*cough, cough* I need to brag on a friend.

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
charlotte49ers

*cough, cough* I need to brag on a friend.

Post by charlotte49ers » April 25th, 2010, 2:32 am

A guy we've known for eons got drafted in the fourth round today by the Colts. Yessir!

He had NO clue it was coming, either, which makes it awesome! The secretary was on the phone with him making small talk and he was so confused - they hadn't even acted interested before. A minute before the pick was announced, she switched him over to the GM.

He's an offensive lineman and will be protecting Peyton Manning next year. How cool is that? The president of the organization said in the NY Times that they see him competing for a starting position on the line!!

I know there are some sports buffs here, so I thought it would be appreciated. :-) His name is Jacques McClendon (Vols).

Lucky son of a gun.

gonzo2802

Re: *cough, cough* I need to brag on a friend.

Post by gonzo2802 » April 25th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Congrats to Jacques!

I'm from Baltimore, so it's kind of ingrained in my blood to hate the Colts now ... but how can you not be happy for someone who gets awesome news like being drafted into the NFL?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 26th, 2010, 5:43 pm

Wow, how awesome! As someone who has been waiting for the NBA to call my name in the draft for 11 years running now, I can definitely say I'm very jealous.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 26th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Nathan, how's your shooting stroke? Maybe Sacramento can take you as a nice complementary guard option to pair with Tyreke.

I still sometimes dream about how far I might have gone as a soccer player if I hadn't wrecked my ankle. I'm guessing it would be pretty nice to hear your name called, whether it's the MLS, NBA or NFL. Almost as nice as selling a book... :)
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 26th, 2010, 10:24 pm

Oh I know. My husband played college ball and overseas, but he said he would have given anything to be drafted. He did have a ten day workout with the Heat, but he was coming off an injury so he wasn't at top speed. I feel for him because I know he has a lot of what-ifs.

I guess he'll have to live vicariously through Jacques. :D

As for me? Unless there is a draft for the most unathletic human-being on the planet, I've never expected to hear my name!

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 26th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Ink wrote:Nathan, how's your shooting stroke? Maybe Sacramento can take you as a nice complementary guard option to pair with Tyreke.

I still sometimes dream about how far I might have gone as a soccer player if I hadn't wrecked my ankle. I'm guessing it would be pretty nice to hear your name called, whether it's the MLS, NBA or NFL. Almost as nice as selling a book... :)
I can hit a three consistently provided there is no pressure and no one is guarding me. I should fit in perfectly. I'm sure your soccer skills exceed my basketball skills by a longshot, even with a bum ankle.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 27th, 2010, 12:21 am

Charlotte, what's your husband's name? I might have seen him play. And I always wondered what it would feel like to be dunked on by Dwyane Wade. Oh, okay, I dreamed about dunking on him. But that would never happen. Probably not even on a nerf net. Maybe if someone distracted him. :)

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 27th, 2010, 12:27 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:
Ink wrote:Nathan, how's your shooting stroke? Maybe Sacramento can take you as a nice complementary guard option to pair with Tyreke.

I can hit a three consistently provided there is no pressure and no one is guarding me. I should fit in perfectly. I'm sure your soccer skills exceed my basketball skills by a longshot, even with a bum ankle.
I was actually pretty decent. Semi-pro wouldn't have been a problem. I think I could have made the MLS sort of level. I played against some guys who are in the league, like DeRosario (my job was usually to shut that kind of guy down). Of course, my dream was to play for Manchester United. Which wasn't going to happen. But it was a nice dream. All the fans at Old Trafford cheering... Ahhhh. AC Milan would have been a good fallback option. You know, if I had to. :)

Jaime

Post by Jaime » April 27th, 2010, 9:26 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:

Ha! Threes were my specialty . . . which may have had something to do with my size (coming from a long line of jockeys and race horse trainers, here). I learned to play from a point where I could SEE the ring, and not just the other players' armpits :)

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » April 27th, 2010, 10:43 am

charlotte49ers wrote:A guy we've known for eons got drafted in the fourth round today by the Colts. Yessir!

He had NO clue it was coming, either, which makes it awesome! The secretary was on the phone with him making small talk and he was so confused - they hadn't even acted interested before. A minute before the pick was announced, she switched him over to the GM.

He's an offensive lineman and will be protecting Peyton Manning next year. How cool is that? The president of the organization said in the NY Times that they see him competing for a starting position on the line!!

I know there are some sports buffs here, so I thought it would be appreciated. :-) His name is Jacques McClendon (Vols).

Lucky son of a gun.

That's awesome! I'm a Hoosier and the Colts are my team. Although, it would help it I watch football. Hmm...it would help it I liked football. LoL. Funny thing, the girl I used to babysit for when I was like 12 is now a Colts Cheerleader. I have pic, but I'll never learn how to get those bogger on here! ;-) Thanks for sharing the wonderful news!

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 27th, 2010, 11:25 am

Ink wrote:Charlotte, what's your husband's name? I might have seen him play. And I always wondered what it would feel like to be dunked on by Dwyane Wade. Oh, okay, I dreamed about dunking on him. But that would never happen. Probably not even on a nerf net. Maybe if someone distracted him. :)
His name is Brendan Plavich. He played for Vandy and UNC-Charlotte. :)

These are him (sorry for the crap quality, but there are all that are on youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jE6gmfeDW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFdvGOK_0I

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 27th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Ten threes against Syracuse? He could definitely shoot it. Remind me never to play HORSE with him. :)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 27th, 2010, 10:54 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:
Ink wrote:Charlotte, what's your husband's name? I might have seen him play. And I always wondered what it would feel like to be dunked on by Dwyane Wade. Oh, okay, I dreamed about dunking on him. But that would never happen. Probably not even on a nerf net. Maybe if someone distracted him. :)
His name is Brendan Plavich. He played for Vandy and UNC-Charlotte. :)

These are him (sorry for the crap quality, but there are all that are on youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jE6gmfeDW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFdvGOK_0I
Oh wow, I remember that shot against Indiana!

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 28th, 2010, 10:35 am

He lets me win when we play HORSE. He's a smart man. :D

And that's funny you remember that, Nathan! It was wild because there was this crazy blizzard, so we didn't get there until the last two minutes. My sister and I ran into the gym just in time to see him hit it. Then we got into an - It's good! It's no good! It's good! - argument with the Indiana fans. Good times! :)