The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
ninafromnorway

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by ninafromnorway » August 10th, 2010, 5:24 am

Thank you very much Brian. That's fantastic to hear, especially since I wrote it late at night and the keyboard letters were waltzing before me.

Have a lovely day.

Nina
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Matt in the Hat

Post by Matt in the Hat » August 10th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Hey, my names Matt (in case my username didn't give it away haha). I'm 18 and live in New York.

I started writing around fourth or fifth grade, and have been into it ever since. I used to read a lot when I was younger also, but kind of stopped around middle school. I started to read more last year though and continue to read even more now. I've also gotten more involved with my writing recently, which is how I came across Nathan's blog and this forum a few weeks ago. I always tended to start stories but never finish them, but lately have been working on a more substantial piece I guess I could consider my WIP. I'm tend to write thriller-style things; I love suspense and conflict and incorporate a lot of it into my writing. I'm starting college in a few weeks, and actually got into a specific dorm for writers I applied to, so I'm definitely excited about that.

Now that I've joined hopefully I can contribute something and get to know some of you better.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 10th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Hey, Matt, welcome to the forums. If you need anything, just ask. And luck with the school! Exciting stuff. Take advantage of that opportunity to write.

Best,
Bryan
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Matt in the Hat

Post by Matt in the Hat » August 10th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Thanks Bryan, that sounds good. And thanks, I'm getting pretty excited and I'm definitey planning to take advantage of it.

IlGrido

Post by IlGrido » August 11th, 2010, 2:04 am

Hey everyone,

My name is Mark and I just discovered the forum and blog today (on my birthday!). I have to say it looks quite nice.

I don't really have much to say right now as I am deafly exhausted but also really hot (I haven't got AC in my room unfortunately) so I'm not sure if I'll be doing much sleeping tonight, plus working on that WIP and everything. I thought about just lurking on this board but the temptation to join was too much to resist, so here I am.

I write mostly non fiction and poetry (are there any poets on here???) and will be featured in an upcoming book/online literary zine thing in the winter. Other than that, I haven't really gotten published much. Anyways, you'll find me on here from time to time as I am currently unemployed! I'm really looking for a supportive writer's community and also to just have some fun. I hope I can be welcome here.

Ok thanks,

Mark Ge

Anatole

Post by Anatole » August 11th, 2010, 2:44 am

Hello! Anatole here . . . in the early morning . . . not sleeping. *sigh*

Anyway, despite my username being a guy's name, I am most definitely a girl. I simply liked the way that "Anatole" sounded, and that's all. (I'm not quite sure what that says about me, but let's ignore my shallowness for now, 'kay?)
I started "writing" early, and wrote my first "book" when I was about 10. Needless to say, it didn't go anywhere, and I would be absolutely positively embarrassed if said "book" was found now. Lately, however, I have delved into YA fiction/paranormal/fantasy/whatever, thinking: Hey, I'm a YA, why not? Thus, a 200 page Word Perfect Document was born, affectionately titled Writing A. It was soon followed by a blockbuster sequel, Writing B. *dry humor*

Other important things to know about me: I'm obsessed with all things Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, and Sailor Moon; I have my own blog and youtube page (but who doesn't nowadays), and I am still in school, though thankfully I'm finally moving into the home stretch. *Please don't hold any of that against me.*

One final thing of interest: my Inkpop profile, http://www.inkpop.com/profile/db1e6f80- ... 1/anatole/

Sorry the link is so long, but there's no way to shorten it.
And that's it! I hope to have a good time on here, because you all seem like such great people! *waves*

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 11th, 2010, 10:27 am

Hi Mark, and welcome!

I hear you on the heat. Our air conditioning is down again and I do believe parts of my brain are melting out of my ears. I think I just lost algebra and trigonometry. But who really needs those, anyway?

If you need anything, ask away.

Bryan

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 11th, 2010, 10:28 am

Hi Anatole, and welcome the Bransforums. And they are good people here! Mostly. I have my sheriff's eye on a few. Beware! (Okay, nah, everyone's nice.)

Hope you find a home here, and if you have any questions drop me a line.

Best,
Bryan

Priscilla_James

Post by Priscilla_James » August 11th, 2010, 1:25 pm

Hi everybody! My name is Priscilla and I'm a complete newbie to the forums. I'm actually a write of short stories, essays and poetry. Nothing is published (yet), but I'm hoping to catch a deal pretty soon. . . . or at the very least, see if and how I can get a hold of a good literary agent to help me out.

I'm very inspired by the works of Albert Camus, Robert Frost and Ralph Waldo Emerson. I've often been told that my writing takes on bits and pieces of their structure, but I'm hoping to one day set myself apart . . .even if they ARE my heroes.
Either way, it's great to be here. I can't wait to read outstanding literature, meet new people and learn more about this industry. Take care, everyone!
what does it take to be a great writer?

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 11th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Hey Priscilla! Glad you found us. Take a peek around and if you need anything just holler.

Best,
Bryan

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 16th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Just signed up in the forums. I'm Stephanie. I'm a fairy novice writer (hence the title of my blog) still searching for my voice and that place where I just connect to my writing. I'm experimenting a lot with genre trying to find where I fit best. There are 3 novels sitting in my hard drive at the moment. My first was a romance, and will never see the light of day again. The second was a YA fantasy and my third is an adult urban/contemporary fantasy. That book is currently with a couple of people as betas after finishing the first round of revisions/edits on it. I'm an eternal student going back for a third degree, this time an associate's in culinary arts. I have a bachelor's and a master's prior to this and a brief semester attempting to be a graphic design student. (Which I hated so I transferred schools and shifted focus.)

I run a blog (http://www.novicewriterchronicles.blogspot.com), am on Twitter (@StephanieLMcGee), and on Facebook. (Sans the "L.")

Until school starts in September I'll have loads of time to hang out here in the forums. I look forward to meeting y'all.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 16th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Hey, Steph, glad you found us, and welcome to the forums. We're a friendly, helpful crew here, so jump on in. The water's warm. :)

If you need anything, just shout.

Best,
Bryan

fersnerfer

Post by fersnerfer » August 16th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Hi.

My name is Marlan and I write.

I'll be lurking a lot in the future until I feel more comfortable, but...

I am currently wrapping up my first novel and have to admit, I am sort of a bundle of nerves about it. Anyone else get the bigtime jitters when it comes down to Beta Readers?

I am rather new to the entire scene and I'm not quite sure if I am just super neurotic, or if anyone else has a ton of anxiety over their novels once they are close to being done.

Anyway, I plan on lurking a lot in the future. Enjoy the site and the discussions.

Take care.
-Marlan
-------------------------------------
http://marlanesque.wordpress.com/
Spoiler:
It turns out he really IS the killer!

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 16th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Hi Marlan,

Feel free to lurk away, but it's a good crowd here - very friendly and polite. Occasionally silly. But it's all between friends.

If you need anything, just give me a holler.

Best,
Bryan