Are you a Crafter or an Artist?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Mira

Re: Are you a Crafter or an Artist?

Post by Mira » August 3rd, 2010, 2:59 pm

"I'm not looking to change souls. I'm just hungry"

LOL.

Color me embarassed for the misunderstanding. How much are you paying? I'm alittle short this month.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 3:12 pm

polymath wrote:A pitcher artistically crafted is likely to have a message if the pitcher only holds half as much liquid as a glass intended to be filled from it. Form for artistic purposes over functional purposes. It still fulfills its intended utilitarian purpose, but its artistic purpose prevails.
I'm struggling a bit to follow you on this. You might need to rephrase to get it through my skull today.

To use this symbolism, what I'm saying is that buying a gorgeous pitcher is all well and good until you get it home and realize the artist who made it decided it was more aesthetically pleasing with small holes in the bottom.

Better (if only a little) is the utilitarian pitcher that does what the advert says it does.

Best, of course, is the beautiful pitcher that holds water.

My ultimate point (erased, rephrased, erased, changed to a different point that I shouldn't even attempt, erased) is that... Ah, nevermind. I just don't want to read anymore manuscripts that use colors as adverbs.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 3:14 pm

Mira wrote:How much are you paying? I'm alittle short this month.
What flavor ya got? The little yellow chicky peep flavor or the lil pink bunny peep flavor?

Bonus points for anyone who knows where the 'human souls taste like peeps' comes from.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Emily J

Post by Emily J » August 3rd, 2010, 3:21 pm

Since I haven't made any money yet I'd have to go with artist.

If anyone actually offers me money for what I love to (and would be doing anyway) perhaps I will change sides.

I guess what I'm saying is, I aspire to being a sell-out. Somebody make me an offer! :)

I don't know about my soul tho...

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » August 3rd, 2010, 3:22 pm

Are you saying you don't like prose that's blushing with purple-y goodness?
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 3rd, 2010, 4:43 pm

Margo wrote:
Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:The Practical Artist. Isn't that a good title? I'm a sucker for good titles.
That is a good title.

P.S. Are you using that soul? I'll cut you a good deal.
Much like Homer Simpson, I gave mine to my wife long ago. I doubt she'll sell. She has all sorts of plans for it, I hear tell.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

xouba

Post by xouba » August 3rd, 2010, 5:15 pm

When I read the title of your post, my first impression was that you meant another thing with "artist" and "crafter". For me, and so to speak, a "crafter" is a writer driven by his left hemisphere, and an "artist" is a writer driven by his right hemisphere.

The crafter will spend more time caring for the correctness and coherence of his work. He'll develop the "hard facts" of his world, search historical references, investigate documentation about the subjects of the writing, etc. He'll squeeze each idea until it's been completely developed, tamed and structurated. But at the extreme, a crafter's work will be precise but cold. It will be a piece of clockwork.

The artist will be the opposite: he'll have a lot of ideas and pour a lot of feelings into the writing. But if unleashed, he'll be carried away by the muse and his writing will be surreal and incoherent, like a madman's ramblings. You'll be amazed by the insight of some pieces of the writing, but it'll be a mess on the whole.

The crafter needs artist's inspirations to give life to his work, and the artist needs crafter's tools to put some order to his internal chaos. Like the yin and yang, they complement each other.

I hope I've made myself misunderstood. Whenever I try to explain what I think, like now, I notice my limitations as a writer :-)

I'm more of a crafter, I think. I tend to stick to rules and try to make everything fit, and sometimes that destroys the good ideas that I could have. I'd need an artist as a muse :-)

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 7:02 pm

cheekychook wrote:Are you saying you don't like prose that's blushing with purple-y goodness?
I prefer cheesy goodness. Velveeta cheesy goodness, specifically. Locally made, don't you know. Seventh circle, by thirteenth generation cheese demons.

[Dear Velveeta corporation, that was a joke. It is not meant to imply that your fine processed cheese-like substance is actually manufactured in Hell. No need for the cease and desist letter.]

