East Coast Heatwave

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Mira

Re: East Coast Heatwave

Post by Mira » July 7th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Glad to hear it was nice to read, Holly. :) I hope it cools off very, very soon!

Margo, hmmm. Good. I was hoping for something better. Let's hold out for the Ballagio. And I want orchids, please, not some common roses. After all, I'm a STAR.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » July 7th, 2010, 4:44 pm

I live in NH and this is the fourth day in a row that temperatures have topped 100 degrees.

I'd type more, but.....

*swoon*

:thud
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 7th, 2010, 5:44 pm

I'm up in Quebec City, and it's as hot here as everywhere else.

Yet yesterday, I went Mountain Hiking (with 4L of waters, if not more). Nine kilometers up in the mountains, but it was a forest-y area so I was in the shade most of the time. Plus, we found something interesting: there were parts of the tracks in small 'coves' along the mountainside, and it created pockets of cool air. And by cool, I mean oh-my-god-I-want-to-sleep-here cool.

We have no air conditioner, but we have a basement. I love my basement. :)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Nick

Post by Nick » July 8th, 2010, 8:21 am

It's not so bad yet (still very very hot) but it's supposed to break 100 here again. That makes four days of breaking 100 and it was in the upper 90s on Sunday. The weather is just whack this year. Blizzard in December. Three blizzards in February. Heat wave in July. What's next? Rampant tornados in October? I'm just thankful for the AC. Temperatures of 89+ give me really nasty migraines and often make me actually, physically sick. This week would be a bitch without it. I don't know about the rest of the Coast, or even the rest of my state, but the Philadelphia area is supposed to break the heat next Tuesday or Wednesday. Not entirely sure I believe it, but even if it is true, it's only supposed to go from being consistently in the hundreds to being in the low 90s/upper 80s again.

I'm moving to Finland.

Emily White

Post by Emily White » July 8th, 2010, 9:15 am

I'm surrounded by Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, so the New York temperature is slightly cooler here. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even run the A/C if it weren't for the kids. I've lived through 130-145 degree weather wearing layers of clothing and body armor, so this is actually pretty bearable.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

Quill

Post by Quill » July 8th, 2010, 10:36 am

Emily White wrote: I've lived through 130-145 degree weather wearing layers of clothing and body armor, so this is actually pretty bearable.
Yowza! Where does it get that hot? Even Phoenix, Arizona doesn't get over 120.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 8th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Quill wrote:
Emily White wrote: I've lived through 130-145 degree weather wearing layers of clothing and body armor, so this is actually pretty bearable.

I think she's talking Iraq. Even the metaphors there are hot.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 8th, 2010, 12:36 pm

You know, we Arizonans joke that "at least it's a dry heat." I lived in Kansas for one year and holy cow, we really are lucky on that!! I'll take 110 w/ 10% humidity WAY before 90 w/ 80% humidity. I hiked through Petra, Jordan when it was 130 once and that was more tolerable than a super-hot Kansas summer.

Here are some virtual ice packs to place all over your body, on your pillows, and lay across your couches so at least something is cool. Also, some iced Arnold Palmers (the most refreshing drink ever!) and super-heavy-duty A/C fans.

Please don't melt, East Coasters! The boards wouldn't be nearly as fun without y'all.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Emily White

Post by Emily White » July 8th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:
Quill wrote:

I think she's talking Iraq. Even the metaphors there are hot.
Indeed. :D

Iraq and Kuwait, actually. My first day in Kuwait it was nearly 150 and the breeze was hotter than the standing air. It literally felt like standing in a convection oven. Ah, memories.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

Quill

Post by Quill » July 8th, 2010, 5:56 pm

That's hotter than the highest ever officially recorded!

The hottest I can remember with humidity was 105 degrees at the Great Lakes Naval Academy, north of Chicago. We were there for a nephew's graduation, and the poor guys had to stand at attention for some time in the sweltering hanger. Towards the end some fainted and had to be carried off.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 8th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Wow. I'm pretty sure even Queensland doesn't get that hot, and I lived up north for a couple of years.

While you guys are begging for rain, I have entirely too much of it. I'm sure I've got some express post bags around here somewhere, I'll mail it to you.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Emily White

Post by Emily White » July 8th, 2010, 7:55 pm

Quill wrote:That's hotter than the highest ever officially recorded!

The hottest I can remember with humidity was 105 degrees at the Great Lakes Naval Academy, north of Chicago. We were there for a nephew's graduation, and the poor guys had to stand at attention for some time in the sweltering hanger. Towards the end some fainted and had to be carried off.
Well, maybe the thermostat was broken, but it was recording 146 (and it felt like it).

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 9th, 2010, 10:40 pm

According the mental_floss magazine, the highest temperature ever recorded was in Iran. It was 159 degrees.

Just FYI, the lowest was in Antarctica. It was -128.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 9th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Well I must thank you guys for sending that sunshine my way. Always good to get some nice sunny days in winter.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Tori

Post by Tori » July 11th, 2010, 2:29 am

I like the heat! I can't wait for it to spike up again like the handy weather people say it's going to (at least they say that for northern Ohio). I even like the humidity. It's too bad my family doesn't, they insist on the ac.