Hot & Cold!

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
Bohemienne

Re: Hot & Cold!

Post by Bohemienne » April 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm

HAH! That is definitely the feeling it conjures up. I try not to obsess over the clunkers even as I'm typing them out, though. I just mark wavy lines under them on my print-out when I'm editing, which tells me that I need to figure out a better wording for the information I'm trying to convey there.

worstwriterever

Post by worstwriterever » April 2nd, 2010, 4:48 pm

I feel both ways about every project I work on. However, to me, my projects are just as "practical" as ceramics, at least in the way that my kids will get to check out the work I spent all that time on, and show it to their kids too. I would love to have something creative to look at that my parents worked on.
http://worstwriterever.wordpress.com/

"Maybe you should save the pretzel joke for the sequel." My sister. Thanks sis! I can feel the love.

Petronella

Post by Petronella » April 2nd, 2010, 7:00 pm

Three years or so back I abandoned my first finished project because I decided I did not like it. Recently, while clearing some old Word docs, I found it again. After reading it I thought it was quite good, and am working on it again. At times I still think the story is drivel. But it can be fixed.

lightelement94

Post by lightelement94 » April 2nd, 2010, 11:32 pm

I feel fantastic about my writing or at least confident in my ability to bring it to the place it will need to be, until I pick up a novel from the bookstore and watch it walk all over my dreams. Curses, good fiction, curses.
Republic of Lions| bloody brilliant

Emily J

Post by Emily J » April 3rd, 2010, 6:16 pm

Wow, this thread has made me feel much better about myself.

Now I can explain to my much-abused friends, "I'm not crazy, I'm a writer!"

My Hot & Cold varies on a day to day basis between "I AM THE GREATEST WRITER EVER!!" to "OMG A CHIMP WITH A TYPEWRITER COULD DO BETTER THAN THIS - EVEN IF IT WASN'T SHAKESPEARE, EVEN IF IT WASN"T COHERENT!"

So it's good to know I've got company. :)

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » April 7th, 2010, 12:25 am

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I've come to a somewhat disturbing theory. Perhaps this thing we all seem to have is some sort of genetic code. It's never been such a serious affliction that it has drawn scientists in to study it, but we might all just be one misplaced protein string from being cat hoarders or something.

Emily J

Post by Emily J » April 7th, 2010, 6:29 pm

heehee this made me laugh

>^-^<
>^-^<
>^-^<
>^-^<
>^-^<

Scribble

Post by Scribble » April 7th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I'm glad to have company here.

On first draft, I'm all, 'This is freakin gold!'
On revision it's, 'What a pile of drivel.'

But then the two keep changing and I get awful moments of self-doubt where I want to chuck the MS.
I don't though, I'm still going at it now.