The Time Traveler's Wife was painful to read

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Robin

The Time Traveler's Wife was painful to read

Post by Robin » April 10th, 2010, 9:06 pm

I just don't understand why or how this book was so widely praised. I absolutely HATED this read. It was a daunting task to finish this novel.
Have you read it? What did you think?
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Holly

Re: The Time Traveler's Wife was painful to read

Post by Holly » April 10th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Robin wrote:I just don't understand why or how this book was so widely praised. I absolutely HATED this read. It was a daunting task to finish this novel.
Have you read it? What did you think?
I'm always happy to see another Time-Traveler's-Wife-hater. The title snagged me. The book itself was something else, but she did sell two and a half million copies and got a movie, so she did something right.

The double narrative was hard to follow. It was so hard that I didn't bother and chucked the book. The prose read like internet postings about hair and clothes and name brands and food. I kept asking myself, where's the story?

Robin

Post by Robin » April 10th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Thanks Holly! I am so glad I am not alone. So, should I add that I am a PR genius with proven experience on my query letter no matter how terrible my book is? (not that MY wip is terrible)
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Lorelei Armstrong

Post by Lorelei Armstrong » April 11th, 2010, 1:49 am

Didn't do anything for me because everybody was forced by circumstance to be passive. She was on the proverbial widow's walk staring out to sea waiting for him to reappear. It wasn't far into the read that I wanted to shout "I get it, I get it already! Make something happen!" Ugh.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » April 11th, 2010, 6:29 am

I picked it up hoping for a romantic story, and put it down about 30 pages in. It did absolutely nothing for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, though, so now I'm wondering - was the movie better than the book?

taylormillgirl

Post by taylormillgirl » April 11th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Wow, I loved it!

The only thing that made me wrinkle my nose was teen-aged Claire always trying to seduce middle-aged Henry. Other than that, I was hooked. Even cried at the end...not something that happens often when I read.
Author of hot & humorous romances, debut novel coming in 2012 from Sourcebooks!
http://macybeckett.com/

mojo25

Post by mojo25 » April 12th, 2010, 10:11 pm

I put this book down after reading about 2 chapters and never picked it up again.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » April 13th, 2010, 1:16 am

I haven't read the book...but I watched the movie. So I know I will NEVER read the book. Too depressing. And I can't stand passive characters that don't do anything!
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.