What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
HillaryJ

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by HillaryJ » June 14th, 2010, 3:40 pm

EMBERS, by Laura Bickle. It's a really urban fantasy: set in contemporary Detroit and the city and economy play a huge part in it.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Down the well

Post by Down the well » June 14th, 2010, 8:34 pm

I finally fell for all the hype - bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Loved the prologue, but I'm having trouble getting into the main story. I'll hang in for a few more chapters, because it is well-written, but...I dunno.

Suzie F.

Post by Suzie F. » June 15th, 2010, 11:38 am

Harper Karcz wrote: And I'm listening to M.T. Anderson's FEED on audiobook.
I recently read FEED and loved it. I'm about to start Anderson's WHALES ON STILTS.
Last week I finished Mary Pearson's THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX and couldn't wait to pass it on to my daughter. Loved it!
Also on my nightstand is THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY by Trenton Lee Stuart (about halfway through) and IF I STAY by Gayle Forman.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » June 23rd, 2010, 12:21 am

Jessica Peter wrote:Currently reading My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent, the first in her series about a teenage bean sidhe (AKA banshee) - just blazing through it because it's a quick read with good tension. Boneshaker (steampunk with zombies) by Cherie Priest sits on my bedside table, and I just finished Storm Born by Richelle Mead, the first book in her lesser-known Dark Swan series that I actually think is one of her best - about a mercenary shaman gal.

Decided to cover all my bases, since it may be a while before I come to say this again!
I'm actually a couple of chapters into Storm Born but I'm not finding it as compelling as her Georgina series, but I'm giving it time.
And I have just started on My Soul to Save and bought the third one in the series. These had me a little worried because my current WIP is about a Banshee but thankfully they are nothing alike :D

I have also started Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon and just finished Love Bites by Claire Hooper, one of my favourite Australian comedians.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

otherside89girl

Post by otherside89girl » June 23rd, 2010, 12:51 am

I just started HOW TO SAY GOODBYE IN ROBOT, thanks to a couple people on these forums, and I just want to say... thank you!! I'm only three chapters in, but I already love it.

steve

Post by steve » June 26th, 2010, 12:22 am

"True Grit" by Charles Portis
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » June 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Nope. Couldn't do it. I Couldn't get through The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo so I moved on to Moby Dick!

I've never read it. I always thought it was a guy book and I wouldn't like it, but I guess there's a reason the classics are what they are. Now I find myself in love with a one hundred and sixty year old voice. And I do think it is all about voice with this one.

Marla Warren

Post by Marla Warren » June 30th, 2010, 10:18 pm

I'm rereading the Brother Cadfael mystery series by Ellis Peters. Currently I'm on #14 - The Hermit of Eyton Forest.
“Good writing should be smooth, clear and short, and the art of saying little in much must be avoided at all costs.”
--Benjamin Franklin

Marla Warren

Post by Marla Warren » June 30th, 2010, 10:21 pm

Holly wrote:ANGELA'S ASHES. I saw the movie years ago and loved it. The memoir is fabulous.

(Editing this to say it's a memoir, not a novel, which makes it all the more incredible.)
I think this book is even better in audio. Frank McCourt writes in a rambling, Irish storytelling style that seems strange on the page, but is totally natural when he reads his books for the audio editions. It's like Frank McCourt is sitting in the car with you, telling you stories while you drive.
“Good writing should be smooth, clear and short, and the art of saying little in much must be avoided at all costs.”
--Benjamin Franklin

steve

Post by steve » July 1st, 2010, 3:13 pm

"A Gesture Life" by Chang-Rae Lee

Marla Warren

Post by Marla Warren » July 8th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Marla Warren wrote:I'm rereading the Brother Cadfael mystery series by Ellis Peters. Currently I'm on #14 - The Hermit of Eyton Forest.
I just finished the 18th book The Summer of the Danes. It's my favorite of the Brother Cadfael novels--a truly wonderful book!
--Benjamin Franklin

steve

Post by steve » July 8th, 2010, 3:21 pm

"Inherent Vice" - Pynchon

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » July 10th, 2010, 6:51 am

Cider House Rules by John Irving

It was the only English book I could find on my resort's book swapping shelf but I'm loving it.

Nomad0404

Post by Nomad0404 » July 13th, 2010, 9:38 am

I've just bought Spells: A new kind of faerie tale by Aprilynne Pike.

Have started The Treasure of Khan by Clive Cussler and will finish that at some point as well.

Then I want to read the rest of the Temaraire books by Naomi Novak, I've only read the first one.

steve

Post by steve » July 16th, 2010, 10:47 pm

"Norwood" by Charles Portis