How do you celebrate finishing a book?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Bron

Re: How do you celebrate finishing a book?

Post by Bron » July 21st, 2010, 7:00 am

I got a massage voucher for Christmas from some friends, and I decided to use it after finishing the next round of revisions. It was a really nice way to reward myself, so I decided to do something similar at the end of each round. I then happened to win a facial voucher, so that was going to be the next reward, except this round of edits is taking longer than expected and the voucher is going to expire before I finish :-) A pre-emptive reward maybe?

I think you should do something, whether it's buy yourself a nice bottle of wine, give yourself an entire day to do nothing but laze around and read, or even just buy yourself a doughnut. Finishing editing, or a first draft, or whatever milestone, should be marked in some way! Let's face it, the agent/publishing deal celebrations take years to reach, so let's treat ourselves in a little way when we can!

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 22nd, 2010, 6:35 am

Ermo wrote:I like how William did it - that's good stuff. And Heather - you really don't allow yourself even one private moment of celebration?
Nope. I mean I have heaps of private moments and hang out with my friends etc but it has nothing to do with my book. I figure I'll celebrate the day I snag an agent/editor. And when I do celebrate, it will be a week-long bender.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am

When I type "The End" the husband and I go out for sushi, I spend an entire weekend playing a video game I've been putting off non-stop, and then monday morning I start on edits by reading the whole thing from start to finish.

There is also a lot of screaming and self-congratulating and a ton of "THANK GOD I NEVER THOUGHT I'D FINISH" too.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

heyimkt

Post by heyimkt » July 22nd, 2010, 7:02 pm

Hahah I love all of these! Well, I JUST finished...and I've told everybody who cares, and doesn't care, and have been thinking...whoa. I'm FINISHED!!!! hahah But no, to celebrate, I'm giving the ending to my friend, getting excited all over again with her, planning on not writing for a good week, and buying tons of music I've been dying to...just because :)

polsmurphy

Post by polsmurphy » July 23rd, 2010, 12:32 pm

Congratulations heyimkt!!

I happy dance pulling out all the moves: the mash, twist, cabbage patch. :) Then I flip through my drawer of ideas until one of them jumps out at me. I start plotting that one. Then after a week or two I go back and do edits.

When I got the news that I would be published in an anthology I was in an airport and happy danced before I realized it. Onlookers clapped...That was really fun.

When I grab an agent I don't know what I'll do.

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » July 23rd, 2010, 1:35 pm

A glass of Dom Perignon and a single cigarette.

Wait... no. Wrong writer.

Usually I look up glassy-eyed from my monitor and let the idea that I've hit THE END sink in. It takes a minute. I get kinda shaky. Then I go and tell my husband (if he's still awake). And I go and get myself some Scotch or bourbon, 'cause I've earned it!
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

BRSloan

Post by BRSloan » July 23rd, 2010, 2:49 pm

Frozen pizza, coffee ice cream, and The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Ooooh yeah.
-Ben (http://www.benthewriter.com)
Check out my blog/website. It has words...and pictures! Trust me, it's awesome.

NHWriter

Post by NHWriter » July 23rd, 2010, 5:26 pm

I'm like Heather B. I finish one, I try to decide which one I want to work on next. I'll usually have two or three false starts before I find an ms that catches and I start working on it full-time.

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » July 23rd, 2010, 7:28 pm

I sleep till my body and my mind reject sleeping.
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

Scribble

Post by Scribble » July 23rd, 2010, 7:55 pm

Sit back and smile.

Then maybe go and drink some chocolate milk.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » July 23rd, 2010, 9:42 pm

When I finish a PB, I celebrate by smiling a lot, making myself a treat like an ice cream sundae, and sending it out.

I haven't finished a novel yet, but when I do, I'll let you know what happens. :-)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 23rd, 2010, 10:39 pm

I actually celebrate with a week or two of the computer game Civilization (in my free time at least). I geek out about that game in the biggest way.

Nick

Post by Nick » July 23rd, 2010, 11:28 pm

I sit down the next morning/later that day/whatever the appropriate time difference is and say it's time to start the next one. If a man up and celebrated every time he did something, he'd never get anything done, and I've already got enough problems keeping myself on track with writing. Take the time to celebrate and I'd never write again.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » July 24th, 2010, 1:30 am

BRSloan: Coffee ice cream... Mmmm... Yum. Especially when topped with dark cholotate-covered peanuts.

Nathan: Oh, my God, I LOVE Civilization! My husband and I dated over that game; we'd take turns playing while the other one watched over the player's shoulder. That's the first game I am going to let my kids play when we start letting them play computer games. We've got whole strategies worked out, and everything. I miss that game! (No time now that we have kids and I'm trying to write for money.) Boo-hoo. It might be a good way to celebrate when I finish my WIP; on the other hand, I might get sucked so far into it that I'd only come out occasionally, dazed and squinting, for sustenance. Civilization is addictive that way. It could be dangerous.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » July 25th, 2010, 2:12 am

Actually, I just "finished" my first draft today. I had no idea other writer's celebrated such a thing...but I have to admit I did imagine screaming from the rooftops...or at the very least tell my hubby and allow myself a few hours to pig out. Instead here I am on my laptop hard at work planning my next WIP while I let the first rest. When August rolls around I'll start the edits.
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.