Curtis Brown Australia, or US?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
eringayles

Curtis Brown Australia, or US?

Post by eringayles » March 5th, 2010, 9:08 am

Dear Nathan,
If an Australian author submits to Curtis Brown Australia, is it synonomous with submitting to same company in US, or does it assume Aust. exposure only?
Are overseas authors 'too hard' for US agents to deal with? (I'm not talking personality, but international 'red tape'.)
We have only the one 'big' agency, here (C.B.) so many of our authors convert to the romance genre, because romance publishers actually encourage our submissions. Reason - Aust. is considered an 'exotic' setting. (!!!)
I'll write romance, but I'd really love to submit fantasy.
Am behind the eight-ball just because I'm from Oz???
Regards,
Eringayles.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Re: Curtis Brown Australia, or US?

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » March 5th, 2010, 9:12 am

Americans will take you on (assuming you have what they want). I don't think they're too worried about red tape. I'm a Canuck myself, land of icy exotica. And donuts. I don't think agents mind. Particularly if I send them some of the donuts.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 5th, 2010, 9:26 am

Ink wrote:Americans will take you on (assuming you have what they want). I don't think they're too worried about red tape. I'm a Canuck myself, land of icy exotica. And donuts. I don't think agents mind. Particularly if I send them some of the donuts.

I think I'm in love - not because you said I should submit to US, but because you're either J.C. Superstar, or a bloody fast typist! How in hell does your answer pop up before my two fingers have finished the question?
I've got a dead kookaburra buried in the back yard. In lieu of the donuts?
Thanks for your answer.
Regards,
Eringayles.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » March 5th, 2010, 9:43 am

I used my Jedi mind powers.

And who doesn't want a dead kookaburra?
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 5th, 2010, 3:18 pm

eringayles wrote:Dear Nathan,
If an Australian author submits to Curtis Brown Australia, is it synonomous with submitting to same company in US, or does it assume Aust. exposure only?
Are overseas authors 'too hard' for US agents to deal with? (I'm not talking personality, but international 'red tape'.)
We have only the one 'big' agency, here (C.B.) so many of our authors convert to the romance genre, because romance publishers actually encourage our submissions. Reason - Aust. is considered an 'exotic' setting. (!!!)
Regards,
Eringayles.
All the Curtis Browns around the world are separate companies, so when submitting you should pretend they have different names.

Here are some thoughts on submitting overseas: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/12 ... rseas.html

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 5th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:
eringayles wrote:Dear Nathan,
Regards,
Eringayles.
All the Curtis Browns around the world are separate companies, so when submitting you should pretend they have different names.

Here are some thoughts on submitting overseas: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2007/12 ... rseas.html
Thank you for the link. It's amazing how few agents we have here in Aust. Feel like a change of address, Mr. B????? Could I tempt you with a dead kookaburra?