US or UK spelling in a query/manuscript

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Icy

US or UK spelling in a query/manuscript

Post by Icy » February 6th, 2010, 4:50 am

I'm an Australian and I spell using Australian english (customise that colour, would you). If I was submitting to a US agent should the query letter/sample pages/manuscript be re done with US spelling, or is UK/Australian spelling fine?

Thanks

Icy

Holly

Re: US or UK spelling in a query/manuscript

Post by Holly » February 6th, 2010, 6:24 am

Icy wrote:I'm an Australian and I spell using Australian english (customise that colour, would you). If I was submitting to a US agent should the query letter/sample pages/manuscript be re done with US spelling, or is UK/Australian spelling fine?

Thanks

Icy
Hello, Icy. I'm no expert, but I've heard U.S. spelling for manuscripts that U.S. agents will send to U.S. publishers. One of the experts here might give you a better answer.

Username

Post by Username » February 6th, 2010, 6:36 am

Why not just change the spelling before submitting it?

Nick

Post by Nick » February 6th, 2010, 7:34 am

I won't conceit to answer definitively, but I fail to see the trouble with it when querying. In a manuscript, it might be smart to change the spelling, if only because it spares the publishers having to go in and change every single difference. I have a tendency to use UK spelling for certain words. Tough habit to break. I've been mindful of most of them when I'm typing, like the other day I caught myself using realised instead of realized. I do still use grey, though. Gray just looks plain wrong to me. But, yeah, anyway, time for Department of Redundancy Department: Okay to use British English in a query, not so much in a manuscript. But that's just little old me, who really doesn't know much. Seriously. I only learned about agents last spring. Up until that point I thought it was still a case of tucking your manuscript in a manila folder and sending it the publishing house. So actually I'm probably not the greatest person in the world to listen to. Still, might as well give my opinion. After all no one says you have to follow it.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » February 6th, 2010, 8:36 am

G'day, fellow Aussie :)

I will be querying in Australian English, because, well, I'm an Aussie. The agent will want to deal with you as an Aussie, so spelling shouldn't be an issue for a query, but I have already changed my MS to US English. I had an American friend go through it, too, just to determine what I had to change (my MS is set in the US, so I had to change lounge room to living room, handbag to purse, etc.). As someone else said, it will make the process a little easier if you do get signed.

Jaime :)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » February 6th, 2010, 2:57 pm

It's totally fine to use UK spelling. Don't sweat it.