Your own website?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
lovelylj

Re: Your own website?

Post by lovelylj » December 13th, 2009, 11:17 am

The problem with web sites is not getting the hits but turning the hits into sales.
Lauren A. Johnson
http://www.laurenjohnson.me

Dakota388

Post by Dakota388 » December 13th, 2009, 1:05 pm

I started my own blog site basically to have an avenue to practice my writing and get critiques. Though I used my epertase name for it, the site is mostly whatever I choose to write about at any given time. I include a link with my email address on my queries just in case an agent wants to sample my writing. I believe it was an old post by Nathan that prompted me to do so. I doubt many agents are scrambling to see it, but it's there just in case.
"The Light of Epertase"-A fantasy novel coming August 1st from Rhemalda Publishing

Cate Hart

Post by Cate Hart » December 18th, 2009, 4:41 pm

I have my own website - or blog - at my domain name. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but just remember to keep it professional. I have read that many agents will Google you as they read your query. So if you are ranting about the submission process or pub industry in general, don't. And be sure anything you post is grammatically correct ( I was guilty of this). It's a good way to build a following. I participate in what is called Excerpt Monday every month. I share a snippet of something I'm writing for others to read, and I have been slowly building followers.

BlancheKing

Post by BlancheKing » December 18th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Any thoughts on using webs.com or places like that? Is it unprofessional to branch off an existing web domain for the time being?
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

shadow

Post by shadow » December 18th, 2009, 10:54 pm

I don't know I was thinking the same. What about wix.com? What do you guys think because the domain would be like wix.com/whatever/whatnot lol Any thoughts?
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » December 19th, 2009, 12:54 am

The concept of a website as a promotional platform for your writing is now a widely accepted idea. The trouble is making it look like a professional endeavor. I shrink at the thought of beginning my query process and having someone as net savvy as Nathan look for me only to find nothing. Just as frightening is the thought of having him perform a google search only to find a poorly presented, garish, or amateurish web site that represents me.

I've been toying with the idea of using Squarespace to build an initial website. It looks like a good way to establish a presence without spending a lot of money. I have several short stories that have been shortlisted competitively, but I just haven't been able to locate a home for them in any print medium. A couple of web e-zines have expressed interest, but being the old fart that I am I kind of have my heart set on something you can hold in your hands. If I had those stories up on a site, it could turn the tide in my favor when it comes to requesting a couple of chapters of the novel.

Has anyone used Squarespace?

greencastle

Post by greencastle » December 19th, 2009, 6:44 pm

If you're buying your own domain name,do try getting all the variations at the start - jones.net, jones.com, jones.org and whatever else is available on the menu.
In the future (when you are semi-famous) it could be awkward when people get decoyed by these other domain titles. You can link to Amazon from your site, or even do direct sales. (No, I don't know how it's done, but it is definitely a plus of having your own website.)

Cate Hart

Post by Cate Hart » December 21st, 2009, 7:13 pm

Someone asked about wix.com, or other such free sites. The advice I've read is avoid these sites because they have ads and it makes it look unprofessional. I suggest trying Wordpress first. It's a blog site that you can use for free. They off lots if nice looking templates, and you can even design your header pretty easily.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » December 22nd, 2009, 9:19 pm

Unfortunately, I can't take the time to read through all of your replies (let alone Nathan's blog post), so my opinion has probably been stated already.

And, of course, I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway.

I believe that creating a blog, at least (websites work too), is the way to go - whether you're published or simply hoping to be published. Readers, obviously, can be gathered, interest can be piqued, and you begin to steadily build a profile. When you publish, you switch things around a bit to accomodate your new "status." It's simple with a blog: You create a new page titled "books" or "writings", and there you go! People can click and your book will be staring them in the face.

Blogs are simple, and I've seen a few published authors revert to that form, as opposed to a website. They buy their own domain name, of course, to avoid the ".blogspot"/".wordpress", etc. I think "reserving" your domain name is a fabulous idea, and if you have blog (meaning you don't have to pay for a host), it's cheap. I pay about fifteen dollars a year, and, even as a kid, that works. All I have to do is trade my mom the target Christmas gift card for cash, and the next year is taken care of.

Website or blog, they both work. They can both spread the word. They can both be Googled. They can save readers from having to waste away in front of a computer screen in an attempt to track you down. I recommend either.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

-Madeleine
"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life." - John Milton

Blog: Worbird

The Lemonites Status:

1st Draft - Done
Out With Betas

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 24th, 2009, 2:36 am

I thought it would be cool to let you all know that my own website just went live!!!
I'm really excited about it.

http://www.charleevale.com

Anyway, for those of you who want to know the cost details, I own my own domain that costs between 5-10$ a month to host. (I use hostmonster.com, and they've been nothing but great so far)

As far as website design, I used a website called squarespace. (I think it was mentioned on this thread before?) They let you do pretty much whatever you want as far as style, and pretty much every element of your site is editable. Then they have a mapping program that allows you to hide the squarespace URL with your own domain. Pretty cool. Their basic package is $8 a month (Which is WAY worth it if you don't want to learn programming code) and they have better packages for more money. The one I will use is $14 a month and is plenty for what I need so far.

I did the graphics myself with photoshop, if you can do it it saves money on a graphic designer.

Let me know what you think of it! I just finished it literally 20 mins. ago, and I will continue updating it.

CV

shadow

Post by shadow » December 24th, 2009, 9:13 am

Very Nice Website Charlee! i like the layout.
~shadow~
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » December 24th, 2009, 9:19 am

Nice, Charlee.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 24th, 2009, 11:54 am

Thanks!

If anyone needs help with graphics, let me know!

CV