IBM nanotechnologists create smallest 3D map of Earth

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
marilyn peake

IBM nanotechnologists create smallest 3D map of Earth

Post by marilyn peake » April 26th, 2010, 8:27 pm

This is amazing! IBM nanotechnologists have created a 3D map of the world that's so tiny, approximately 1,000 of these maps can fit on a single grain of salt. Article and video at BoingBoing: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/26/ib ... um=twitter
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Nathan Bransford

Re: IBM nanotechnologists create smallest 3D map of Earth

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 26th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Wow! If I am ever shrunken to the size of a micron I'll know where I have to go to find my way home.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » April 27th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Nathan,

I hadn’t thought of it that way. LOL. The article also says, “...they also carved out a 25-nanometer tall model of the Matterhorn. A nanometer, of course, is one-billionth of a meter, so that's a 1:5 billion scale nano-mountain.” I think I could climb that Matterhorn!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 27th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Marilyn,

Careful... it's still got steep slopes.

:)
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » April 27th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Ink,

Hahaha! Hadn't thought of that. Well, I will put on my boots ... and squash those tiny slopes. :)
Marilyn Peake