Lost - Possible Spoilers!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Mira

Re: Lost - Possible Spoilers!

Post by Mira » May 24th, 2010, 2:21 pm

So, did they pull it off???

I stopped watching in the middle of season two. I felt sure they were just making it up as they went along, and I figured they'd never make it work, not in a million, zillion, trillion years. Not unless someone woke up in a shower and it was a dream.

Did they? If they did, I'll go back and rent the rest of the seasons.....

SXBrase

Post by SXBrase » May 24th, 2010, 2:28 pm

the whispers reveal was by ghost-Michael, to Hurley.
HURLEY: You're stuck on the Island aren't you?
MICHAEL: [nodding] 'Cause of what I did.
HURLEY: And...there're others out here like you, aren't there? That's what the whispers are?
MICHAEL: Yeah. We're the ones who can't move on.
Now, I would argue that Michael probably is in the purgatory world--if Keamy's there, Michael's there--but much like Ana Lucia, he probably isn't ready or simply can't move on. Furthermore, Ben didn't move on either; probably due to Alex. Perhaps he will be a whisper too? Unlikely, but possible.

As for "blowing the plane," all Michael said was this:
MICHAEL: That doesn't matter right now. What matters is you going across that island to blow up that plane. People are gonna die. A lot of people, and it's gonna be your fault.
He was, ostensibly, correct. Hurley tried to stop them from going to the plane by detonating the Black Rock. He then screws up by leading them to Locke anyhow and people die. What can you do?

Josin

Post by Josin » May 24th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Mira wrote:So, did they pull it off???

I stopped watching in the middle of season two. I felt sure they were just making it up as they went along, and I figured they'd never make it work, not in a million, zillion, trillion years. Not unless someone woke up in a shower and it was a dream.

Aside from the "cast party" tacked on scene at the end, it was the best series finale I've ever seen.

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 24th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Mira wrote:So, did they pull it off???

They abandoned rationality and went with the spiritual answers. They copped out on answering any rational questions, and the devoted fans call you an idiot if you ask them because, hey, "Use your brain, they don't have to feed you everything."

The show was developed as a sci-fi experience the moment Dharma was put into place. Their purpose on the island was to study the unique properties of the "exotic particles" and how it could be applied in experiments. The concept of fate AND faith were introduced very early in, but all the intrigues set up (like the polar bear, smoke monster, the numbers, Walt's powers, the statue, the Egyptian glyphs in the hatch and on the stone cork, the special abilities) were indeed made up as they went... probably to keep the viewer saying "what the fuck?".

The finale didn't deliver on those loose ends at all. They used faith and spirituality to excuse that lack of insight on major intrigues that were built up on. This was proven by the special that followed AFTER the finale on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Some people asked what the polar bear was, no one could answer. Someone asked Locke what the smoke monster was exactly, he didn't know. "I thought it was the physical interpretation of his soul, but I'm not sure."

The writers never gave the cast answers, it's safe to assume they didn't know themselves. The Egyptian references could easily be a reference to "faith and the afterlife" since they believed a lot in that, but it doesn't explain who built the fucking statue. I think spiritual people found the ending touching and beautiful, and Mathew Fox on Jimmy Kimmel said "What's nice about the finale is that it leaves up a lot to interpretation, and depending of someone's faith, it could be seen or interpreted in any number of ways."

So, you were right: they made it up as they went, and found the best way they could to close the loop. Religion and spirituality is big in America (you often see ridiculous lines like "IN GOD WE TRUST" or "GOD BLESS AMERICA" on the walls of US court rooms... which is funny, because a lot of smart people figured out A LONG TIME AGO that separating religion from the state (and justice) was an absolute necessity) and it was expected such a finale would garner favorable reviews.

I think those who embrace spirituality AND rationality (like me) or just rationality was disappointed with that finale. It was a total cop out as far as intrigues and mysteries are concerned, and in my opinion, it was a lazy finale... it shows J.J Abrams left the active writing team early on.

That's why I'm annoyed by all folks calling people who also wanted rational answers "stupid"... makes me want to bash in their face. We shouldn't have to feel bad or stupid about expecting SOME rational answers out of a show who spent six years trying to rationalize what they were doing with half-baked science, time travel and paradoxes, then cop out on everything in the end and provide salvation in spirituality. It's cheap, it's even a bit insulting, and disappointing.

