East Coast Heatwave

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Holly

East Coast Heatwave

Post by Holly » July 6th, 2010, 5:58 pm

What are you doing to beat the heat (and I don't mean the Miami Heat)?

Me, I'm hiding in my old house with the A/C going, the fan on high, and the blinds pulled.

I walk my collie at 6:30 a.m. She shakes from the heat by 8:30, so I have to get out there early. At 9:00 I take her to work with me, but I drop her off and then park the car -- it's just too hot for her to walk across the parking lot.

The grass on my lawn crunches when I walk on it. Yesterday I opened umbrellas over some small hydrangea bushes because they're in shock by late afternoon.

Quill

Re: East Coast Heatwave

Post by Quill » July 6th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Bloody hot here in central Arizona, too, and I don't have air conditioning in my home or truck. I therefore limit driving, limit working outside, and keep the house shut in the day and open at night. At least we tend to have cool nights, being near a mile high. And at least it's not Phoenix, which is always fifteen or more degrees warmer.

I drink plenty of fluids, do little cooking, and eat more fresh fruits and raw veggies this time of year.

I also wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts outside nearly always, since my work is usually in the sun. And a good hat.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 6th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Our air conditioning is broken. Gah. The 95 degree heat is bad enough, but it's the humidity that kills you. It's like breathing underwater without gills. And the baby has, oddly enough, a cold with lung congestion. Poor miserable little guy. We're gonna crash tonight at the in-laws, and the new air conditioning system is supposed to be installed tomorrow. It better be. I'm feeling a little like the Wicked Witch of the West right now. Her last scene, you know the one...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 6th, 2010, 10:18 pm

Quill wrote:And at least it's not Phoenix, which is always fifteen or more degrees warmer.
Thank God it's not Phoenix!! I can handle the 105 much better just knowing that I'm not in Phoenix.

(GO CATS!!)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Holly

Post by Holly » July 6th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:Our air conditioning is broken. Gah. The 95 degree heat is bad enough, but it's the humidity that kills you. It's like breathing underwater without gills. And the baby has, oddly enough, a cold with lung congestion. Poor miserable little guy. We're gonna crash tonight at the in-laws, and the new air conditioning system is supposed to be installed tomorrow. It better be. I'm feeling a little like the Wicked Witch of the West right now. Her last scene, you know the one...
A tornado and then your air-conditioning goes. This can mean only one thing. You are due some serious good luck.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 7th, 2010, 12:01 am

Thanks, Holly. What do you think? Lottery ticket? :)
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 7th, 2010, 12:26 am

Holly wrote:
Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:Our air conditioning is broken. Gah. The 95 degree heat is bad enough, but it's the humidity that kills you. It's like breathing underwater without gills. And the baby has, oddly enough, a cold with lung congestion. Poor miserable little guy. We're gonna crash tonight at the in-laws, and the new air conditioning system is supposed to be installed tomorrow. It better be. I'm feeling a little like the Wicked Witch of the West right now. Her last scene, you know the one...
A tornado and then your air-conditioning goes. This can mean only one thing. You are due some serious good luck.
Seriously! Hope you all find a cool spot in the meantime, Bryan.

Holly

Post by Holly » July 7th, 2010, 1:19 am

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:Thanks, Holly. What do you think? Lottery ticket? :)
Don't know, but I'd get out there this week with a smile on my face. The universe owes you.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » July 7th, 2010, 3:25 am

I guess you guys really don't want to know then, that it's raining where I live. Damn winter. I'm not good with the cold. Bring on Arizona any day...

FYI, just checked and it's currently 13 degrees (Celsius, that is). :(
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Margo

Post by Margo » July 7th, 2010, 10:55 am

So as a resident of Central CA, I'm resisting the urge to put on a Monty Python accent and reinact the Four Yorkshiremen sketch:

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Which is to say that extended triple digit temps are as routine here as walking to school in the snow, uphill both ways. Last year, we were in triple digits everyday for 6 weeks and in mostly triple digits for two more weeks beyond that. Our highest temp was something like 111 or 112. Sympathy cards and donations may be sent to.... :)

Though I do have a wee bit o' sympathy for those of you with broken A/C (I've suffered that one the last two years in a row) and the ones who live places that don't usually even need A/C.

Mostly, I have sympathy for people who live in snow. Don't see how ya can do it. I can't take three steps in the stuff before I'm on my butt.

Edit: Oh, and sympathy for little Ink. I've never in my life been so miserable as when I caught a July cold from the A/C in a freaking hotel conference room (7 subarctic days of it!).
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » July 7th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Boy, I hate heat, and I'm just miserable in humidity. Holly, we had a heat wave here years ago, and it was so hard on the plants, not to mention the people! I'm sending cool, refreshing, breezy waves your way. I hope they reach you very soon.

Bryan, so sorry little Bryan feels miserable. Poor thing. I hope the air conditioning gets installed pronto, and all the Bryan family feels better!

Margo

Post by Margo » July 7th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Mira wrote:I'm sending cool, refreshing, breezy waves your way.
Now that is a job skill. I don't care what the economy is like. You're employable. :P
Last edited by Margo on July 7th, 2010, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » July 7th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Margo - finally! Finally someone recognizes my special talent, which is to type meaningless phrases into blog posts. I could do it all day without a second thought.

I wonder if it pays well, and what the benefits are.

Holly

Post by Holly » July 7th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Mira wrote:Margo - finally! Finally someone recognizes my special talent, which is to type meaningless phrases into blog posts. I could do it all day without a second thought.

I wonder if it pays well, and what the benefits are.

Not meaningless at all. I enjoyed the thought of the breezes, so thank you very much!

I played my thunderstorm CD all day at work today... I can wish.

Margo

Post by Margo » July 7th, 2010, 3:21 pm

Mira wrote:...which is to type meaningless phrases into blog posts.
Doh! Well, you're a marketing nightmare. The Mirage and MGM were in a bidding war. We...ahem, I mean You were this far >----< from a Vegas contract. Private dressing room, fresh roses and mineral water before every show, a full suite, a private masseuse on call. It woulda been sweet!