What works better for you: praise or critique?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Polenth

Re: What works better for you: praise or critique?

Post by Polenth » December 18th, 2009, 12:39 am

I like both. Criticism helps highlight weak spots, but it's important to know the strong parts as well.

A mix of praise/criticism also tells you if something is down to personal opinion. If one reader hates the part with the fish and another loves it, chances are it was reader preference and not because the fish was a problem.
Polenth
* Nothing * Blog * Twitter * Facebook *

Sara

Post by Sara » December 18th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Mainly crit but knowing what works is also immensely helpful.

charity_bradford

Post by charity_bradford » December 19th, 2009, 3:48 pm

A combination of both is best for me. I have some great friends who love my stuff but can also tell me what honestly does not work. The criticism focuses me and the praise gives me the hope to keep trying. Thanks to both I am hoping to start approaching some authors for referrals by March. That is my current goal.
If you are a mother and a writer you have to make the time to write. No one is going to give it to you.
http://charitywrites.blogspot.com/

Donna Hole

Post by Donna Hole » December 19th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Critique. Not that I don't enjoy praise, but many people will give a compliment just so they don't hurt your feelings. Critiques are more honest, and more helpful in the long run.

......dhole

Kaitlyne

Post by Kaitlyne » December 19th, 2009, 10:05 pm

I need both. I don't need a lot of praise, but particularly if you're going to be telling me fifty reasons why my book sucks, I'd like at least one, "But I really loved this line on page 49" to balance it out. Otherwise I feel like I haven't done anything right at all.

I do like having criticism, though, because it lets me see what needs to be improved. I've gotten some great feedback on my current story from people and it's helped a lot.

BransfordGroupie

Post by BransfordGroupie » December 20th, 2009, 1:35 am

For me it is both. I really, really, REALLY want praise, but I also know I NEED the crit too (so long as it is constructive, and thank goodness that has been the case for me at least 99% of the time). I really think the critique can be what tips scales.
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

jnduncan

Post by jnduncan » December 20th, 2009, 11:06 am

While praise is always nice, mostly for letting you know what people like the most, I like getting critique. Mainly this is because I want to continue to be a better writer. To do this, I need to see what isn't working. Praise doesn't do much to make me a better writer. I have enough confidence in my writing and like it enough to not require praise to stay motivated to write. At least I know I don't suck at it, so it's all good. Just tell me about what's weak so I can make it stronger the next time around.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » December 22nd, 2009, 10:39 pm

I know I just need a spoonful of sugar to help the icky, grape-flavored medicine go down. I'm fine with critique, but it's always nice when the person critiquing you is kind and loves you. It never hurts, either, if they tell you what you're doing right as well!

-Madeleine
"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." - John Milton

Blog: Worbird

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

jmcooper

Post by jmcooper » December 23rd, 2009, 7:25 am

Critique, absolutely. I don't believe praise. But scribble all over my paper with red pen and I will know that you read it, considered it, and made your best suggestions. Love it. Love that red pen.

Terry

Post by Terry » December 23rd, 2009, 1:38 pm

A combo, positive feedback and then some suggestions.

Generally, I'm grateful for suggestions, or if someone catches a real blunder, very grateful for that. But it's also important to be told what you're doing right, the stuff that people are enjoying.

When all is said and done, it's the praise that keeps me writing. If it were all criticism, I'd probably give it up as a lost cause.