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 7:03 pm

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:Much like Homer Simpson, I gave mine to my wife long ago. I doubt she'll sell. She has all sorts of plans for it, I hear tell.
Ah, yes. I got my husband's in the divorce. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 7:06 pm

xouba wrote:I hope I've made myself misunderstood. Whenever I try to explain what I think, like now, I notice my limitations as a writer :-)
Oh dear, I'm afraid that was entirely understandable, and even well-written.

The good news is that since I agree with everything you wrote, I'm prepared to offer a bonus for the purchase of your soul. Darnest thing about souls, you can't just eat one.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 7:08 pm

Mira wrote: I should have titled it: Are you in this for an Income or something else?
In that case, my answer is yes.

polymath

Post by polymath » August 3rd, 2010, 9:37 pm

Margo wrote:I'm struggling a bit to follow you on this. You might need to rephrase to get it through my skull today.

To use this symbolism, what I'm saying is that buying a gorgeous pitcher is all well and good until you get it home and realize the artist who made it decided it was more aesthetically pleasing with small holes in the bottom.

Better (if only a little) is the utilitarian pitcher that does what the advert says it does.

Best, of course, is the beautiful pitcher that holds water.

My ultimate point (erased, rephrased, erased, changed to a different point that I shouldn't even attempt, erased) is that... Ah, nevermind. I just don't want to read anymore manuscripts that use colors as adverbs.
Sure. I worked at a tavern that sold ale in pitchers, quart mugs, and pint mugs. The pitcher held four pints. The ale in it sold for eight bucks. A pint cost two. The quart mug cost three and a half. Minding one's P's and Q's, the quart size was most cost effective. It was priced that way because fewer of the quart mugs were broken or stolen and cost less than the pint mugs or pitchers and because tavern management favored the visual aesthetic of tavern goers sloshing quart mugs.

On the other hand, a glassblower at a craft show sold ornamental pitcher shapes. Not very large. One would hold about as much nectar as a hummingbird sips from a single daffodil. They were very popular artworks. The artisan made a good living making and selling them at festivals and carnivals. I asked her if she was aware of the irony of making pitchers that held so little, if anything. Yep, she said, that's my message. Don't gorge on volume. Thanks for noticing.
Spread the love of written word.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 3rd, 2010, 11:08 pm

polymath wrote:On the other hand, a glassblower at a craft show sold ornamental pitcher shapes. Not very large. One would hold about as much nectar as a hummingbird sips from a single daffodil. They were very popular artworks. The artisan made a good living making and selling them at festivals and carnivals. I asked her if she was aware of the irony of making pitchers that held so little, if anything. Yep, she said, that's my message. Don't gorge on volume. Thanks for noticing.
Whaddaya know. That's what I thought you were saying. I'm becoming more proficient in polymathese.

Omega12596

Post by Omega12596 » August 4th, 2010, 12:31 am

I started out an 'artist' writing for myself and to stay sane. LOL, going from 60 hrs. a week to a SAHM was difficult. I wrote a massive novel that will never see the light of day, then I wrote some short stories, then an offer was made on one of those...

As far as the OP goes, I'd consider myself a 'crafter' now, but one who hasn't left the 'artist' behind. I write what I want to read, stories I want to share, but I keep in mind the market, my audience, etc. because I want to continue to reap financial benefit.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » August 4th, 2010, 1:09 am

Margo wrote:
cheekychook wrote:Are you saying you don't like prose that's blushing with purple-y goodness?
I prefer cheesy goodness. Velveeta cheesy goodness, specifically. Locally made, don't you know. Seventh circle, by thirteenth generation cheese demons.

[Dear Velveeta corporation, that was a joke. It is not meant to imply that your fine processed cheese-like substance is actually manufactured in Hell. No need for the cease and desist letter.]
If it weren't for Velveeta cheesy goodness cheese fries would lack their neon-yellow-orangy appeal. ;)
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing