The Introduction Thread

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
rmorris

Re: The Introduction Thread

Post by rmorris » June 13th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Ryan and I live in Vancouver, Canada. Writing is a hobby of mine, but one I take very seriously. I self-published my first novel ("MOLT") last year, and am currently working on a second, non-related novel. Personally, I'm not a fan of all the series and trilogies that keep popping up; I think it's much more difficult to keep a story self-contained. But I suppose a trilogy is more marketable.
My background lies in the animation industry, and I've written a few screenplays (for both feature-length films and for 22-minute animated shows). Currently I am a re-born student with one year to go on a library technician degree.
Writing influences of mine include Chuck Palahniuk, Douglas Coupland, Ethan Hawke, Adam Davies and Charlie Kaufmann.
I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you.

larryj

Post by larryj » June 14th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Hello,

My name is Larry Johnson, I'm a science fiction and mystery author. I'm from Philadelphia, but recently I moved to Charleston, WV. I've always been interested in science fiction, from early on Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Stargate, Dune if it's scifi I've probably seen it or heard of it.

I've more recently written a detective novel called blackout, but it's set in present day. Whenever I tell people it's a detective novel they think Dick Tracy, maybe I should start saying crime novel.

Hopefully I'll learn from the information shared here and maybe I'll have my own to pass along.

ZWarr

Post by ZWarr » June 14th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Hello to all my fellow noobs and veterans of the board. I'm a writer--astonishing, I know--and happy to have gotten over my lurking habit to post in the forums. It was the contests that finally drew me out. Huzzah for contests!

I've lived all over the US and would like to extend that to the world. I keep two kids and lots of chickens and fowl, plus a husband, too. We've made a habit of trading houses, but our current home in NC is surrounded by gorgeous tall trees on a half dozen acres with a short walk to a pond so we may have to stay. I work as a freelancer and teach the occasional writing class, but hope to trade all that in and dedicate my time to fiction writing. I just love that story spark, don't you?

JABrown

Post by JABrown » June 16th, 2010, 5:51 am

Hello!

My name is Joel, I found this website a couple of days ago and read all of Nathan's (great) advice in his posts, then spent a little time looking through the forum. It looks like you have an awesome, incredibly motivating and friendly community so I thought I would join up and say hello.

I live in Lyons, France, though I was born in England. By day, I work as a trainer, but I had always loved writing. I have finished the first drafts of five manuscrupts, though only two of them are ones I have enough faith in to work on. My current WIP is a fantasy murder mystery thriller set on an alternate history Earth, following the adventures of a thieftaker cursed with the ability to steal souls.

Looking forward to sharing some tips, making some friends, and continuing on this journey to improve my writing and hopefully get published (one day).

Joel

Christina

Post by Christina » June 18th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Hey all!

I’m Christina. I’ve been enjoying reading the posts on this forum for a bit now and am trying to take my writing up a level, so I have decided to introduce myself. I’ve never tried to write on a forum before, but I’d like to learn and I look forward to getting to know you all.

I write YA and MG fantasy. I had my first trilogy written by the time I finished my BS in biology and am now working on my second trilogy. My first trilogy is too long, too complicated, and has too many characters for YA. So I’m trying to use what I have learned to write a second trilogy. I have one written and pretty well edited, though I’m not sure I’ll ever be completely satisfied, and I’m working on the first draft of the second book.

I take my writing seriously, despite being spelling challenged, and I want to learn all I can about writing, editing my work, and publishing. Hopefully I won’t get so engrossed in this forum that I use it as an excuse to stop trying to find agents to submit my book to or forget that I set a goal to finish my first draft of the next one before the end of the month. Humm, Maybe I should go work on that...

Robert Meacham

Post by Robert Meacham » June 18th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Hey all! Christina , I liked your intro so I went with it.

I am Robert Meacham and just joined this forum. I have been following NB blog for some time and I want to participate here. Time permitting, I will participate in queries and excerpts and like Nathan said, I will give much to be able to get everyone's valuable feedback.

I have written several genres and am currently writing a paranormal novel.

regards,
Robert Meacham

Christina wrote:Hey all!

I’m Christina. I’ve been enjoying reading the posts on this forum for a bit now and am trying to take my writing up a level, so I have decided to introduce myself. I’ve never tried to write on a forum before, but I’d like to learn and I look forward to getting to know you all.

I write YA and MG fantasy. I had my first trilogy written by the time I finished my BS in biology and am now working on my second trilogy. My first trilogy is too long, too complicated, and has too many characters for YA. So I’m trying to use what I have learned to write a second trilogy. I have one written and pretty well edited, though I’m not sure I’ll ever be completely satisfied, and I’m working on the first draft of the second book.

