Hand vs. Type

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
CharleeVale

Hand vs. Type

Post by CharleeVale » December 14th, 2009, 4:22 am

I'm a girl who 99% of the time has to hand write stuff. For some inexplicable reason either the creative flow does not come to me while I'm at the computer, or if it does I'm such a fast typist that I go off on rabbit trails that have no relevance and don't further the story. It's double the work having to transcribe everything into the computer, but in a way it also serves as a drafting process. My first round of edits are the ones made when the story enters the computer, so in the end its better material.

What do you all prefer? Hand writing or typing?

CV

poptart

Re: Hand vs. Type

Post by poptart » December 14th, 2009, 6:48 am

I type everything. I'd go crazy writing longhand, I'm constantly editing as I go along so I'd be crossing things out all over the place. The delete key is the greatest invention for writers since the printing press.
Annoying people since nineteen fifty-seven.

I blog here: http://flyingtart.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/sandr_patterson

dmarie84

Post by dmarie84 » December 14th, 2009, 1:36 pm

I type my actual draft but I do a lot of outlining/note-taking by hand. Ideas generally come to me when I'm not anywhere near a computer, so I have a a few little notebooks I carry around with me, plus a normal sized one that I have next to my bed for those ideas that come right as I'm trying to fall asleep.
The pleasantest of all diversions is to sit alone under the lamp, a book spread out before you, and to make friends with people of a distant past you have never known.--Yoshida Kenko, Essays in Idleness

My blog: Tales from the Writing Front

SmurfHead

Post by SmurfHead » December 14th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I'm a typist, all the way. I do some outlining by hand, but mostly I use Scrivener so most of my outlining is done on the computer. I'm not opposed to writing by hand, but I can never quite keep up with my brain. I type a whole lot faster, so those snatches of dialogue and action don't just disappear the way they do when I'm using a regular old pen and paper.

It's interesting to hear that people prefer to write by hand because it gives them time to think--that's exactly why I CAN'T write by hand! Too many thoughts trying to take over my slow, slow hand. I do think it would be cool to transcribe as part of the first-drafting process, though. I actually do something similar with my second draft. After I print it out, I do a paper edit, then re-type the entire thing. It's a funny coincidence that we both transcribe, but at different times.
"Mind-bottling, isn't it? ...You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?"

trini

Post by trini » December 14th, 2009, 1:58 pm

I type, for the same reasons as you Smurfhead. My hand can't keep up with my brain. I might take notes by hand...especially if I am out and away from my computer when inspiration strikes. Also the style of writing I developed was born on the computer so that's where I do my writing.
"It was a dark and stormy nightmare..."

WIP: Graphic Novel...sex, death and rock and roll.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 14th, 2009, 2:56 pm

SmurfHead wrote:I'm a typist, all the way. I do some outlining by hand, but mostly I use Scrivener so most of my outlining is done on the computer. I'm not opposed to writing by hand, but I can never quite keep up with my brain. I type a whole lot faster, so those snatches of dialogue and action don't just disappear the way they do when I'm using a regular old pen and paper.

It's interesting to hear that people prefer to write by hand because it gives them time to think--that's exactly why I CAN'T write by hand! Too many thoughts trying to take over my slow, slow hand. I do think it would be cool to transcribe as part of the first-drafting process, though. I actually do something similar with my second draft. After I print it out, I do a paper edit, then re-type the entire thing. It's a funny coincidence that we both transcribe, but at different times.
I use scrivener as well, it is my favorite writing program of all the one's I've tried! Though I haven't really gotten the hang of the outlining feature yet....hmmm. haha

CV

SmurfHead

Post by SmurfHead » December 14th, 2009, 2:59 pm

I know what you mean, trini. As a kid, I was always typing at school or at home. My penmanship is fine, but I really think I've been groomed to think at typing speed. But then again, my husband (who is my age) had the same experience and his typing speed is atrocious, so he's a hand-writer. I guess it depends.

I do keep a little notebook with me all the time, but I find myself getting frustrated and thinking, "Write faster!" :)

@ CharleeVale - Yay for Scrivener! I adore it. Took me a minute to get a hang of the outlining features, too. But oh... those notecards. Who could say no to them?
"Mind-bottling, isn't it? ...You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?"

