Till or 'til?

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Robin

Till or 'til?

Post by Robin » May 12th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I've seen this a few times reading and critiquing. Which one is supposed to be used when saying, "The game isn't 'til four" ??? Till or 'til? I'm leaning on 'til.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Em!

Re: Till or 'til?

Post by Em! » May 12th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Two usage notes from Dictionary.com:
Usage note
Till and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till. 'Til is usually considered a spelling error, though widely used in advertising: Open 'til ten.
Usage Note: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies. · Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning "up to." In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.
Sounds like if it comes down to it, "till" wins.

I still like "'til" better.
BookOrTreat: UNICEF fundraiser & online Halloween party for book lovers

Merit Badger: featuring merit badges for writers & readers

Robin

Post by Robin » May 12th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Em! wrote:Two usage notes from Dictionary.com:
Usage note
Till and until are both old in the language and are interchangeable as both prepositions and conjunctions: It rained till (or until) nearly midnight. The savannah remained brown and lifeless until (or till) the rains began. Till is not a shortened form of until and is not spelled 'till. 'Til is usually considered a spelling error, though widely used in advertising: Open 'til ten.
Usage Note: Till and until are generally interchangeable in both writing and speech, though as the first word in a sentence until is usually preferred: Until you get that paper written, don't even think about going to the movies. · Till is actually the older word, with until having been formed by the addition to it of the prefix un-, meaning "up to." In the 18th century the spelling 'till became fashionable, as if till were a shortened form of until. Although 'till is now nonstandard, 'til is sometimes used in this way and is considered acceptable, though it is etymologically incorrect.
Sounds like if it comes down to it, "till" wins.

I still like "'til" better.
Thanks a bunch! I like (or I guess I'm used to) 'til instead of till. Its probably due to my marketing/ pr background- makes sense ;)

Thanks again!!
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

polymath

Post by polymath » May 13th, 2010, 12:03 am

Until, till, til, 'til represents a register spectrum of formal to informal to dialect. Any one will do if consistently used, meaning a formal narrator might solely use until. A less formal narrator might use until, till, til, or 'til, depending on context. A casual narrator or viewpoint character in thought or dialogue might use until, till, til, or 'til, again, depending on context. The apostrophe could imply a dialect contraction of until.

Until Mabel milked the cows, the workday wasn't done.
Not till the day was done would she let her hair down.
With chores done and her hair down, she turned on the TV awhile, til it was time for bed.
"Din't knowed it for certain 'til now," she said to her old man, "farmer wife works as harder 'an a fishwife."
Spread the love of written word.

Pete

Post by Pete » May 13th, 2010, 11:17 am

"Till" is something you do to your garden or somewhere you put your petty cash.

" 'Til " is the contraction for "until".

I don't care what the dictionaries say. It makes me want to scream every time I see till used for until. Even the masters do it, though. C.S. Lewis's Till We Have Faces, for example.
"Three huzzahs for A.S. Peterson: The Fiddler’s Gun is an achievement.”—Jonathan Rogers, Author of The Wilderking Trilogy

“Peterson is a natural-born storyteller.” —Allan Heinberg, Executive Producer, Grey’s Anatomy

bcomet

Post by bcomet » May 13th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Well this one caught me using til.

I was much relieved by Polymath's reply.

I used it in dialogue.

sooper

Post by sooper » May 13th, 2010, 11:43 pm

Gotta agree with Pete.

Aimée

Post by Aimée » May 15th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I always use "until." I'm sure the others are correct as well, but sometimes it just sounds lazy to me. I don't know. It's just preference.