What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
david 222

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by david 222 » April 3rd, 2010, 9:33 pm

The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg the third in his family trilogy. I thought all were good but his first was great. Family Bible by Melissa Delbridge good good good my copy was an advanced I hope it makes it.
Why I Lie by Michael Giles, also very good.
This weeks selections are;
Ice at the Bottom of the World/ Mark Richard,
Living a Life that Matters/ Harold Kushner,
The Tartar Steppe/ Dino Buzzati,
and The Nick Adams Stories / Hemingway.

BransfordGroupie

Post by BransfordGroupie » April 7th, 2010, 1:37 am

I'm trying to catch up on my reading (or should I say listening). I have a long long list of books I need, and want to read. Since I don't have a lot of time to sit down, and get totally sucked into a book (as is usually the case with me), I download and listen to books on my Ipod while I am working around the house.

I have read, and really enjoyed The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (think Bella meets Jacob, instead of Edward).

But the book that has me totally captivated, and spellbound right now is ANOTHER FAUST by Daniel & Dina Nayeri (http://tinyurl.com/y8vze9l). What can I say, but WOW!!!! This is one fabulous story, and the narrator is out of this world with all her accents to compliment the story (American, Glasgow, Deep South, Italian, English, and French just to name a few). You can listen to a snippet here: http://tinyurl.com/y4b48le, and watch the book trailer here: http://tinyurl.com/y68npbl.

This (even though I haven't finished the book) would have to be one of my personal favourites. I am giving this one a tentative 5 star rating.
Last edited by BransfordGroupie on April 17th, 2010, 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » April 7th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Finished reading the incredibly well-written NEVER LET ME GO by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I'm now reading the TWILIGHT series by Stephenie Meyer. Figured I should read the TWILIGHT novels, since they're talked about all over the Internet. Made it through TWILIGHT and NEW MOON, and am now reading ECLIPSE. These books are not my cup of tea. Can't wait till I finish them and can read something else. :)
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Mira

Post by Mira » April 8th, 2010, 10:46 am

A friend gave me a bunch of old Heinlein's. They are so much fun! He's quick, snappy, smart, witty. I'll have to be careful not to copy his style. Some of his lines are so sharp, I definitely wish I'd written them.

I'm also enjoying the quick snapshot of the culture when he wrote them. The books are very sexist, but you can see him actively struggling with this in every book (of the ones I've read so far anyway). He's bound by his time, but trying to break out of it. He wrote these just on the cusp of the Civil Rights and Women's movement and it's so interesting to see him grapple with it. And kudos to him for it - that's sci fi at it's best.

So, I'm having fun. :)

mojo25

Post by mojo25 » April 8th, 2010, 11:23 am

I'm reading THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS by Rebecca Skloot (nonfiction). So far it's fascinating.

here's what Amazon says about it

From a single, abbreviated life grew a seemingly immortal line of cells that made some of the most crucial innovations in modern science possible. And from that same life, and those cells, Rebecca Skloot has fashioned in The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks a fascinating and moving story of medicine and family, of how life is sustained in laboratories and in memory.

I also picked up a copy of ANNE OF GREEN GABLES at a used bookstore (maybe inspired by all these posts about favorite books, re-reading etc.) I loved it as a kid and it held up pretty well so I'm going to buy a used boxed of the whole series.

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » April 8th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Finished John Irving's Last Night in Twisted River and Toni Morrison's Sula and just started Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin. Still a few hours to go in the audiobook of Roberto Bolano's 2666, and then I think I'll get his Savage Detectives.

BransfordGroupie

Post by BransfordGroupie » April 17th, 2010, 7:34 am

Currently listening to Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (http://tinyurl.com/y5enyor). Half way through, and enjoying so far.

Finished Another Faust. My verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » April 17th, 2010, 8:05 am

Re-reading R Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

Ishta

Post by Ishta » April 18th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Finished ARTEMIS FOWL and MILLICENT MIN, GIRL GENIUS; am beginning THE HUNGER GAMES. And lots and lots of picture books, as well as Judy Moody and Clementine and re-reading Encyclopedia Brown and dipping into a few early chapter books of the 7,000-word-variety to refresh my sense of structure and pacing in this format.

Not much writing going on; I've had family over, and reading is less anti-social than writing since I can read in a room with conversation and music, and for writing I need silence.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 19th, 2010, 12:19 am

I have a couple going at the moment. I read something different at home and at work.

At work I'm reading:
Jim Butcher's sixth The Dresden Files book Blood Rites

At home I'm reading:
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
and
I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells (which I picked up at Borders this weekend and started to read as soon as I got home because I was so excited by the premise.)
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

FK7

Post by FK7 » April 19th, 2010, 10:26 pm

I just re-finished GUNS, GERMS & STEEL by Jared Diamond (non fiction). Fascinating.

The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan is what I am currently reading (again, non fiction).
Also Stein on Writing, but it is... dense.

bronwyn1

Post by bronwyn1 » April 19th, 2010, 10:42 pm

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Marla Warren

Post by Marla Warren » April 20th, 2010, 12:00 am

Miss Julia Renews Her Vows by Ann B. Ross--very enjoyable!
“Good writing should be smooth, clear and short, and the art of saying little in much must be avoided at all costs.”
--Benjamin Franklin

Rik

Post by Rik » April 24th, 2010, 8:34 am

FK7 wrote:I just re-finished GUNS, GERMS & STEEL by Jared Diamond (non fiction). Fascinating.
I remember having serious arguments with that book when I read it. The science doesn't stack up.

Anyways, at the moment I'm ploughing my way through Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' - a story I've been meaning to read for over 30 years. I have to say I'm not enjoying the multipage paragraphs, but I'm over 3/4 done now so I refuse to stop reading it!
To Posterity - the latest chapbook of poems from Rik Roots ($free)

Quill

Post by Quill » April 24th, 2010, 10:53 am

Reading: Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison by Lois Lenski. Written in the '40s, reading it as research for my WIP. Very well written, and I can't believe Lenski wrote some 90 books. Many filled, like this one, filled with her own illustrations.

Audio Book: Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. What a hoot. Or maybe it's the droll treatment by the reader. Very good. Zowie, the guy could write.