Wryan

Post by Wryan » December 14th, 2009, 3:40 pm

I always walk by the fancy notebooks at the bookstore and think how nice it would be to whip one of those out and go, "Why yes, I wrote my third novel in this. Italian leather, you know." But every time I sit down and try to write by hand, I barely get anywhere. I start off writing exclusively by hand, but then I decide to transfer what I've finished over to the computer so I can have more than one copy of it when I'm done. And then, while I'm typing whatever I've written up, I start making edits. And by the time I'm done making edits, I've moved on to writing more to the story... on the computer.

I wish I didn't feel so tied to the computer. There are so many fun distractions to find on the Internet. But if I make a serious commitment and unplug the Internet, I can actually get work done. So I guess it's not all bad. I've written my first two books on the computer, and I doubt I'll move over to pen and paper for the third.

shadow

Post by shadow » December 14th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I type because hand writing takes double the time for me. Also I am very used to the computer and I can't imagine to be without it. Also word count is auto counted on the comp and spelling mistakes :) lol. But really I prefer type because it gets me to hammer out a good 5000 words a day that I then reread edit and continiue the next day.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Terry Towery

Post by Terry Towery » December 14th, 2009, 7:25 pm

I'm a typer only, although I have a tremendous respect for anyone who can write an entire novel longhand. I never could for one simple reason -- I can't read my own handwriting!

It would suck to come to a really important scene and find myself wondering what in the hell I was thinking at the time ... :)

Nick

Post by Nick » December 14th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Used to be I only wrote by hand and then transferred to the typewriter, then it became a blend of scribbling down the vast majority of things in a notebook and transferring them later, but if I was in my room or relatively near my room and an idea struck, so long as it was an idea for a segment of prose -- just crude outlines of segments, character names, etc. would be scribbled by hand. I have, as of late, been writing solely by computer, since May or so if memory serves. I might go back to typing things up on the typewriter, though. Little stories I don't intend to go anywhere with, or the short stories I intend to submit to magazine (hey, they require me to send it through the mail anyway, may as well use the typing mechanism I prefer). And of course there is that old first novel I wrote. Certainly don't intend for it to go anywhere, but it might be fun to dust it off and go back to doing re-write after re-write between typewriter and notebook.

So, short form void of my sporadic thoughts of rambledom:

Type only, at the moment, but intend to go back to the old hand first/type later at some point, if only for "pet projects", as it were.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 14th, 2009, 11:45 pm

Terry Towery wrote:I'm a typer only, although I have a tremendous respect for anyone who can write an entire novel longhand. I never could for one simple reason -- I can't read my own handwriting!

It would suck to come to a really important scene and find myself wondering what in the hell I was thinking at the time ... :)
Haha. I do have those moments sometimes!

@Wryan - It is fun to do that, although I've used the fancy ones and the classic composition book, and those usually win out simply because the have more space than the fancy ones! Less flowers and loops taking up space on the page, although I do indulge myself and write in something pretty sometimes. :)

ladymarella

Post by ladymarella » December 14th, 2009, 11:54 pm

I am a hand writer. It actually means I get more done as i don't have to be at the computer, which I can't always get to and has distractions such as the internet. i write on loose leaf lined paper, numbering the pages for each scene, as I don't actually write in order. I find the ideas flow better, and then typing it into the computer is my first edit, although until I've typed up the whole, thing, which I'm doing as I go, i wouldn't say I've finished the first draft.
Currently composing a sprawling family saga set in 19th century England
The world may be divided into people that read, people that write, people that think, and fox-hunters.'- William Shenstone,

Whirlochre

Post by Whirlochre » December 15th, 2009, 1:53 am

The computer is great for finished edits, but not so good for first drafts. I hear what people are saying about the usefulness of DELETE or CUT n PASTE — but simple scribbling out is a Godsend, as is an ability to insert notes anywhere on a page. I wouldn't be without either when the first ideas are committed to paper.
Writer of the Broken Vacuum Cleaner & MacKillop series.
http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Whitmore/e/B0082TENDG
Every doomed cosmos needs cleaning appliance eureka.

a_r_williams

Post by a_r_williams » December 15th, 2009, 2:25 am

I use both. It just depends on if I'm writing fast or super slow.

The computer cursor can be intimidating when you're looking at a blank screen with no idea what you want to write. :blink: :blink: "Write something" :blink: :blink: "Hurry up!" :blink: :blink:

Paper on the other hand has a much more patient attitude. It just looks at you and says - "Whenever, you're ready, I'm here for you. :yawn: I think I'll take a little nap."

:p

So when I have a relative idea of what I want to write the computer can't be beat. When I want to feel my way through the story, take my time, compose a few notes--I like paper.