Long Abandoned Projects Suddenly Seem Interesting?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
BlancheKing

Long Abandoned Projects Suddenly Seem Interesting?

Post by BlancheKing » May 28th, 2010, 3:43 am

Anyone else experiencing this situation?

My computer charger picked today of all days to snap in two, so the partial I was suppose to send out today got delayed (as my own laptop can't turn on until my rush-delivery charger shows up tomorrow). Instead, I read through my old notebooks of past projects, and ended up picking up project from 3 years ago to work on later.

What's the oldest project you've decided to pick up again
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

izanobu

Re: Long Abandoned Projects Suddenly Seem Interesting?

Post by izanobu » May 28th, 2010, 8:58 am

I found a short story in a notebook from about ten years ago, tore the end off it and rewrote that part, then mailed it out. It sold to the second market I sent it to :)

That's why I keep everything, including notebooks full of scribbled down lines and ideas. You never know when you might find something that sparks off a really good or fun project :)

Quill

Post by Quill » May 28th, 2010, 10:29 am

BlancheKing wrote:What's the oldest project you've decided to pick up again
Nineteen years. I completed the first draft for my current WIP in '91 and started the second draft last fall. I did type the longhand first draft into the computer in '05.

It had been percolating in the back of my mind over all those years, until I gained the time and the writing chops to rework it.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » May 28th, 2010, 1:35 pm

I came up with the plot and characters for my current WIP over six years ago. Back then I wrote down the entire idea and even a few scenes, but something was a little off; I couldn't figure out what it was, but something wasn't quite right. I thought about it off and on for years, occasionally writing another random scene, but it still wasn't quite clicking. In January (this year) a totally random occurrence made everything fall into place. I started writing ("like a woman possessed", according to my best friend) and had most of the first draft done within four months. Well, technically six years and four months---LOL. Now I'm doing revisions and filling in little bits that are missing here or there. I always liked this story, it just took all that time for me to see it with enough clarity to really run with it.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

wildheart

Post by wildheart » May 30th, 2010, 1:45 am

I am now writing a WIP that I came up with in the 9th grade. That would be six years from the very first glimmer of an idea to actually beginning to write it. I don't know why, I just had this huge urge to write it so I fixed all the problems I saw with it and started writing. So far so good. There was also a novella/short novel I wrote when I was ten that I would like to rework at some point. That idea is ten years old. And by the time I actually get to it...well, who knows how old it will be.
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.