Should self-published book be told

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
glenda

Should self-published book be told

Post by glenda » August 4th, 2010, 10:18 am

I self-published a book of 1,000 copies, which all were sold in local bookstores and private sales. There was a lot of coverage for this book on TV, radio, newspapers, and word of mouth throughout the state where I live. There were calls for this book even outside the state. Should I mention this when querying an agent, or not since self-publishing is not viewed as actually being published?

CharleeVale

Re: Should self-published book be told

Post by CharleeVale » August 4th, 2010, 5:32 pm

From everything I've heard, no. Whether or not your book did well, there are certain stigmas that go along with the term 'self-published.' Those stigmas probably won't help your cause when you're in the querying process, so leave it out.

CV

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 4th, 2010, 6:46 pm

If you have an ISBN on it, it's been published. An agent needs to know this. Self-publishing it has probably burned a lot of bridges. But not all. Now you need to prove it can sell, and that means sales numbers. Selling one thousand copies out of one thousand printed is a good start. Five thousand would be better. :) Keep it factual and tight and prove that it can sell.

Best of luck.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Quill

Post by Quill » August 4th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Are you querying the same book you self-published? If so, definitely mention it, seeing as you sold a thousand and got all that publicity all by your lonesome. Most self-published books sell under one hundred copies.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » August 5th, 2010, 8:03 am

First of all congrats on selling 1000 copies.

The questions I think most agents might want to know is does this book already have a isbn attached to it, are all 1000 copies accountable (royalties) and if you sold some of them yourself did you or are you claiming it on your taxes so you can prove actual sales. Also they might ask how long it took to sell that many copies and if you have a platform or not (blog, facebook, website, etc).

If you do have a platform this might be something to include in a query (don't quote me on this im not for sure) so an agent can see links to newpapers, tv, radio ads. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can point you in the right direction.

Good luck to you. I always like to hear people who self published and had success!

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » September 17th, 2010, 11:33 am

How long did it take you to sell the 1,000 copies? How did you go about doing that? What publisher did you use? Did you pay for any services? Do you have any general advice regarding the self-publishing process?

Big thanks.

Mira

Post by Mira » September 17th, 2010, 11:55 am

I'd e-publish this one. If you could sell 1000 through traditional self-publishing, I'd bet that Amazon would let you sell loads of copies. Sounds like you've got a winner there. Congratulations!

Once you've hit high numbers through e-publishing, you'll have something you can take to an agent.

glenda

Post by glenda » March 29th, 2011, 9:09 am

John Dillon wrote:How long did it take you to sell the 1,000 copies? How did you go about doing that? What publisher did you use? Did you pay for any services? Do you have any general advice regarding the self-publishing process?

Big thanks.
I don’t remember the exact time period that it took to sell all, but I will admit after a few turn downs from a few bookstores, I was praying desperately. But when one store ordered fifty at one time, I was overjoyed. This book got so much publicity because it was a novel based on a true story, and the book was banned, I was under a gag order, and when I finally broke the order, I had reporters telling me if they arrest you, you have one phone call, call us. It took over a year and half to get my book, and when I did, people were wanting it. After all was sold, one person placed an ad in the local paper willing to pay $50.00 for a copy of a book that had sold for $10. Too bad I didn’t have one to sell myself at that time. So it was the story, the publicity, and word of mouth. People was hearing about this book in other states. The only service I paid for was having the book printed. The only advice I can give is get all the publicity you can get. Call every local news outlet in your area, tell why yours is unlike any book out there. Good luck with your work.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » April 6th, 2011, 1:55 am

If your work had an ISBN yes, otherwise no.

And if the agent is saying, you have a stigma or you're not a writer because you self-published something and you actually sold it well, don't take that snobbish "professional" seriously (As you already did better than many agents and few publishers.). I also would suggest you to e-publish instead. First, you won't get a charity salary. Second, you'll be able to achieve better sales with it, especially as your novel already has a background.

Congratulations and good luck!

glenda

Post by glenda » May 11th, 2011, 8:19 am

Got another call for the book Monday (May 9, 2011). This person told me that she had checked with used book stores in the area and was told that the last book that came through guy's store, he sold it for $25.00;this paperback cost $10 new. She also said there was a waiting list for the book in these used book stores. Told me to check it out. Of course I did. I was told by one who sold it that he had not saw one of those books in a long time, that they were rare. He didn't actually have a waiting list, but told me he would take my name and # and call me if one came through. (I had not given him my name). The next store told me that he did not have one, but that yes, he had a waiting list. When I asked how many names on this list, he said 30-40. It blew me away. Again, I had not given my name, so I had to do my little dance quietly in my kitchen. Good thing it was not visible or this guy would have thought I was nuts! I have decided republish this book, as well as e-publish it. Thanks for all your advice and good wishes.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » June 9th, 2011, 5:48 pm

It sounds to me like what might be happening is the rarity of copies is driving the book sales, not necessarily the story. Though people do want to know what happened. This book will not have a "long haul" but will sell now and then be nothing.

Is it a current events type of book?

I would probably not mention it unless it has a direct relation to the book you're currently querying.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.