Josin

Post by Josin » May 24th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Keep in mind that the guy who set up the brilliance that was the first 2 years of Lost's mythology didn't write seasons 3-6. Had JJ Abrams written all 6 years, it would have been a different show all together (just look what he did with that short 2 1/2 hours worth of clean up).

The show was plotted for 4 seasons, it ran 6, which meant 2 seasons of padding. (That's how you get episodes like Jack in Thailand and the Nikki/Paolo debacle, though now Miles should be set for life with all those diamonds.)

The polar bear was to set up the Dharma Initiative, which was mostly a plot device to let the audience know something weird was going on with the island before they got there. They were trying to understand the light just like the Roman men MiB lived with, only they had better instruments. I kind of wish they'd used the actual truce document (from the season 5 box set) in the show, because it detailed rules the Others gave DI like not drilling past a certain depth, which they disregarded. The science experiments were showing how even with the higher understanding, they still didn't get what was going on there.

I would have loved an explanation of the statues/relics. There was the the Egyptian Tawaret and the Temple that on one face looked like a Mayan pyramid and on another looked like Angkor Wat. Just like it would have been nice to get a reason for there to be Egyptian hieroglyphs on the timer inside the hatch, but all of that went out the window when Abrams handed over the scriptwriting duties.

They said, many times, that the actors learned the secrets of their characters the day of shooting. Nestor Carbonell didn't know Richard was immortal and Terry O'Quinn didn't know that Locke was Smokey, so it's safe to assume they made those extra 2 seasons up as they went along.

And why didn't they bring back Mr. Eko? Not even once in sideways world or at the end. We got one reference to him with one of Hurley's invisible chess partners, but that's it.

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 24th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Rumors are that the guy cast as Eko was fired for whatever reason, and couldn't find it in them to bring him back on the show.

Aimée

Post by Aimée » May 24th, 2010, 3:56 pm

haha yeah I didn't realize his name was Christian Shepard either until Kate said it like that.
And by the way, I do not think they are all dead in the alternate universe. Just sayin'.

SXBrase

Post by SXBrase » May 24th, 2010, 3:57 pm

DarkUFO has it on good authority that the actor who played Eko turned down an appearance because they didn't offer him enough money. Obviously I don't know if this is true or not, but anyhow, there that is.

http://lostmediamentions.blogspot.com/2 ... -spot.html

Josin

Post by Josin » May 24th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Aimée wrote:haha yeah I didn't realize his name was Christian Shepard either until Kate said it like that.
And by the way, I do not think they are all dead in the alternate universe. Just sayin'.
It's not an alternate universe. They established that last night. It's an afterlife they all reached when they died in the real world.

Aimée

Post by Aimée » May 24th, 2010, 4:10 pm

It's not an alternate universe. They established that last night. It's an afterlife they all reached when they died in the real world.
Well they didn't necessarily establish it. They said it was left up to interpretation. I guess it's just the way most be interpreted it. Just not me.

Josin

Post by Josin » May 24th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Aimée wrote:
Well they didn't necessarily establish it. They said it was left up to interpretation. I guess it's just the way most be interpreted it. Just not me.
No. They established it. Christian told Jack that it was a place they had all created together while they were waiting to move on. It wasn't a physical place.

Rick Daley

Post by Rick Daley » May 24th, 2010, 4:31 pm

And why didn't they bring back Mr. Eko?
I read that it was a salary dispute, or some financial matter.

Robin

Post by Robin » May 24th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Josin wrote:
And why didn't they bring back Mr. Eko? Not even once in sideways world or at the end. We got one reference to him with one of Hurley's invisible chess partners, but that's it.
Eko wasn't a part of purgatory because he had his "Jesus Stick"
:)
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

pdr

Post by pdr » May 24th, 2010, 8:55 pm

FK7 wrote:The smoke man wasn't evil incarnate at all... that's the bullshit Jacob was spoonfed and then went on to feed to others, but he himself had no frickin' idea what was true or not.

Their mother murdered an innocent woman, then Jacob went on to kill his brother in cold blood. The MIB killed a murdered, that's not evil incarnate.
Evil: the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin; the wicked or immoral part of someone or something
Incarnate: Invested with bodily nature and form

Smoke Monster: evil
MiB/Locke, the human form of the smoke monster: evil incarnate, by definition.

[Source: dictionary.reference.com, because I'm a geek who cites his sources.]

Robin

Post by Robin » May 24th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I've found the best explanation for the series and finale. It is amazing!!

http://jezebel.com/5546559/lost-finale- ... ase-closed

Best explanation ever!!
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/