Its got a nice beat I can dance to....

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
johndavid

Its got a nice beat I can dance to....

Post by johndavid » August 10th, 2010, 12:04 pm

The post by Leonidas about music playing while we write gave me a thought. I'll start a new thread for this.

We are writers. We "pay attention" to words. We try to paint a picture with our words.

Now I have always been a 'lyrics' person when it comes to the music I like (mostly 70's music). I don't care so much about the music or melody, I want to understand what a song is about. I think some music is pure poetry (don't know about today's mostly crappy music). I like songs that are "deep" if you will. Something that makes me think about not only the song but life itself. I guess it is why I like Pink Floyd so much!

Is this a common thing for writers? How many people here LISTEN to the words of songs? How many here break them down and try to find the message or the meaning? Care to give examples of some lyrics that really "hit-home" with you? I'll start with one...

Against the Wind
Bob Seger

Seems like yesterday
But it was long ago
Janey was lovely she was the queen of my nights
There in the darkness with the radio playing low
And the secrets that we shared
The mountains that we moved
Caught like a wildfire out of control
'Til there was nothing left to burn and nothing left to prove
And I remember what she said to me
How she swore that it never would end
I remember how she held me oh so tight
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then

That last line may be one of the best EVER in music. This song brings me back every time I hear it (and I hear it A LOT). But I relate to the entire song. It is one that always gets the volume turned up to eleven when it comes on. In fact, I think I will listen to it again right now!

dios4vida

Re: Its got a nice beat I can dance to....

Post by dios4vida » August 10th, 2010, 12:24 pm

I do! I've run across several bands that I liked their sound but I could not figure out what the lyrics mean (Owl City!). I ended up getting rid of the CDs because why do I want to listen to music that I don't know what they're saying???

My sister, who's a huge music fan (and a scientist, nothing like me at all) didn't understand that. But you like the music! she said.

But not the words, I replied.

I got this look: O_o
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 10th, 2010, 12:24 pm

I always thought Sting would make a great novelist. Songs like King of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger, Fortress Around Your Heart, and All This Time are like short stories set to music.

I've read his autobiography, too. If he wrote it alone, and I believe he did, he did a good job. Love me some Sting.

wetair

Post by wetair » August 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm

i pay more attention to the music than the lyrics. lol but i will admit the songs I listen to over and over are the ones whose words i really like. their music needs to be good, too, though. desert rose by sting, hero by maria carey, almost doesn't count by brandy, sweet dreams by beyonce . . .

johndavid

Post by johndavid » August 10th, 2010, 12:54 pm

down the well...

You are onto something there. I think a lot of musicans would make good novelist. (At least the ones that actually write their own music).

Jimmy Buffett has been writing songs for many decades and his books are great (ficton and non).

polymath

Post by polymath » August 10th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Caution. Song lyrics still under copyright don't enjoy Fair Use exceptions.
Spread the love of written word.

E McD

Post by E McD » August 11th, 2010, 12:17 am

Anything by Bob Dylan or Joanna Newsom.
-Emily McDaniel

ninafromnorway

Post by ninafromnorway » August 11th, 2010, 1:44 am

I break them down, and not just listen. It may be because I have this thing, that when I notice that I am listening to a song (actually hearing it), I believe it's the future calling me. The worlds problems are solved in most songs ;-)

Anyway, it's impossible for me to listen to music while I write, as I have add, and any distraction is big enough to pull me out of it. I need it to be completely quiet when I write. Even a clock, the fridge aso could be a possible threat to my writing "steam"

Having said that - the invention of ear plugs couldn't have come too soon!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 11th, 2010, 10:22 am

Funny, I almost never pay any attention to lyrics. Which is maybe a little pathetic for a writer. I'm interested in the music and the voice as an instrument. Lyrics? No. There are a few ( a very few) exceptions. But mostly, no. Plus, most song lyrics, as literature, are... not good. Not good, indeed. "Oh baby, I love you... oh baby, why'd you leave... I love you so... oh baby..."

Not exactly Shakespeare. But with the right voice and music it could sound incredible. Even if it's kinda crappy.

Now, obviously, there are exceptions. But I probably miss some of the good lyrics out of the habit of long ignoring them.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 11th, 2010, 11:43 am

Bryan, you need to stop listening to Brittany Spears.

wetair

Post by wetair » August 11th, 2010, 12:25 pm

the oh baby repetitions sound like justin bieber.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 11th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Down the well wrote:Bryan, you need to stop listening to Brittany Spears.
I can't stop. It's a compulsion.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Priscilla_James

Post by Priscilla_James » August 11th, 2010, 1:36 pm

I know that this is going to sound completely NUTS, but I used to do that with a lot of Mariah Carey's songs. Now, now, now...before you start throwing the tomatoes, I should add that before she went all coo-coo, she was quite the lyricist. Up until her last GOOD album "Fantasy", the lyrics in her music were profound and powerful. It's a shame that some of her most DEEP songs didn't get any airplay. There's a song off her "Fantasy" album that makes me weak at the knees. It's called "Looking In." Believe it. . .it's NOT a typical song you'd expect from Mariah. Here's my favorite verse:

She smiles through a thousand tears
And harbours adolescent fears
She dreams of all
That she can never be
She wades in insecurity
And hides herself inside of me

I mean. . . wow. . . a far cry from some of her latest works, huh? Amazing how a person's music can change either for the better or worse.

But to answer your question, johndavid, I TOO analyze music. :)
what does it take to be a great writer?

wetair

Post by wetair » August 11th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Priscilla_James wrote:I know that this is going to sound completely NUTS, but I used to do that with a lot of Mariah Carey's songs. Now, now, now...before you start throwing the tomatoes, I should add that before she went all coo-coo, she was quite the lyricist. Up until her last GOOD album "Fantasy", the lyrics in her music were profound and powerful. It's a shame that some of her most DEEP songs didn't get any airplay. There's a song off her "Fantasy" album that makes me weak at the knees. It's called "Looking In." Believe it. . .it's NOT a typical song you'd expect from Mariah. Here's my favorite verse:

She smiles through a thousand tears
And harbours adolescent fears
She dreams of all
That she can never be
She wades in insecurity
And hides herself inside of me

I mean. . . wow. . . a far cry from some of her latest works, huh? Amazing how a person's music can change either for the better or worse.

But to answer your question, johndavid, I TOO analyze music. :)
didn't she have a nervous breakdown before fantasy? or somewhere in the middle of fantasy? something like that. and personally, as i mentioned before, i love her hero.

Priscilla_James

Post by Priscilla_James » August 11th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Gosh...I think so. It's really, really sad. She was SO brilliant. :(