So...Star Wars or Star Trek?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
trini

Re: So...Star Wars or Star Trek?

Post by trini » December 16th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I loved Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back is still one of my all time top 5 movies. But Return of the Jedi killed it for me. Dead.

I grew up with Star Trek. I love it still.
"It was a dark and stormy nightmare..."

WIP: Graphic Novel...sex, death and rock and roll.

John Ross Harvey

Post by John Ross Harvey » December 16th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I can do Vulcan salute on both hands
I have been Darth Maul for Hallowe'en
I can recite nearly every line in Star Trek IV The Undiscovered Country
I happen to think R2D2 is cool
Christopher Plummer is an awesome Klingon and I have the dictionary/language guide
My wife loves Star Wars
Make It So
Whatever you say Kid

StarTrekWars
Author: Three Forces Of Evil - Comedy Shorts, Snowball's Chance In Hell, Acronymville - Your One Stop Destination In The World Of Acronyms, World Peace - A Novel, Harvey The Happy Helmet's Illustrated How To Drive Handbook - A Drive By Education

THB

Post by THB » December 16th, 2009, 8:41 pm

May the Force be with you, but Star Trek all the way--especially Next Generation.

TNG had great character development--especially Data and Worf. It succeeded in being hugely entertaining while exploring fascinating ideas like: What constitutes a person? What might the next step in the evolution of the human species look like? How can you hold on to your sanity when everyone around you is doing a pretty good job of convincing you that you are insane? And more. Sure, there were a few cases of seriously bad acting, but on the whole, this series in particular offered complex characters, fascinating ideas and intriguing episode plots contained within a larger, conscious story arc. I miss it!

Live long and prosper. (And no, I don't speak Klingon.)

TinaLynn

Post by TinaLynn » December 16th, 2009, 8:52 pm

*gasps* Star Trek!

*clenches fist* Don't make me destroy you!

Nick

Post by Nick » December 16th, 2009, 9:37 pm

tempore wrote:Star Trek does not have a whole line of Lego. Star Wars wins.
Pfft, pre-packaged fighters with appropriate parts and instruction manuals. I once spent a week and a half building a replica of the USS-Enterprise-D using only slate grey, black, red, and light grey bricks in the appropriate places. And then I went ahead and built a couple of shuttles, a Klingon Warbird, and a Romulan Bird-of-Prey. And that's not even counting the Lego versions of the appropriate bridges, engine rooms, etc. I built. In hindsight, it was kind of a stupid move. I spent the whole of about two months carefully constructing everything and then went ahead and destroyed most of it in three hours. Totally worth it though. Launching the Bird-of-Prey and Warbird off opposite ends of my old loft bed at the same point so they collided was one of the coolest things I've ever done with Legos (seriously, try it sometime. The ensuing explosion of brick is awesome).

If I still had my Legos I would totally still be doing stuff like that.

trini

Post by trini » December 16th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Nick wrote: Launching the Bird-of-Prey and Warbird off opposite ends of my old loft bed at the same point so they collided was one of the coolest things I've ever done with Legos (seriously, try it sometime. The ensuing explosion of brick is awesome).

If I still had my Legos I would totally still be doing stuff like that.
Rockin' :)

AllisonM

Post by AllisonM » December 17th, 2009, 3:14 am

I like Star Trek Next Generation and the new movie too. That's about it for Star Trek.

I remember my brother used to love the original Star Trek series (watched the reruns every day after school) and I HATED it. I thought it was boring and somehow depressing. I convinced myself I hated "sci-fi" or anything in space. So I DREADED being forced to watch Star Wars. Like, another boring space story. And then it started. And Holy. Crap.

I was blown away.

I love the overall story in Star Wars, the planets and worlds, the characters (Obi-Wan Kenobi=coolest character of all time), awesome weapons - a lightsaber...I mean come on!

Also, let us not forget theme music. The original Star Trek's theme music was a bore. TNG was a bit more rousing. But the Star Wars theme. Again...come on!!

Star Wars is in my heart. Star Trek, eh, it will do in a pinch.

NHWriter

Post by NHWriter » December 17th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Only one correct answer, there is.
That's right: Firefly.

trini

Post by trini » December 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm

NHWriter wrote:
Nathan Bransford wrote:Only one correct answer, there is.
That's right: Firefly.
That's for goram sure!!!

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 17th, 2009, 3:29 pm

tempore wrote:Star Trek does not have a whole line of Lego. Star Wars wins.
You just made my day. :)

CV

jrector

Post by jrector » December 17th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Definitely Star Trek.
Author of The Grove and The Cold Kiss

Ryan

Post by Ryan » December 18th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Never read a Star Trek book but I enjoy the movies. Being a 37 year old, Star Wars hit me right when I was seeking to understand a bigger picture so the original Trilogy and The Force is a little like Religion to me. I even started an essay on the subject. I always have dozens of essays "started." Even as I type this, I realize that I'm wearing an X-Wing T-Shirt. When I get my Query into shape and send it to Nathan, you can bet I'll play mind games. "You will like it..." "Yes, Ryan I like it..."

First couple paragraphs from my essay.

The Force By Ryan Chin

All of us men have a little Jabba in us. No, we wouldn’t keep a woman on a chain but at the same time, we understand why Jabba had Leia close by. I was only ten at the time, years away from my first pubic hair and yet: In between gulps of soda and slobbering mouthfuls of chocolate covered raisins, I knew Leia in a bronze bikini was something special. The scene was like coffee and beer—I’d grow into it.

To say the original Star Wars trilogy were just movies would be like saying Martin Luther King was just a man or calling Yosemite Valley a pile of rocks. If religion helps one to grow, gives one belief and strength, and aids a person’s understanding of the world then by all means Star Wars is religion.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Cate Hart

Post by Cate Hart » December 18th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Original Stars Wars!!!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » December 18th, 2009, 7:36 pm

Some Star Wars Trivia:

I read somewhere that Carrie Fisher was always tripping(like multiple tabs of acid) when she was shooting Star Wars.

A funny clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDEyLbU ... re=related
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Emily White

Post by Emily White » December 20th, 2009, 5:29 pm

At first, my reaction was: Star Wars! No question about it! But to be honest, where Star Wars clearly dominated with Episodes IV-VI, the latest movies just stunk. Star Trek, on the other hand, started out with a cheesy storyline and bad special effects, but their last few movies have been nothing but pure awesomeness.

Although I prefer the history and detail of Star Wars over Star Trek, if someone asked me if I'd rather watch Episode I or the newest Star Trek movie, I'd go with Star Trek without thinking twice.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page