Fess up...who's a gamer?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Anne_Kenny

Re: Fess up...who's a gamer?

Post by Anne_Kenny » July 23rd, 2010, 5:18 pm

I am a gamer! I actually write for the video game site http://www.platformnation.com My gamertag is Kanonei. And now you know :)

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » July 23rd, 2010, 7:28 pm

Me! *raise both hands*

Prefer old school fantasy rpg (except pc rpg... somehow they piss me off) but I play nearly everything out in the market. I'm not the 'OH-I-LIKE-TO-TEST-MY-SKILL-SO-NO-CHEAT/TRAINER/WHATEVER' type of gamer. If I feel like using cheat or trainers, I'd use it without skipping a heartbeat. I'm more to offline game than online since I prefer to play games with story (with ending) in it and online game usually has none.
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

FK7

Post by FK7 » July 23rd, 2010, 9:27 pm

Sadly, I am an addicted gamer. Mostly PC. I don't enjoy consoles much even though I own a Wii and PS3, but I've played some good games on them.

I enjoy RPG, RTS, MMO and shooters the most, in that order. My first RTS was Age of Empires (which I played competitively in my teenage hood... I was a terrible geek, but I did win a few thousand dollars through tournaments, which was a lot for me at the time). Then Starcraft (Starcraft 2 comes out this Tuesday after 12 years of wait!). Favorite RPGs include The Witcher, Mass Effect 1+2, Dragon Age: Origins, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and Fallout 3. Favorite action/shooters include Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64), Uncharted 2 (PS3), the original Tribes (PC), Half-Life 1+2 and Bioshock 1+2 as well as the God of War series.

Favorite MMO must have been EVE Online for which I wrote a manual (a guide covering a specific aspect of the game) which, ironically, was recently published in select countries... very geeky again.

Thankfully few people know all of this :D

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 23rd, 2010, 10:38 pm

Mira wrote:I just found out that Civilization 5 comes out in September. My life is now complete.

And Final Fantasy sets the standard for fantasty RPG, imho.
Oh wow, I wish I didn't know that.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » July 24th, 2010, 1:58 am

My hubby and I played Civilization a lot when we were dating. I dabbled a bit in some of the other war/strategy computer games out there, but now we're more into the board-game variety of game: Risk, Diplomacy, Settlers of Catan, Carcasonne, Condottiere. We don't want our kids to look over and see us making screen characters shoot and drop bombs on other screen characters. They don't need to know that that stuff goes on yet.

I can't believe that I didn't know that Civ 5 was coming out in September... Tempting...

Callum

Post by Callum » July 24th, 2010, 7:47 am

I've been gaming for years and I find that they're a very good source of inspiration. My top games that I'm playing at the moment:

*Dead Space (I've never s**t myself in so many directions before)
*Mass Effect 2
*Dragon Age: Origins
*Red Dead Redemption
*Batman: Arkham Asylum (<3 massive Batman fan, just waiting for a Superman game of equal awesomeness)
*Splinter Cell conviction
*Medieval 2: Total War
*Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
*Battlefield: Bad Company
*Bioshock 2

I love MMO's; I was (and still am) part of a major guild in the Matrix Online which has since, sadly, been closed down. I am getting very giddy for the new upcoming Star Wars MMO called the Old Republic and can't wait for it to come out next spring.
My Blog. Please follow!
Knock, Knock. Who's there? Me. I kill you.

Mira

Post by Mira » July 24th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Nathan - you're a gamer?? Right on. :)

I'm sorry to tell you about Civilization, though. My apologies. I know what you mean. That 'just one more turn is deadly'. I've already decided it will have to be a graduation gift for myself. No way I can take the risk during the school year.

Game on, fellow gamers!

sbaird42

Post by sbaird42 » July 26th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I would be willing to bet that upwards of 70% of fiction writers these days are gamers on the side. The two hobbies seem to go hand in hand. I wonder if it's more likely that playing games makes kids want to write fiction, or if the type of person that wants to write fiction also enjoys games.

I generally play games for the story-telling element, so my interest in the game is proportional to its quality of storyline. Video games as a story-telling medium is a fascinating subject. In a lot of ways, I don't think games have ever superceded some of those old SNES RPG's: Chrono Trigger, SeikenDensetsu (Sword of Mana) 3, etc. Although Half-Life 2 has got to be one of the most gripping, suck-you-in-and-make-you-believe-it's-real games I've ever seen.

Steppe

Post by Steppe » July 26th, 2010, 8:54 pm

What better subject for procrastinating.
started with Pong-1972, two plays for quarter and I have rarely stopped since.

Homeworld-2 on the laptop was unusually satisfying owing to its ability
to set up vast battles against with up to five CPU opponents.
Played Americas Army as a MMO game first person shooter for three years
until it got a little clunky at 3 Gigs to install. Maybe I'll play again
when my technology catches up to their state of the art graphics.

