Sorry, I'd be writing but I bought an iPad...

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
kelly.morgan

Sorry, I'd be writing but I bought an iPad...

Post by kelly.morgan » April 3rd, 2010, 9:19 pm

Didn't want to wait for 3G. One, I live near Seattle; WiFi hotspots are like coffee shops here - oh wait =). Two, even if I ventured away, I do have a 3GS phone.

First impression? Oh yeah! Think Ferris Bueller oh yeah. Brought it home in it's shiny Apple bag and laid the contents on my desk. Giddy.

Typing is nice, a lot nicer than I'd anticipated but I have girl fingers. Still, none of the two finger tap going on here. Very responsive touch screen and the apps are flying in.

Speaking of apps - I am sad to say, iBooks is underwhelming. The iBooks reader is underwhelming. The Kindle app for iPad is incredible. And I am ecstatic all my kindle books look so nice - color covers, nice size print. Netflix also has an app and all my instant streaming movies are available in amazing resolution.

So, fire away questions if you got 'em, but be warned, I'm playing =)

Nathan Bransford

Re: Sorry, I'd be writing but I bought an iPad...

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 4th, 2010, 2:53 am

kelly.morgan wrote:Didn't want to wait for 3G. One, I live near Seattle; WiFi hotspots are like coffee shops here - oh wait =). Two, even if I ventured away, I do have a 3GS phone.

First impression? Oh yeah! Think Ferris Bueller oh yeah. Brought it home in it's shiny Apple bag and laid the contents on my desk. Giddy.

Typing is nice, a lot nicer than I'd anticipated but I have girl fingers. Still, none of the two finger tap going on here. Very responsive touch screen and the apps are flying in.

Speaking of apps - I am sad to say, iBooks is underwhelming. The iBooks reader is underwhelming. The Kindle app for iPad is incredible. And I am ecstatic all my kindle books look so nice - color covers, nice size print. Netflix also has an app and all my instant streaming movies are available in amazing resolution.

So, fire away questions if you got 'em, but be warned, I'm playing =)
Interesting!! What did you find lacking in iBooks vs. the benefits of Kindle? Haven't been able to see the different versions so very curious.

Can't wait to get one - it's going to be a long couple of weeks.

kelly.morgan

Post by kelly.morgan » April 4th, 2010, 3:24 am

What did you find lacking in iBooks vs. the benefits of Kindle? Haven't been able to see the different versions so very curious.
The first big turnoff for me in iBooks was the two page layout when the iPad is in horizontal view. I know I can switch the font to make the words smaller and fit more on the screen at one time, but then I have to read smaller words. Since I read fast, it's enough extra flipping to be noticeable. The Kindle app doesn't have the same problem since if you flip the iPad horizontal, it keeps to one page. I know some would say just read horizontal, but the case feels better on my desk or my lap when folded short (and I got a pricer case for durability - the official Apple one looked a little flimsy).

The lack of ability to take notes in books under the iBooks app is just glaring to me. Sure, lots of books I read for the fun and I don't take notes or I could use an old fashioned paper and pen thingy, but since it's available in one, the lack of availability in the other, newer app is surprising.

Lastly, and this is so self-interested I chuckle at including it, I couldn't purchase Hunger Games from iBooks. Somehow, deep in my bubble, I missed this book and decided my first two media purchases was going to be Hunger Games to read and Sherlock Holmes to watch. Sherlock Holmes is loaded and ready to roll (and, seriously, this little screen provides a beautiful picture for not being HD). I went to Amazon and got my book for Kindle =)

All in all, I expected a little more wow factor to sway me over from the efficiency that is the Kindle app. This is no fault of the brand new iBooks, but I started a newly downloaded book yesterday on my desktop, found myself grabbing a little time in the car on my iPod Touch, some more time with it on the laptop before bed, and finished it up on my iPad. That's incredible versatility.

And, I really do think you should beg a friend to let you at least touch it for a couple of minutes before you get your own. Just a taste though, s/he won't let you hold it for long, lol.

A.M.Kuska

Post by A.M.Kuska » April 4th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Is iPad cheaper than the kindle? My issue is price, though I can definitely see the convenience. All the books I want and no one to gripe about shelf space...imagine <3

kelly.morgan

Post by kelly.morgan » April 30th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Ooh, you got yours today? =}

I'm still in love. Using it right now to post this. It goes everywhere and my only regret is I can't use it while I sleep. Oh well, that's when it charges.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 30th, 2010, 11:55 pm

I have to say I really agree with you about iBooks vs. Kindle. I don't like the two page spread either and don't like that it's not possible to switch that off. Though Kindle has a way to go with image quality. The LOTR maps are none too clear.

At the same time it's clear that these are just first generation apps. I can't wait until everything gets better. I'm amazed at how easy it is to do the normal browsing/reading I do at night on the iPad.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » May 1st, 2010, 11:01 am

I'm in the middle of writing a grant to get a few for my grade level (I teach third). It's good to know about Kindle v. iBooks because I want it to be as easy to use as possible, if we get them. *fingers crossed*

There are sooo many free applications available for the classroom. I'm super excited! I'll cry if they say no. :*(