How old are you?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Margo

Re: How old are you?

Post by Margo » June 14th, 2010, 4:54 pm

BlancheKing wrote:I don't know Margo... I'm suspicious of 40. The last lady I knew who turned 40 turned purple on her birthday and grew a tail and three extra ears (in pairs too...)

;)
I am SO sending my flying monkeys after you.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Suzie F.

Post by Suzie F. » June 17th, 2010, 9:36 am

44 and definitely not a geezer. A little advice: don't let anyone tell you that it's all down hill once you turn 40. My 40s have been the best years of my life. After the uncertainty of my 20s, raising babies w/ little time for myself in my 30s, my 40s have been wonderful! I've always loved children's lit and have been writing seriously for about 2 years now. And may I say, I love that we have a nice little place to get to know each other and to share our writing journey, whatever age we may be and wherever we come from. Thanks Nathan!

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2010, 11:40 am

Suzie F. wrote:My 40s have been the best years of my life.
That's a relief. I always said I was never going to freak out about hitting a certain age. 30 didn't do it to me, but the approach of 40 was making me pretty morose.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » June 17th, 2010, 11:55 am

Margo - as someone approaching mid-life, let me tell you, getting older is under-rated.

There is a definite trade-off. You lose alot of the phyical attributes of youth, but what you gain is - I believe - worth it, and ultimately more valuable.

Which is a very good thing. I know the young can get defensive about this - and I want to say right off the bat that the young have loads to offer, of course - passion, beauty, energy, freshness, idealism, talent, even innocence.

But isn't it a good thing that you gain more value as you age, not less?

You gain depth, perspective, wisdom. You come to fruition. You gain comfort with yourself. You become more powerful and established. You gain clarity. You reap seeds from all the work you had to do to get to this point in time.

You mature. (Well...not me. I haven't matured yet. But you do. You mature. :)

Age is a good thing. I highly recommend it as a goal for everyone.

Mira

Post by Mira » June 18th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Oh, I sort of got on a soapbox here. Sorry. I tend to do that with this topic. :p

Margo

Post by Margo » June 18th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Mira wrote:Oh, I sort of got on a soapbox here. Sorry. I tend to do that with this topic. :p
I don't think it sounded like you were on a soapbox. I appreciated the insight. I should have said so sooner. Been a little scattered the last few days.

Mira

Post by Mira » June 18th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Really? - I sort of thought I got abit preachy. Glad it didn't come off that way. :)

Happy upcoming birthday, by the way!

BlancheKing

Post by BlancheKing » June 19th, 2010, 3:41 am

Mira wrote:Margo - as someone approaching mid-life, let me tell you, getting older is under-rated.

There is a definite trade-off. You lose alot of the phyical attributes of youth, but what you gain is - I believe - worth it, and ultimately more valuable.

Which is a very good thing. I know the young can get defensive about this - and I want to say right off the bat that the young have loads to offer, of course - passion, beauty, energy, freshness, idealism, talent, even innocence.

But isn't it a good thing that you gain more value as you age, not less?

You gain depth, perspective, wisdom. You come to fruition. You gain comfort with yourself. You become more powerful and established. You gain clarity. You reap seeds from all the work you had to do to get to this point in time.

You mature. (Well...not me. I haven't matured yet. But you do. You mature. :)

Age is a good thing. I highly recommend it as a goal for everyone.
Age? A good thing? You mean you don't miss the sexiness of acne and the braces? *sigh* Don't they just remind you of a train ride to the Himalayans?
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 20th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Mira, if that was a soapbox, it was an awesome one. ;)

I still belong with the young group, and I never quite got what the fuss was about. I like putting years under my belt. I look forward to my birthday (6 days from now!) and the right to claim another year of life.

I think the only reason I'd lament a year gone by is if I had accomplished nothing in the past twelve months. But every time I look back, I feel like I've come a long way, and I think that until that feeling goes away, I won't mind aging.

So. All I need is to keep busy and do 'stuff' with my life. Recently, 'stuff' has involved every kind of writing-related activity I could get my hands on!
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Mira

Post by Mira » June 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm

Claudie - wow, thanks! :) and happy upcoming birthday! I have the same thing - if I feel like I've accomplished alot in the past year, I feel good about my birthday - or at least it doesn't bother me. :)

Blanche - Lol. Oh adolescence - you couldn't pay me to go through that again! I guess I'll be going through the reverse soon - I'm not looking forward to that part of aging, I can tell you!! :p

Sherrie H

Post by Sherrie H » June 22nd, 2010, 7:59 pm

Whoa ho ho! Now, this is something I feel like I know a bit about! I'm 54... Yes, I put it in print!

All of you have some wonderful points and colorful insight! Thanks for sharing all of it!

Often, I'll hear someone say... "Oh, what I wouldn't give to be 16!"
At that point, I want to yell to anyone within earshot... "Run! Run! And, don't look back!"

I wouldn't want to go back and re-learn my life lessons, all over, for anything! That is why I kept my ex-husband's name. Not because he was such a great person and I want people to remember that I was married to the jerk... but, because it was when I was 'who I am' that I found out 'who I am'... Does that make sense? I'm stronger, smarter, more wise (not the same as smart), funnier and I enjoy life more than I ever have. I finally believe in 'me'. And... I've finally stopped grabbing my sons( every time I see them...), by their shirts, getting really close, face-to-face, telling them "I'm so sorry... You'll spend the rest of your lives trying to get over me raising you!"

I finally... finally believe that I was/am a good mom! (I really like that about me!)

Thanks, for all of the sharing! I think I like this part of the blog, best! (so far...)

Heather B

Post by Heather B » June 22nd, 2010, 10:14 pm

Hey, I love being young. Absolutely love it. But the way I see it, all the things I do now I'll still be doing in 20, 30 years time. I'll still be able to shop (hopefully with more money), I'll still be able to learn and I'll still be able to go out with friends.

Sure I'll miss looking young but let's face it, when I'm 50 I don't really want to be picking up 20 year olds. :S That would be plain weird.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

BlancheKing

Post by BlancheKing » June 22nd, 2010, 11:03 pm

I agree with Heather... Hell, I'm 20 and I don't want to be picking up 20 year olds. An entire college campus, and the only decent guys I've met are a pre-med hermit (taken) and a guy who goes with class with a briefcase (doesn't stop walking long enough to chat). Meanwhile, a block down the street, there's a hospital full of doctors ages 25-50, several of which are single. Is it just me? Or are guys just more interesting once they get past the pot/drink/video games stage?

I'm curious. What age would u guys be if you got to choose?

I think I'd be 25. Might not be smarter, but at least my car insurance will cost less...
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » June 24th, 2010, 12:20 pm

If I could halt my physical aging process - I think I'd pick early to mid 30s. Still young, but settled. But I still want to get older emotionally - best of both worlds. :)

and goodness - I certainly hope folks enjoy being young!! It's fun! And since I believe in reincarnation, I plan to enjoy it again sometime. ;)

insomniacfoetus

Post by insomniacfoetus » June 26th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by insomniacfoetus on June 30th, 2010, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.