I take my writing seriously, despite being spelling challenged, and I want to learn all I can about writing, editing my work, and publishing. Hopefully I won’t get so engrossed in this forum that I use it as an excuse to stop trying to find agents to submit my book to or forget that I set a goal to finish my first draft of the next one before the end of the month. Humm, Maybe I should go work on that...

Sherrie H

Post by Sherrie H » June 22nd, 2010, 6:05 pm

I just spent the last ten minutes writing a really 'nifty' post... Apparently, my guardians are looking out for me because I tried to review it and it disappeared. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is!

I'm a writer at my keyboard, a realtor in real life, a mom, a friend, a neighbor and a rescuer of animals. I aspire to be the person my animals think I am. (That's really a hard job!)

Also, I have a complete novel, historical fiction, that I will be editing and tweaking until it gets bound and up on the shelves at B&N!

I wore the letters off the middle row of my last keyboard. I wish I would have kept it.

My goal is to write the perfect query and find an agent that will be Hickory Hill's champion.

I will do my best to participate in a helpful fashion.

I'm really looking forward to being part of this community!

mfreivald

Post by mfreivald » June 24th, 2010, 2:31 pm

Hello, I'm Mark.

I'm a former elementary school teacher, and I've spent ten years in computer networking.

I grew up in the plains, but I've resided in a few different places near the east coast for just over two years.

I play (clumsily) flamenco guitar and I like outdoor activities (camping, hiking, biking, etc.)

My keenest writing interests are fantasy, mystery, science fiction, and suspense, but I have mainstream and horror ideas, too.

I have my first novel (fantasy) under my belt, which means it's probably not as good as I think it is, but I'm working hard on the query and starting on the next one.

I look forward to learning from this forum.

Regards,
Mark

midenianscholar

Post by midenianscholar » June 25th, 2010, 10:54 am

I'm Alyssa, and I'm a college student in Georgia.

I am almost done with my final draft (for now, anyway) of The Fountain's Edge, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Hopefully I'll start querying soon...gulp. I also have a first draft of a YA novel called Webbed, and I'm trying to begin another novel, Popinjay.

I love Jane Austen. I'm a photographer and graphic designer at my school. And... I cried at Toy Story 3. Yep. That's about it.

steve

Post by steve » June 26th, 2010, 12:13 am

I'm Steve.

I read too much.

Thanks,
Steve
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

insomniacfoetus

Post by insomniacfoetus » June 26th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by insomniacfoetus on June 30th, 2010, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sara007

Post by Sara007 » June 27th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Hello Everyone!

I discovered this blog a few days ago and have been shamelessly lurking, soaking in Nathan's advice (I'm completely new to this industry and have a LOT to learn), which has been really informative and great...and THEN I discovered these fabulous forums! Bonus! I'm so impressed by the camaraderie, support, and insights that this community provides. In a world of snark, it's so awesome to find such positivity! So awesome, in fact, that I'm attempting to overcome my shy lurker tendencies and introduce myself.

Here's the skinny: I'm Sara--a yoga teacher from Philly. I currently live in Boston with my wonderful hubby and many plants, but have lived in both London and Brisbane as well. It's really fun to see what a diverse community this is with people weighing in from all over the world!

I worked in corporate communications, PR, and marketing for 10 years before gathering the courage to admit that I hated it. So now I teach yoga and try to write. "Try" being the operative word. Ha!

I'm really excited to have found this blog and community and look forward to being a part of it. Like Insomniacfoetus said above, it's a great feeling to meet others that speak the same (unique/bizarre/crazy) language!

Take care,
Sara

http://inadvertentyogini.blogspot.com

sbs_mjc1

Post by sbs_mjc1 » June 28th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Hi all!

We are longtime lurkers, S.B. and Michael. I (S.B., currently writing this post) am a graduate student at the University of Glasgow, where I am studying fisheries management. Besides writing, I like distance running, painting, Scottish fiddle music and cooking. Michael studies physics and likes video games, cooking, theater, military history and languages. Our current novel (fantasy/alternate history) is our first collaboration, although we've been friends for a long time.
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

insomniacfoetus

Post by insomniacfoetus » June 29th, 2010, 9:13 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by insomniacfoetus on June 30th, 2010, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Say hello - I don't bite as I don't have teeth yet.
Jessie Mac
http://www.jessiemac.com
http://www.facebook.com/jessiemacnovelist
@insomniacfoetus

Dana Rose Bailey

Post by Dana Rose Bailey » June 29th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Hey Y'all,
Another Virginia girl here. I've also been lurking a while. This is my first day in the forums.

I'm currently revising a YA novel; my first full length venture.

Good luck to everyone out there!