Starting to Query

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
kenpochick

Starting to Query

Post by kenpochick » April 21st, 2010, 2:27 pm

Ok, so I'm just starting to query agents and now I'm avoiding my email like the plague. LOL! I would almost rather get no response than a "no" response, know what I mean?

Anyone stressing out with me?

shadow

Re: Starting to Query

Post by shadow » April 21st, 2010, 4:09 pm

I am very much stressting with you Kenpo. In fact I am freakedly stressing if that's a word lol. I sent out 5 queries for my YA Fantasy - OVercats shadows and got 4 rejections. WAAAAAHHH!!! LOL. It really sucked. I know they say that I should send ten before going back to the drawing board but I don't want to lose it with too many agents. So what are your stats? We can cheer each other on! I am bout to send like 10 more this week. Have you queried Nathan? He replies REAL quick.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

A.M.Kuska

Post by A.M.Kuska » April 21st, 2010, 5:37 pm

Life of a Suburban Unicorn is my first novel, but with short stories I always had two stories in the works at the same time. That way if the first one was getting rejected, I still had that second one ready to go. Spreading the rejections around a little helped some.

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » April 21st, 2010, 6:32 pm

I know what you mean. Depending on my mood, when I got to my email box for some reason there are times when I'm like "Please don't let there be a rejection waiting for me when I get there."

I think it's pretty much par for the course at this stage.

Then when we get to the point of having agents it will be "please don't let me get a note that the publisher passed on the manuscript".

I'm guessing we've reached a point where our email inboxes will never again be the way they were.

kenpochick

Post by kenpochick » April 22nd, 2010, 9:16 am

Very true.

You know, I was thinking about it the other day. It's like applying for new jobs and you send out your resume and hope to god they call you for an interview. Then you hope you do ok on the interview. Then if miracles of miracles happen and you get the job, you worry about getting through probation. I've been in the same job for 8 years, it's been a while since I've had to feel like this. :-)

One thing I'm trying to keep in mind is if I follow the job search analogy is that when I'm looking for a new job I never worry that I'm never going to get a job. I know that something will fit. I'm trying to keep that same mindframe now.

I sent out 20 over the last two days and got 2 quick "no's". It was a bummer seeing that but when I think about it, I wasn't sure about those agents anyways whether they really fit with the genre so until further rejection, I'm going to assume it was a genre issue. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, dammit!

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » April 23rd, 2010, 2:21 pm

I know what you mean about it being like job interviews. Great analogy.

The rejection letters sting (I've had 5) , but I just got my first request for a partial ... and that is a giddy feeling for sure!

We're on the rollercoaster now, my friend. Just got to make sure we stay strapped in!

FK7

Post by FK7 » April 23rd, 2010, 4:40 pm

Good luck guys! I'll start querying in a month or so, I'm about to go hand the third draft to my 2nd beta reader after the first one handed it back to me two weeks ago... then it'll be one last round of revisions and off to query I go.

Have you considered opium?

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » April 25th, 2010, 12:51 pm

FK7 wrote: Have you considered opium?
I can't afford to develop an opiate addiction, until I become a massive bestseller of King-ian proportions.

kenpochick

Post by kenpochick » April 27th, 2010, 5:01 pm

I got my first request for a full!! EEeekk!!!!!!

FK7

Post by FK7 » April 27th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Congrats :D

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 28th, 2010, 7:23 am

Congrats!
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Jaime

Post by Jaime » April 28th, 2010, 9:01 am

Congratulations, kenpochick! What an amazing achievement!

And Gonzo, you know I'm your biggest fan! ;)

kenpochick

Post by kenpochick » April 29th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I'm going to lose all dignity for a moment:

I am FREAKING OUT! The agent confirmed receipt on the full and I'm going to have a freaking nervous breakdown while she reads it. Please say yes, please please please....

Ok, dignity is restored. I can be a grown up again. :-)

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » April 29th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Way to go, Ken! I'm officially excited for you ... a full? It's totally acceptable to flip out for a while. I got a request for a partial last week and I did the same dang thing. We get so many disappointing moments in this lifestyle, why not enjoy the high moments while they last. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Jaime, and that is why you are my favorite Aussie ever! And I've met some darn cute males from Australia in my day, for you to rank above them is really saying something ;o)

wilderness

Post by wilderness » April 30th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Kenpochik - Congrats on the full request! That was fast!

As for dreading rejections: I read an interview with Meg Cabot where she said she had saved a suitcase full of rejection letters. So I figure I can keep all my rejections and it will only make success sweeter when it comes :)