Best TV show of all time?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Mira

Re: Best TV show of all time?

Post by Mira » March 25th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Oh, I forgot one - Joan of Arcadia. That was wonderful.

JaEvans

Post by JaEvans » March 27th, 2010, 6:17 pm

OK so here it goes.

Battle Star Galactica - the newer one. Was fantastic.
I use to roll over laughing with Seinfeld
Liked NYPD Blues in its time.
How about The Outer Limits? Some cool stuff there.
There was also CSI, (got boring after second season, Law and Order (same with this one), Due South (gotta love the Canadian Mountie), and House.

For sports I love good ole Hockey and the UFC.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think" Horace Walpole

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » March 28th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Friday Night Lights, all the way. Especially season four, where it turned into The Wire: West Texas. ;-) I love Vince as a new character and I can't wait to see what happens in season five.

I have a couple of friends who are extras on the show, so I might get a sneak peek at what is coming up. Not that I can divulge. :-) They were at the last football game in season four, and I had to make my friend swear not to tell me the outcome, no matter how much I begged. She didn't,so I was unspoiled. On more thing, she was in the final shot of the season. How cool is that?

Colonel Travis

Post by Colonel Travis » March 28th, 2010, 5:54 pm

mmcdonald64 wrote:Friday Night Lights, all the way. Especially season four, where it turned into The Wire: West Texas. ;-) I love Vince as a new character and I can't wait to see what happens in season five.

I have a couple of friends who are extras on the show, so I might get a sneak peek at what is coming up. Not that I can divulge. :-) They were at the last football game in season four, and I had to make my friend swear not to tell me the outcome, no matter how much I begged. She didn't,so I was unspoiled. On more thing, she was in the final shot of the season. How cool is that?
Do they still film it in Austin?

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » March 28th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Colonel Travis wrote:
mmcdonald64 wrote:Friday Night Lights, all the way. Especially season four, where it turned into The Wire: West Texas. ;-) I love Vince as a new character and I can't wait to see what happens in season five.

Do they still film it in Austin?
Yep. And one of the friends lives in San Antonio, so she drives up five or six times a season to do extra work. The other friend is from Lubbock, and has been a few times, and is planning on going again for the final season. They say everyone in the cast is just as nice as they seem on the show. No big egos on that set. In the last filming, they were sitting in the bleachers just in front of Connie Britton, Aimee Teegarden and Grandma Saracen (sorry, can't recall the actress' name. She'll always be Grandma Saracen to me.)

Seamus

Post by Seamus » March 28th, 2010, 8:37 pm

I have to support the M*A*S*H* nomination. It was really a groundbreaking merger of comedy and drama. Coming from the "I Love Lucy" generation (also pretty cool), I found that most TV comedy was pretty shallow and inane. M*A*S*H* had soul wrenching substance and some very complex character development wrapped up in some pretty funny stuff. I can't think of anything else in its class.
J. Seamus Welsh
welsh.john.seamus@gmail.com
Blog (a playful place to experiment with character voices): http://oh-thereyouare.blogspot.com/
Website (shameless self-promotion): http://www.inwrittenform.com

Nick

Post by Nick » March 28th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Don't know that I could pick one show. For example, so far as I'm concerned, The Sweeney is easily the greatest cop show and could consider it level with great shows of other genres. And while I can think of other shows for other things, I'll hold off on all the others for now and come back with a list when I feel I have a sufficient one. However, The Sweeney is staying on the board. Check it out if you haven't.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » March 29th, 2010, 2:32 am

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'm sure my husband is waiting for me to turn my back so that he can take my collection and burn it.

Petronella

Post by Petronella » March 30th, 2010, 9:21 pm

For me the choices for best shows ever are: Babylon Five. followed closely by The X-Files.

Am into watching old and new Law and Order shows - never watched them before and quite enjoy them.

kristi

Post by kristi » March 30th, 2010, 10:48 pm

I don't watch much TV but am a total BSG nerd. Despite my issue with the last episode, it's still my favorite show of all time. My hubby and I used to forgo sleep just to squeeze one more episode in before bedtime, and for me to forgo sleep means it has to be AMAZING! Someone else just told me I'd like The Wire, so maybe I'll have to Netflix it. :)

dahosek

Post by dahosek » March 31st, 2010, 3:11 am

Fans of The WIre who've not seen it should definitely check out Homicide, the first show by the production team who did The Wire. I'm not sure that I'd bother with any stories after Pemberton's stroke though.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer really set the bar for the current generation of fantasy/sci-fi shows. No discussion of the best shows is complete without it.

For comedy, there is nothing to surpass Fawlty Towers.

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » April 21st, 2010, 1:17 am

I LOVED M*A*S*H and Cheers.

Yes, I'm also a Little House fan. :D

And I always feel the need to mention My So Called Life, purely because it was canceled too soon. ;)

Does Fraggle Rock count? Just sayin'.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » April 21st, 2010, 1:35 am

T.V. shows I cannot live without:

House
Medium
The Offic
Heros
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.

Emily White

Post by Emily White » April 22nd, 2010, 9:40 am

Stargate SG-1, followed closely by Stargate Atlantis.

For comedy: America's Next Top Model. I just love watching a bunch of petty girls fighting with each other all the time.
Last edited by Emily White on April 22nd, 2010, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

FK7

Post by FK7 » April 22nd, 2010, 6:43 pm

Battlestar Galactica kept me captivated for its entire run... obsessed too.

It has to win as best show of all time.

I admit that I'm a sucker for House.