So do you have any foes on this site?

New member introductions, suggestions for the Forums, questions about posting, and important announcements.
r louis scott

So do you have any foes on this site?

Post by r louis scott » April 4th, 2010, 9:28 pm

I was checking to see if I had any messages, because, you know, if Nathan sends me a note saying "Yo dude, when are you sending me your manuscript?" I want to reply promptly. While I was there I kind of noticed for the first time that you can mark messages as being from a friend or foe, which got me to wondering if people actually had any friends or foes here. Since I personally don't have that much of an investment here I was just wondering if anyone else did.

Oh, and since you have the time to check out the procrastination thread, you have the time to come clean...

JustineDell

Re: So do you have any foes on this site?

Post by JustineDell » April 5th, 2010, 8:31 am

r louis scott wrote:I was checking to see if I had any messages, because, you know, if Nathan sends me a note saying "Yo dude, when are you sending me your manuscript?" I want to reply promptly. While I was there I kind of noticed for the first time that you can mark messages as being from a friend or foe, which got me to wondering if people actually had any friends or foes here. Since I personally don't have that much of an investment here I was just wondering if anyone else did.

Oh, and since you have the time to check out the procrastination thread, you have the time to come clean...
LOL...I thought that was funny too. I've got plenty of people listed under friends, but no one under foes. I mean, really - what good would that do? I don't quite understand the foe thing. If they are a foe, I pretty much know them by username, I don't think I need to have them on a list. I'm curious why Nathan would put that on there. Maybe theres' something we don't know about it? Like maybe if they are a foe they can't send you PM's? IDK...it's still funny to me. ;-)

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » April 5th, 2010, 8:51 am

I thought it was supposed to be a joke, but Justine could be right. Maybe it blocks that user from sending you PMs.

JenLT

Post by JenLT » April 5th, 2010, 10:45 am

I don't think that Nathan put the friend/foe lists on the forum. I think they just come as part of the forum automatically. :) Kind of silly. Under FAQ, it says posts made by your foes will be automatically hidden from you. I guess that way you don't have to see anything from people you find objectionable. Of course, you could just skip those posts if you didn't want to read them. I haven't personally seen anything objectionable here. It seems like that people who post here are a friendly and helpful bunch.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 5th, 2010, 10:51 am

Yeah, it sounds like its just another name for the blocking feature.

I didn't even know it was there! The friend thing either. I can't think of anyone that I would like to hit with the foe stick.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » April 5th, 2010, 10:59 am

Well, I've decided to make everyone posting in this thread my official friend. What that might mean I don't know, but if something especially cool happens I'll be sure to tell you all about it.

Quill

Post by Quill » April 5th, 2010, 11:10 am

r louis scott wrote:I was checking to see if I had any messages, because, you know, if Nathan sends me a note saying "Yo dude, when are you sending me your manuscript?" I want to reply promptly. While I was there I kind of noticed for the first time that you can mark messages as being from a friend or foe, which got me to wondering if people actually had any friends or foes here. Since I personally don't have that much of an investment here I was just wondering if anyone else did.
First of all, you don't need to go into messages to see if Nathan sent you one, as there is an announcement thingy on the "user control" bar in the page header saying if there are any unread messages in your box.

Secondly, you won't be marking your messages, they will come marked by your preferences. If one is marked "foe" it is because you have "foe'd" a particular poster. That means if you are tired of looking at someone's posts and you "foe" them, then their posts will appear in all threads without text.

This is such a polite forum that I cannot imagine anyone getting so annoyed by another poster's remarks that they would choose to do that.

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » April 5th, 2010, 1:37 pm

I saw that myself... but I didn't do anything with it. I worried that if I friended a couple people then others would find out and feel bad. Then I'd have to friend EVERYONE to keep from hurting feelings. And if I was going to end up friending everybody then what's the difference between that and just not friending everyone in the first place.

Now, I'm curious. I kind of wish there was some overly obnoxious person that I could "foe" just to know what it feels like. This is one of the few message boards I've seen that doesn't have a stalker or the town crier, etc.

Josin

Post by Josin » April 5th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Friend/foe is part of the forum code, not something added by the admin. If you "foe" someone, then they cease to exist for you. You don't see their posts, and they can't contact you. Best of all, they don't know that you did it. (You can, however, see their posts if they're quoted by someone else.)

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 5th, 2010, 3:08 pm

You're all looking pretty suspicious...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Colonel Travis

Post by Colonel Travis » April 5th, 2010, 3:40 pm

on this site it should be protagonist/antagonist

Quill

Post by Quill » April 5th, 2010, 4:45 pm

I don't know what "friending" someone does.

As for "foe-ing" I'm pretty sure the foe would not know you have set them on ignore.

@ Colonel Travis LOL

Holly

Post by Holly » April 5th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Colonel Travis wrote:on this site it should be protagonist/antagonist
Perfect, ha ha!

BlancheKing

Post by BlancheKing » April 5th, 2010, 6:30 pm

oh! MY! god! You mean we don't matter to someone if we're their foe? That's so hurtful! ='(
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » April 5th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Haha. Yes, there's a foe feature on another forum I'm on, and it's actually very nice if there are trolls or generally nasty personalities that post a lot. Most people I know use it if they're the sort that are easily aggravated or drawn into an argument with someone that is either a troll or a big bag of stupid. Luckily, I don't think that applies here. At least not that I've witnessed so far ;)

It can be useful for personalities you find abrasive and difficult to swallow if you'd rather not be bothered. But of course, you must first slap them across the face with a megapixel glove and say, "You, sir/madame, are FOED."

Image Image
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary