit I've been suffering over suddenly gets resolved.

ninafromnorway

Post by ninafromnorway » August 12th, 2010, 2:03 am

I love it when I get that "pling" moment. Usually I will have been stuck for days, not knowing what to write. And then, from out of nowhere, the next chapters just hit me like a bullet!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Mike Dickson

Post by Mike Dickson » August 13th, 2010, 4:21 pm

My favorite part of writing is not writing at all, instead it's the creation I love the most. For some reason creating a life out of nothing but my thoughts is exciting. The writing is a close second.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » August 16th, 2010, 11:48 pm

I love-love-love writing the first draft, especially the first half and the ending. I usually struggle somewhere in the middle of a first draft.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 16th, 2010, 11:52 pm

I love the world-building. It's the one point in the process where anything is a possibility. I love the freedom it gives me. I tend to get very bogged down in what will or won't work when I'm drafting that I don't always feel free to just let things happen in an organic way. But I do when I'm world-building.

Hyaline

Post by Hyaline » August 17th, 2010, 1:42 pm

I love revising and editing, because I love finding problems and fixing them. But really, the initial creating is my favorite--crafting words on paper. Nothing beats plucking a phrase from your head and employing it just the way you want it.

Least favorite part is formatting :)