How old are you?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Petronella

Re: How old are you?

Post by Petronella » April 2nd, 2010, 8:52 pm

Well, at the ripe old age of 65, I think I'm the oldest person on here.
Started out telling fantasy and scifi type stories to my younger brothers. Then in my late teens and into my early twenties I wrote and illustrated a series of scifi comics. Somewhere around the age of 25 I wrote an epic fantasy, which I submitted to Del Rey. Got a handwitten rejection.

Then my writing fizzled off until about 6 years ago, when a character named Jay appeared in my dreams and told me to write his story. Jay isn't human. He's a synth - synthetic organism - and lots of fun to write about.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » April 2nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

I just turned 20 in March.
I started writing before kindergarden. It was a poem.
When I was 10 I wrote what I considered then to be a novel. It was a little on the short side- 200 pages maybe. And it was horrible.
I focused a lot on short stories and poetry throughout high school, but I couldn't seem to pull off writing a novel again.
Last November I participated in NanoWrimo...and won! But my happiness was short lived. I lost my manuscript...
So now I am in the process of planning two longish short stories that are around 10,000 words each and a novel.
By this time next year I hope to be submitting to agents, but we'll have to see how that goes.
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.

BethC

Post by BethC » April 6th, 2010, 1:33 am

Well, I was right...or so it looks...unless there is still someone hiding out there. I just joined tonight and in my first post in the intro thread I alluded to my age....so for all those counting on their fingers and toes...I'm 58. will be 59 in August. but as long as I don't look in the mirror I'm still twenty-something...at least that's how I feel. I began writing as soon as I learned to talk...I've never told a short story in my life and that was evident when I finished my first draft and found I had 134,000 words. After several revisions, I'm much happier with my MS and down to 103,000 words now. After I completed my first draft my son found a plaque that read...[quote]It's never too late to live happily ever after[quote] and that's what I'm doing.

BethC

Post by BethC » April 6th, 2010, 1:36 am

OOPs sorry Petronella, missed your post. I bow to you and humbly take second place

Margo

Post by Margo » April 8th, 2010, 11:34 am

Ink wrote:We prefer "chronologically challenged".
I prefer "chronologically enhanced"!
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » April 8th, 2010, 11:39 am

Beth wrote:I'm 40. Yes I am an ancient human who actually learned to type on a manual typewriter!
Ahhh, there's nothing like that taptaptaptaptaptapDING! and the smell of fresh ink ribbon and the black smudges on your fingertips and cussing out that freaking Remington Rand while struggling to get the new ribbon in! Ahhhhh.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

lexcade

Post by lexcade » April 11th, 2010, 12:45 am

i'm 24 now. started writing when i was 8 (4th grade portfolio!).

finally finishing up edits on the novel i started when i was 16. all that stupid school got in my way :-D
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

stardog911

Post by stardog911 » April 14th, 2010, 1:46 am

lol just found this thread! What a perfect way to end the night! :D
I'm 37,just started truly writing last feb although I just found a modern day Romeo and Juliet script that I wrote in High School.I got an A so I thought why not read it.It was truly horrible! lmbo! I'm so glad my current novel is not the same caliber!
Well goodnight all!

Harper Karcz

Post by Harper Karcz » April 14th, 2010, 9:03 pm

I'm 29. Turning 30 in less than a month! If anyone's around Atlanta during the second week of May, I cordially invite you to my celebratory karaoke extravaganza.
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

aleeza876

Post by aleeza876 » May 3rd, 2010, 4:40 pm

16! Have been writing pretty much ever since I learned how to do it, but my first attempt at a full-length was at twelve. i almost cried in shame when i read it. then another at fourteen came. also caused tightness in my throat.
I write to escape reality, to escape the stifling heat of Karachi, to actually spend time with a nice, respectful, and essentially swoon-worthy teenage blonde guy. I write to escape a contary reality.

OtherLisa

Post by OtherLisa » May 3rd, 2010, 9:03 pm

I'm in the "chronologically challenged" demographic. Though sometimes I still get called "miss." I'm not sure whether it's weirder than when I'm called "ma'am."

karenbb

Post by karenbb » May 4th, 2010, 6:07 am

Geezer here...41. I've been writing forever, nearly everyone in my family is a writer (paid or not) in some capacity. Even my brother, the cop, is published. My WIP is my first novel.

I also learned how to type on a real live typewriter. One of the best things I ever learned because it makes writing a novel a hell of a lot faster if you aren't hunting and pecking.

xouba

Post by xouba » May 13th, 2010, 2:15 am

I'm turning 34 this august. And feeling the weight of every year. Beware, you under the age of thirty! Beyond that frontier there are uncounted perils and silvering heads!

When I was 12 or 13 I wrote bawdy compositions in class. They were about my class mates in different situations, exaggerating their perceived customs and reputation. My teacher hated them, but my class mates loved them, and their laughs gave me wings. I've been always a sucker for approval.

When I was 14 I discovered roleplaying games, and that changed everything. I devoured every RPG book I could find, and became the GM of every game around me. I was an awful GM, but I liked a lot the part of preparing the story: the setting, the characters ... Specially the characters, both NPCs and PCs. I thought of backgrounds for each of them, and spent countless hours fantasizing about combinations of race and class that were novel and original (to me; to my RPG pals, they were strange and unpractical).

I think I've been trying to write something since then, consciously or not.

Mark

Post by Mark » May 13th, 2010, 12:51 pm

My first real attempts at writing fiction were probably when I was 20 and decided that a career in engineering wasn't for me. Unfortunately, I didn't complete a draft of a single story until I was 28 and had to include a sample of work in my application for a year long writing studio.

I've completed several short stories in the last few years and am currently 25k into my first novel. I hope to have the draft finished before my 31st birthday at the end of June.

crumejack

Post by crumejack » May 20th, 2010, 8:03 am

I am 30 years old and i never celebrate my birth day because i lost one year of my life..