Is doubt part of the process?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Ermo

Is doubt part of the process?

Post by Ermo » December 18th, 2009, 10:35 am

I feel like every novel I write that I get to a point where I'm seriously doubting if the plot and sub-plots that I laid out ahead of time are really going to work. I do work through it but I wonder if that's my own stubborn dedication to a bad plot or if that is something every writer goes through with every book. And if it is, what are some ways that you deal with it and somehow verify, for lack of a better word, that your plot is worthwhile?

shadow

Re: Is doubt part of the process?

Post by shadow » December 18th, 2009, 11:25 am

yes doubt is going to show itself in all of us, but I have to say that you cannot doubt your plot! What I do is edit edit and edit like a crazy person through a few chapters then see, ok those chapters are solid and I feel confident about them. Then I go on. That way I am sortof dissolving the doubt step by step? You see? lol I don't know but overall just when you are sure of something the doubt will leave, and if its a great idea, do not I repeat do not doubt the plot, unless its problamatic of course. Happy Writing!
~shadow~
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Scott

Post by Scott » December 18th, 2009, 11:26 am

I think we all struggle with doubt, maybe to varying degrees. Hand-in-hand with the objectivity thread, as often as we get too close to see our weaknesses, we can also get too close to see our strengths. Sometimes you just have to have faith and keep moving. Nothing will be illuminated unless you see it through.

jrector

Post by jrector » December 18th, 2009, 3:04 pm

I never doubt a word of what I write. I sit down every single day and knock out somewhere around 2000 words, and I love every one of them. My plots always make sense, the characters sparkle to life, and the prose on the page mirrors exactly what I have in my head. The books just flow out of me one after the other, and rewriting is only a matter of going through to check for fat-fingered typing mistakes.

I'm either truly blessed, or I'm a big fucking liar.
Author of The Grove and The Cold Kiss

shadow

Post by shadow » December 18th, 2009, 4:02 pm

jrector wrote:I never doubt a word of what I write. I sit down every single day and knock out somewhere around 2000 words, and I love every one of them. My plots always make sense, the characters sparkle to life, and the prose on the page mirrors exactly what I have in my head. The books just flow out of me one after the other, and rewriting is only a matter of going through to check for fat-fingered typing mistakes.

I'm either truly blessed, or I'm a big fucking liar.
Maybe you are talented :) Though sometimes I think my writing is great until I beta. lol. Anyways I am still rewriting my first novel so I am not that experienced.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

c.ska

Post by c.ska » December 18th, 2009, 4:17 pm

Doubt, in my opinion, is a writer's friend...used constructively it'll help you grow : )

Stay creative! c.ska

Scott

Post by Scott » December 18th, 2009, 6:45 pm

c.ska wrote:Doubt, in my opinion, is a writer's friend...used constructively it'll help you grow : )

Stay creative! c.ska
Well said. For anyone trying to perfect something, they are constantly being self-critical. It's not an easy road, as many a quitter has discovered.

jrector

Post by jrector » December 18th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Maybe you are talented :)
Actually, I'm a liar.

Doubt and struggle are constant.
Author of The Grove and The Cold Kiss

jnduncan

Post by jnduncan » December 20th, 2009, 11:13 am

I think doubt is a definite part of the process. If you didn't doubt any of your writing, you'd likely never improve your craft. Doubt helps you keep striving to make things better. I always question what I'm writing. Is this element strong enough? Am I generating enough conflict? Am I developing the characters in the strongest manner possible? Always doubt. Always question. It's the fuel for better writing.

Kaitlyne

Post by Kaitlyne » December 20th, 2009, 6:49 pm

c.ska wrote:Doubt, in my opinion, is a writer's friend...used constructively it'll help you grow : )

Stay creative! c.ska
I thought this was a good one as well. I tend to doubt my stuff, but in an odd way. Sometimes I feel pretty confident about it, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it depends on the scene in question. I think I'm more likely to doubt my plot than I am to doubt the writing (usually) because I know plot is one of my weaknesses. But, like you said, I know that and have worked hard to try to improve that part of my writing. And at the very least I'm better now than I used to be. That's got to count for something.

Anyway, just a good answer and one that makes me feel a bit more comfortable with my occasional uncertainties. :)

Richard A Kray

Post by Richard A Kray » December 22nd, 2009, 4:38 am

Obviously, doubt happens to all of us.

As far as my critique/brainstorm partner and I go, we go between periods of thinking "everything I write is shit, how did I ever think I could call myself an author?" to periods of "I'm so excited, this stuff is great! I'm so glad I'm an author!"

For me, my real life effects my writing too. If I say, get in an argument with my wife, then my writing will suffer. If I've had an awesome day, then it will be better. Weird, huh?
- Richard A. Kray
http://braineatersanonymous.blogspot.com
(Go follow it. No, seriously, you won't be disappointed.)
(No... seriously.)