CharleeVale

Re: What's your genre?

Post by CharleeVale » July 27th, 2010, 2:52 am

Seriously, Best. Club. Ever.

CV

Omega12596

Post by Omega12596 » July 27th, 2010, 4:09 am

Been lurking, but this thread was a real delight :D I love seeing so many fantasy writers.

I write across genres, which may be a road block should I ever go print, but works well in e-publishing. Action/adventure, paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi all with romantic/erotic elements. Although I have several mss. that don't involve romance, all of my paying work does :D Romance is also recession proof. Especially if it has explicit content.

I read, well, I'll read anything except non-fiction, generally. Although, one of my all time favorite books is non-fiction. I do read a lot of across the board romance(excepting Christian/religious themed romance), but I balance it with commercial fiction, thrillers, espionage/action, horror, UF and HF, sci-fi(hard and soft) and the occasional YA(I have two tween daughters).

Down the well

Post by Down the well » July 27th, 2010, 10:27 am

wildheart wrote:As far as sleeping better...usually I get depressed actually. Especially now since I'm about to start revising. Everything is better than my work. Hopefully I won't feel that way when I'm done though.

On a happier note: I can tell my next idea is better than the first one, which is lifting my spirits. I guess its true what they say. The more you write the better you'll get.
I can totally relate. And I like what Kristin Nelson always says before diving into one of her "reading from the slushpile" workshops: You're not the same writer today that you were six months ago or will be six months from now. So keep writing.
CharleeVale wrote:Seriously, Best. Club. Ever.
Seriously. :)
Last edited by Down the well on July 27th, 2010, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margo

Post by Margo » July 27th, 2010, 10:53 am

You'd all be really surprised how good herb tea can be. :) My contribution to the virtual meeting is decaf mint green tea and...hmmm...mousse! I can do tons of different kinds of mousseseseses. Pumpkin, maple-pumpkin, blueberry-orange, orange-buttermilk, orange-pineapple. (I have two extremely productive orange trees in the back yard. This year as soon as I picked the last oranges, I noticed the new ones coming in. I've never seen that before.)

And as an information contribution to the virtual meeting, I just noticed a post from a writer on Tor's site that mentions the author talking to her agent about UF and whether the market is saturated. The response was that it is still open, but not so much for work featuring vampires or demons. Good news for HeatherB and me, since we don't have vamp or demon MCs. Note: The Rejectionist doesn't seem too keen on the glut of angel characters, either, which I would suspect is related to the demon deluge.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 27th, 2010, 11:30 am

Margo wrote:My contribution to the virtual meeting is decaf mint green tea and...hmmm...mousse!
Oh Margo, I knew I liked you!! :D I'm a big fan of mint tea and drink it all the time. BTW, have you tried Tazo's Green Ginger tea? It's herbal, naturally decaf, and excellent.

And I totally concur...Best Club! Ever! Now I know why people love writer's groups...I feel like we should have a treehouse and secret knock and a "No Non-Writers Allowed" sign and share our work over candlelight (and snacks). :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Margo

Post by Margo » July 27th, 2010, 11:34 am

dios4vida wrote: BTW, have you tried Tazo's Green Ginger tea? It's herbal, naturally decaf, and excellent.
Oohhh, I have not. <writes furiously in pocket notebook> But I will. Ginger is the next best thing to mint. Raspberry is the next best thing to ginger.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 27th, 2010, 1:04 pm

All the cool kids write fantasy.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

lotrconfan

Post by lotrconfan » July 27th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Oh, mousse makes me think of Dealing with Dragons by Patrica C Wrede. Loved that series.

dios4vida: I'll be there if we have snacks!

Emily J

Post by Emily J » July 27th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Ok this thread is really making me hungry now.

Club fantasy4ever needs a secret handshake, and cookies, definitely cookies.

Also, I am squarely placed in the coffee faction. Tea is for sissy-pants (ducks in fear from the tea-drinkers) :)

Callum

Post by Callum » July 27th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Emily J wrote:Tea is for sissy-pants (ducks in fear from the tea-drinkers) :)
I think you've just managed to offend the entire British Nation. :P
My Blog. Please follow!
Knock, Knock. Who's there? Me. I kill you.

Margo

Post by Margo » July 27th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Emily J wrote:Tea is for sissy-pants (ducks in fear from the tea-drinkers) :)
<tea cup flies across the room, narrowly missing Emily J>

Re-align tea cup catapult three degrees to the left! To the left, I say! Is anyone listening? Oh, is it tea time? Nevermind then.

<shakes small fist> You just wait until we've finished our tea. And shortbread cookies. And had a short nap. Then you'll be sorry!

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 27th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Emily J wrote:Club fantasy4ever needs a secret handshake, and cookies, definitely cookies.
And a location! Dang it, we SO need to have meetings!!
Emily J wrote:Also, I am squarely placed in the coffee faction. Tea is for sissy-pants (ducks in fear from the tea-drinkers) :)
Oooh, you're gonna pay for that one! Feel the wrath of the steaming hot tea!! Wait, that's a waste of perfectly good tea...

We good now? Let's get some coffee. :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Emily J

Post by Emily J » July 27th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Good thing I ducked!

*runs and hides from tea-cup catapault*

I can't bring down the wrath of England! I am, afterall, an *honorary Brit. I guess I decided things were a bit too peaceful around here, not enough use of the foe button! My real plan was to embroil the newly founded fantasy club into a bitter feud between the tea drinkers and the coffee drinkers and in the fallout thin out the members and improve my own odds of being published! Muahaha, I am quite sneaky sneaky. Bring on the Great Beverage War!

*[note: honorary Brit = person who uses a proxy server to watch Dr. Who on the BBC website]

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 27th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Emily J wrote: My real plan was to embroil the newly founded fantasy club into a bitter feud between the tea drinkers and the coffee drinkers and in the fallout thin out the members and improve my own odds of being published!
So...I drink coffee...and tea...and I love both...does that mean I'm immune, or get hit by both sides?

Or does that mean that I take the fantasy4ever club as my own and stand above your beverage-wetted corpses? Mwahahahahahahaha!!!!

Yeah, okay, I'm not that evil (cough cough Emily J). I like y'all too much. If everyone puts their beverage in an opaque cup, none will be the wiser! We're all drinking something hot and yummy.

<squeals and ducks under flying cups>

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 27th, 2010, 8:35 pm

dios4vida wrote:So...I drink coffee...and tea...and I love both...does that mean I'm immune, or get hit by both sides?
You're not allowed to be on both side. I'll drink tea from time to time, but I definitely prefer coffee. You'll have to make your decision. :P
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla