Do you need a Critique Partner?

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
Andrea White

Re: Do you need a Critique Partner?

Post by Andrea White » June 3rd, 2010, 2:48 pm

I have a couple projects that need someone other than my sister to read them!

The first is womens fiction, about 86,000 words (obviously you we can decide how much you'd like to read). It's finished and I'm getting ready to start seriously editing so feedback would be great.

One of my others is a mystery in progress and about 50,000 words right now. I'm hoping for some advice on story flow/characters.

I can commit to reading about a chapter, maybe two a week for summer (since my kids are home during the day), more in the fall. I am willing to read anything but horror/scifi since that's really not to my taste I may not be the best judge of it.

Gina Frost

Post by Gina Frost » June 5th, 2010, 10:07 pm

I am new to the forums, have already left comments on some of the excerpts that people have written and have done one critique exchange which I enjoyed very much. If anyone is looking for someone to critique their work, please send me a PM. I am not an expert in all the details of grammar, but I am not a slouch in my critiques either. I will be honest in what I think of the story, in ways that it might be improved from my perspective as an avid reader. I am not concerned with genre as I am willing to read anything if it holds my interest.

I am currently writing two completely separate stories as well in the fantasy genre. Though you are under no obligation to trade critiques with me, it would be nice to receive feedback on them, at least the first few chapters. Just let me know if you are at all interested in taking a look at my stories as well.

As a side note, anyone who wants me to take a look, I would appreciate it if you could copy and paste the story into the email, I prefer not to open attachments as I do not use Microsoft Word.

Looking forward to reading more wonderful stories and hopefully receiving some more opinions on mine.

Gina

RebeccaHamilton

Post by RebeccaHamilton » June 26th, 2010, 9:50 am

Writing Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Will Read Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Gothic or Historical Horror, or Mystery
My novel is about 95,000 words and I can probably critique 25-50 pages per week.

I can provide samples of my critiques to anyone who might be interested and would prefer to do a 5 page trial critique before committing to a long term crit partnership.

For more information on
How I critique (incl samples of critique, my availability, and my strengths/weaknesses), what I'm looking for, and a sample of my own writing, please see my blog post requesting beta readers
http://rebecca-hamilton.com/?p=447

fivecats

Post by fivecats » June 29th, 2010, 8:15 pm

::EDITED::

I found one.

And, yes, a good, compatible CP is worth their weight in gold. My CP's insights into what worked and wasn't working in my WIP (along with suggestion on what to improve) have been better than I had ever imagined.

It took me a long time to find the right person. I know it can be frustrating, but if you're looking, keep looking!

-- Tom
Last edited by fivecats on October 17th, 2010, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amandak695

Post by amandak695 » October 8th, 2010, 5:18 am

Lunetta22 wrote:Also, I think that maybe starting with the first two or three chapters would work, just to see how well we'd work together. :)
I also think so.

clara_w

Post by clara_w » October 8th, 2010, 9:44 am

This thread is a great idea! I'm looking, like everyone else here, for critique partners.

I have written a 95.000 words YA fantasy in the final stages of revision.
I'm a thorough critique partner, with an eagle eye for character development, showing x telling, plot inconcistensies, dialogues, flow and so on.
I usually take 3 chapters of 10 pages each 2 weeks, but that's always negotiable.

Im looking for a critique partner with the same dedication as mine. We can always make a one chapter 'proof' critique to see if we match (Man, this fees like dating all over again).

Here's my query :

Jade should control her wind taming powers, but it’s often the other way around.

When she embarks on a mission to manage her abilities, she faces not only heavy physical and mental challenges, but also recurring nightmares in which she kills her father’s murderers. Even though he killed them all before dying, vengeance is constantly in Jade’s mind.
When the Shadow Man creates an army to annihilate humans who cannot master the elements, Jade will have to choose to join his war against the same kind that murdered her father, or fight him with powers that can destroy her on the process.

Thanks!

jzweig

Post by jzweig » October 25th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Hey all. Just got done with a wonderful critique partner. Just finished their revisions and looking to strike out again!

I'm draft 10 into the WIP and looking for someone who's thorough and I'll do the same. I'm strongest with characters and story pacing, grammar I do okay but looking for input on that and making sure some of my changes actually make sense. I'm into science fiction/fantasy of varying sub genres.

Let's exchange the first ten to see if we're a match :) Thanks All!

Query is posted below:

Out of the closed community of the Nine, the newest evolution of Man proceeds. But once Raiana Draco, one of their top students, discovered it’s plot to use students as a means to power a warring nations’ fleet and arsenal, she’s signed up to be made into a battery for that very thing. But thanks to the loving instructor she escaped into a fractured United States.

Hunted by the academy and its ally, The Coalition of United Territories, in a world nearly devoid of magic, she must survive a science driven society by soliciting her services to a military union who wages a secret war against them.
With war already in motion, she quickly gains her commander’s trust and is assigned to a special team to protect the countries last stockpile of vital resources.

But not all is what it seems.
Rai and her company must traverse the hostile territory as they are pushed to their limits by fatigue, persecution, and misled by a traitorous mind. But the wolf among their sheep discovers his union’s details about the stockade. An emergency wormhole device designed to retrieve other agents of war from alternate worlds. The C.U.T. need their homegrown batteries to make it work. And only her father has the answers for them to stop them.

The traitor leads to the companies escape and advance on their mission, but they must remain vigilant. They race against time and decaying moral unsure what awaits them at the end of their road: salvation or destruction.

THE END BEGINS is a Science Fiction story at 90,000 words. It is my first novel.
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - Mohammad Ali

http://storiesofsleeplessmind.blogspot.com/
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jzwegii