What's your genre?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Heather B

What's your genre?

Post by Heather B » July 19th, 2010, 6:35 pm

What genre do you write in?

Is it the same as what you read?

I know writers are supposed to read widely outside of their genre but I have a hard time pulling myself away from fantasy. That said, a lot of published writers don't read their genre at all.

Personally, I like to know what's out there. It helps me sleep better at night.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

heyimkt

Re: What's your genre?

Post by heyimkt » July 19th, 2010, 6:56 pm

YA urban fantasy, paranormal romance, and dystopian :)

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 19th, 2010, 7:04 pm

I try to read in my genre (YA/New adult) but if something grabs me outside of it, I'm totally for it. I've recently been obsessed with Margaret Atwood books. *love!*

CV

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » July 19th, 2010, 7:12 pm

I write commercial fiction, with an apparent leaning toward women's fiction, depending on your definition of women's fiction. ;)

I read commercial fiction (including, but not limited to, women's fiction... *cough*), some literary fiction, classics, the occasional YA series (either out of nostalgia or because someone is insisting I do it), and a good number of "boy books" (so I know what my sons are reading/enjoying).

I don't generally read sci-fi/fantasy...but if someone pushes a particular book I will.

When choosing what I want to read I don't decide by genre so much as I do the overall tone of the writing---I like certain styles and voices, others I can't wade through. If it's a book with well-described characters, who you feel like you really get to know, then I'm hooked, regardless of genre. I guess I need to find an emotional attachment in order to enjoy a book---I can't think of a single exception to that rule for books that I've really liked. I'm a sucker for a sympathetic character, human or otherwise.

My own work always has very detailed characters so I definitely try to create the type of writing I enjoy reading.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

WilliamMJones

Post by WilliamMJones » July 19th, 2010, 8:27 pm

I write YA fantasy. I also read it. Unfortunately, that seems to describe alot of people, so I have some competition.

Mira

Post by Mira » July 19th, 2010, 9:24 pm

I don't have a clue. Still figuring that one out. :)

Probably non-fiction down the road, definitely want to try my hand at humor, but other than that....not sure yet.

craig

Post by craig » July 19th, 2010, 9:30 pm

I WRITE dark character-driven soft sci-fi.

I READ... not so much of that... I find a real gap in that particular vein, so I read what I can, but it's hard to find. (Plus, I find a lot what is available to be not to my liking for various reasons.) I read a ton of Star Trek, a bunch of other sci-fi, general thrillers (like Rollins or Preston & Child), children and YA books (like Diary of a Wimpy Kid or the Alex Rider series), the occasional non-fiction graphic novel, and a fair bit of social justice non-fiction books (subjects like war affected children, genocide, poverty, AIDS, slavery, etc).

But I find that a lot of what I read influences what I write. Reading tons of up-close and personal books on devastating global issues has helped me express pain and despair, children and YA books has helped me get things flat-out clear, graphic novels have inspired me to paint pictures with words, thrillers encourage me to keep the pace and adrenaline high, and of course any sci-fi book will influence writing sci-fi.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 19th, 2010, 11:41 pm

WilliamMJones wrote:I write YA fantasy. I also read it. Unfortunately, that seems to describe alot of people, so I have some competition.
Bring it on ;)

cheekychook, I know what you mean about voice. The two authors that immediately come to mind are Maggie Alderton and Richelle Mead.

And Mira, first Whisky, now Non-Fiction? Really? I never would have picked that.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Down the well

Post by Down the well » July 20th, 2010, 9:40 am

All of my novels have been in the fantasy genre. I would call them "light" fantasy, though. I don't build elaborate other-worlds, but sometimes I like injecting an element of magic. In the case of my WIP, the thing that makes it fantasy is the setting. It takes place six hundred years in the future, but other than that it's just an adventure/romance story.

The fantasy I read is usually the lighter stuff. I like Alice Hoffman, Libba Bray, Diana Gabaldon. Otherwise, I read classics, literary, thrillers, etc. I'll basically read any genre as long as the story and characters are engaging. And I like historical non-fiction, too. I adore David McCullough.

Mira

Post by Mira » July 20th, 2010, 10:43 am

But Heather. The epic battle between good Whisky and evil Bourbon, is non-fiction. :)

But what's your genre? Did you share it? I couldn't find it...

Nomad0404

Post by Nomad0404 » July 20th, 2010, 11:26 am

I read a lot of books like Clive Cussler, Dan Brown etc so Action Adventure Thriller?

I also read a lot of Fantasy, Terry Pratchet, David Eddings, Robin Hobb, Naomi Novak for example

Then there is what I think is YA Fantasy like Phillip Pullman, Jonathan Stroud and most recently Aprilynne Pike as I've just finished Spells.

I am writing what I think is possibly a middle grade/YA Fantasy book aimed at pretty much the same demographic as the first Harry Potter book would have been.

Next up I am going back to Naomi Novak.

Phil

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 20th, 2010, 12:21 pm

I join Heather, WilliamMJones, and Down the well in the fantasy genre. I stick to the high fantasy, though I try to steer clear of elves, dragons, dwarves, and faeries. I like to create my own species and magic. It's labor-intensive but I like it because it gives my imagination something to work on other than the alternative.

I have been known to read outside my genre - after all, my all-time favorite book isn't fantasy, it's The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I read a lot of classics in the past and will venture into other genres but I typically keep to fantasy (urban and traditional) and some sci-fi. I tend to get bored in books that don't have some element of magic.

craig, since you like dark, character-driven sci-fi, I was wondering if you've tried the Forgotten Realms series by R.A. Salvatore (yeah, I know it's fantasy not sci-fi). He has some very dark characters. Some of the books are lighter than the others, but there are some that focus solely on the scheming race of dark elves or an assassin named Artemis Entreri. If you feel like giving fantasy a try you might like those. Just a suggestion. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

bcomet

Post by bcomet » July 20th, 2010, 12:33 pm

All of my projects have been a little different and yet they all seem to fall into Magical Realism.
There are parallel worlds with holes or openings, and characters who can travel or see or fall in love–for a time anyway–in a world not their own, or who can find themselves in between the two worlds, wondering how or even if they can make a choice.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 20th, 2010, 12:45 pm

bcomet wrote:All of my projects have been a little different and yet they all seem to fall into Magical Realism.
There are parallel worlds with holes or openings, and characters who can travel or see or fall in love–for a time anyway–in a world not their own, or who can find themselves in between the two worlds, wondering how or even if they can make a choice.
Those sound really cool! :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

bronwyn1

Post by bronwyn1 » July 20th, 2010, 1:54 pm

YA and LitFic (adult). Though someone did say once my YA book could be considered "Literary YA."

I read YA and adult LitFic too. And nonfiction that interests me.
Last edited by bronwyn1 on July 20th, 2010, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.