Summer Reading for kids

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Susan Quinn

Re: Summer Reading for kids

Post by Susan Quinn » July 16th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Not only Percy Jackson, but Rick Riordan's new book The Red Pyramid - awesome!! I have lots of lists (with reading levels and some content guidelines) for advanced readers ages 8-12 on my blog Ink Spells. In particular, check out the Suggested Middle Grade Reads, or the listings by genre. :)

Keeping those little ones well supplied with books is a constant challenge.

Also: my 7yo just got into the Guardians of Ga'hoole, the series about the owls - and there's a movie coming out in the fall (which always gets my kids pumped).
Susan Kaye Quinn (young adult and middle grade author)
ImageImage

Robin

Post by Robin » July 16th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Thanks Susan! I was wondering how RR's new books were. Will put them on the list.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Susan Quinn

Post by Susan Quinn » July 16th, 2010, 9:37 pm

If you're a Riordan fan, especially a Percy fan, he has a new series coming out in the fall (The Lost Heroes- another Olympians series that peripherally involves Percy). My kids are already psyched for it!
Susan Kaye Quinn (young adult and middle grade author)
ImageImage

Nomad0404

Post by Nomad0404 » July 21st, 2010, 11:54 am

Have you though about Wings and Spells?

http://www.aprilynnepike.com/

Rhonda

Post by Rhonda » July 26th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I see someone mentioned The Chronicles of Narnia, and I'll second that. At least for my son, the series has been a favorite since I first read it to him at age 6. He's read it all to himself more than once and he's now 10 years old. Another recommendation is The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. Both of my kids liked that book at around age 8. Don't pre-judge the book by the movie if you saw that. It was one of the worst adaptations of a book to movie I've ever seen. If you're looking for a lighter, quick read series, my daughter used to love Katie Kazoo Swtcheroo. While not amazing literature, they're books kids seem to be able to read over and over. I've even seen my daughter pick them up when she was bored and in between books in midle school.

daydreamin

Post by daydreamin » July 27th, 2010, 9:15 pm

I second Little Princess and Secret Garden. Very good reads.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. Great imagination.
The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke