March Madness!!!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Colonel Travis

Re: March Madness!!!

Post by Colonel Travis » March 30th, 2010, 1:26 pm

Ashley A. wrote: Four years ago, I had a conversion experience. It took me another year to muster the courage to come out to my family as a Tarheel.
My wife went to Duke, we were married at the chapel on the day they played UNC (coincidence), Jay Bilas and the ESPN people were staying at the wedding party hotel, all the tent dorks were camping outside, etc. My entire family also pledges allegiance to various ACC schools, and I don't see how on earth, based on your sporting history, you could come out of the @#$%! Tarheel closet?!?!?

:)

Ashley A.

Post by Ashley A. » April 2nd, 2010, 11:06 am

Colonel Travis wrote:
Ashley A. wrote: Four years ago, I had a conversion experience. It took me another year to muster the courage to come out to my family as a Tarheel.
My wife went to Duke, we were married at the chapel on the day they played UNC (coincidence), Jay Bilas and the ESPN people were staying at the wedding party hotel, all the tent dorks were camping outside, etc. My entire family also pledges allegiance to various ACC schools, and I don't see how on earth, based on your sporting history, you could come out of the @#$%! Tarheel closet?!?!?

:)
I've always been strong-willed. And yet they love me. Still, that one was tough!

Colonel Travis

Post by Colonel Travis » April 2nd, 2010, 11:42 am

You think this year's upsets gave you problems? Wait till the tournament expands to 96 teams. Sounds like it's gonna happen, better get to Costco and buy your giant bucket of Rolaids now.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 2nd, 2010, 5:11 pm

Colonel Travis wrote:You think this year's upsets gave you problems? Wait till the tournament expands to 96 teams. Sounds like it's gonna happen, better get to Costco and buy your giant bucket of Rolaids now.
This really makes me sad. Selection Sunday won't be near as fun. I can see expanding it some, but 96 just seems like a lot. Plus, I think it will hurt the upsets more than increase the number of them just because of the added wear and tear on the teams who have to play the extra round. I guess I can't really pass judgement until I see in play (literally), but I just don't like it.

I just wish they'd get rid of that stupid play-in game. Or a least make it required to be two at-large teams. When the little guys win their conference, they think they are going to be in the REAL tournament. Blah.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 2nd, 2010, 5:32 pm

Yeah, not a fan of expanding the tournament. Why mess with what isn't broken?

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 2nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

Also, why are Duke players so bad in the pros? Slate investigates!!!

http://www.slate.com/id/2249539/pagenum/all/#p2

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 3rd, 2010, 7:59 am

Okay, that was a great article. Though you can't completely ignore the bad luck thing. If Grant Hill was coming off his 15th straight All-Star appearance or whatever... and Jason Williams would have been a star, I think, if not for that accident. Hurley probably would have been solid. Though why anyone thought Mike Dunleavy was a top five pick is beyond me. When I watched that draft, where Dunleavy went ahead of Battier and far ahead of Boozer, I thought a bunch of NBA GMs had collectively fallen on their heads. Sort of a spontaneous group concussion.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » April 3rd, 2010, 8:12 am

You know, I'm bummed I didn't fill out a bracket. I would totally be kicking butt right now. Why? Cuz I'm from Indiana. You know I would have picked the teams from my home state above any others. Darn!

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

abc

Post by abc » April 3rd, 2010, 9:54 pm

And Butler is where?

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 3rd, 2010, 11:20 pm

Well, I had Butler in my final four. Too bad I didn't have them going any further!

I can't believe the coach is so young. That is awesome.

abc

Post by abc » April 3rd, 2010, 11:24 pm

My husband said it is going to the the whitest championship game ever.

Well, at least it is pretty cool that Butler is in it.

knight_tour

Post by knight_tour » April 4th, 2010, 2:19 am

Holy crow! Looks like I am tied for 1st with one other person, and neither of us picked the national champion. What was the tiebreak? I'd better go check to see who picked Duke, as they can pull ahead of us. It's funny, but another of my brackets is better than this one (99.7%), because I picked Butler, Duke, and WV, only missing with Kansas.

Aw, looks like A. Atkins will win it, since he/she picked Duke. So close...I had better root HARD for Butler!

Ashley A.

Post by Ashley A. » April 4th, 2010, 7:48 am

holy moly!

GO DUKE.

knight_tour

Post by knight_tour » April 5th, 2010, 1:26 am

It is ironic that perhaps the most helpful thing to happen for my writing comes down to whether Duke or Butler wins a basketball game...

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 5th, 2010, 11:35 pm

GAH! This is so exciting!!

Granted, but the time anyone sees this, it will be over.