Fallout-3 was my most recent immersive gaming experience and once I finish
a game that demanding emotionally I tend to be a little less likely to game for a while.
I didn't know how many current trends that game embodied.
I was extremely satisfied in the common sense ways and practical
judgments of an overall view, but I could rip into it according to personal
biases. There was a moment when I realized the game promised more than
it delivered and I felt let down after mastering the sub plots only to find I had
exited the main story line due to an inability to spot an innocuous trigger (intercom)
to open a location. I had to consult an online strategy guide and from that point considered
the game a personal defeat in that I selected it and continued playing even after something
seemed amiss. Once back on the main plot line playing a malevolent shoot everyone in sight evil
character, the game tried to force me to submit to a man posing as a little girl and do his killing
for him, which would have lowered my character from a psychopath who understood the rules and
broke them strategically for his own benefits, to a sociopath incapable of of any semblance or
knowledge of right and wrong, willing to serve the will of a psychopath. Once again I passed and
used the strategy guide to code my way out of that section. Thankfully I played all the add-ons first
and then finished the main plot line. By the time I was finished the saves were getting large and the game
got buggy. I admired the amount of work and effort that went into the game as a first time collaborative
effort between a first person shooter team and a established quest game team.

My advice before starting that game would be prepared to occasionally consult a strategy guide.
I still marvel at gaming as a minor miracle of sorts. Fallout-3 ran about 100 million $ to produce; amazing.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 26th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Mira wrote:Nathan - you're a gamer?? Right on. :)

I'm sorry to tell you about Civilization, though. My apologies. I know what you mean. That 'just one more turn is deadly'. I've already decided it will have to be a graduation gift for myself. No way I can take the risk during the school year.

Game on, fellow gamers!
Ha - I'm more of a former gamer. I just don't have any time to play anything anymore. But every time I finish a novel I'll play Civilization for a little while. It is definitely deadly.

tchann

Post by tchann » July 27th, 2010, 11:55 am

I am happily and proudly a gamer - first and foremost is World of Warcraft, which I've been playing for four years and blogging about for two. :) I just finished up Dragon Age: Origins, and started replaying with two characters that aren't quite as goody two-shoes as the first one was. Final Fantasy games are a favorite of mine, as are turn-based strategy games (i.e. Shining Force, FFT) and fighting games. And then there's the bumper sticker on my car, which reads "My other car is in a katamari."

I'm a larper and a tabletop gamer as well, Dungeons & Dragons and White Wolf being my favorites, although 3rd edition BESM can be a lot of fun as well. I'm currently in a Call of Cthulhu game and loving it. ^.^

Margo

Post by Margo » July 27th, 2010, 12:18 pm

tchann wrote:Final Fantasy games are a favorite of mine, as are turn-based strategy games (i.e. Shining Force, FFT) and fighting games.
Shining Force??? OMG, I haven't heard anyone mention that game in so long. That's the one that got me hooked on video games. I recall that I rented it one night and started playing at about 8pm, realized at around 1am that I needed to go to the bathroom...when I finished the battle I was currently involved in, then realized it was 6am and I'd forgotten I needed to go to the bathroom.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 27th, 2010, 12:41 pm

So, fellow gamers: has anyone ever played a game called Munchkin? It's a tabletop RPG that parodies the entire fantasy/gaming genre. There are references to the very common (elves and trolls) to the obscure (you should know better than to pick up a duck in a dungeon!) and everything in between. There are I think 20 different expansions/individual games from Munchkin Fu to Munchkin Cthuhlhu. It's a hilarious and entertaining game. If you haven't tried it (and have a good sense of humor) you should definitely look into it!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Mira

Post by Mira » July 27th, 2010, 4:47 pm

I'm alittle embarrassed to admit I like tabletop RPG also. I played D&D for years, and just stopped last year before starting school. Although I will say that being a Dungeon Master and creating your own world and adventure was an intensely creative (and time consuming) endeavor. Hard work, too.

Munchin sounds tempting, dios. :)

Nathan - I actually started using a timer with Civiliazation that I placed on the other side of the room. Otherwise, like Margo, I'd start and wouldn't come to Earth again for hours and hours. :)

ryanznock

Post by ryanznock » July 27th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Don't feel embarrassed to like tabletop RPGs. In fact, if you're looking for a friendly community to keep up to date with RPG developments, check out ENWorld (www.enworld.org). The messageboards there are very friendly and people share creative ideas all the time. It does have a focus toward the latest edition of D&D (4th edition, released in 2008), but any gamer is welcome.

I got my start writing for an audience there, thanks to the Storyhour forum. Yes, I know several agents who say they don't ever want a query for a novel that's based on someone's D&D campaign, but for a fledgling writer it's a handy way to practice your storytelling. Normally it's hard to make a fantasy setting feel real, because you've never been there, but if you draw on a D&D game, you've sorta already experienced the world. Plus, tabletop RPGs are much more conducive to group creativity than video games. They're like weekly brainstorming sessions with your friends.

(And yes, my first 3 novels were all thinly-veiled adaptations of my D&D games. I think it's out of my system now.)