Queries:E-mail vs Snail Mail

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
aspiring_x

Queries:E-mail vs Snail Mail

Post by aspiring_x » February 5th, 2010, 1:12 pm

In another thread, someone mentioned that they found it obnoxious when an agent only accepts e-queries. I always thought that was a good thing. Not only does it decrease the amount of paper waste, it provides speedier communication, and projects a technology friendly attitude. I wonder about the agents who only accept snail mail queries. The publishing world seems to be moving forward, embracing technology. When an agent doesn't have a website, or conduct business online, it makes me wonder whether they will be able to keep up with the changing publishing industry.
Also, why not be environmentally aware?
Maybe, they think that they will only get serious submissions by only accepting snail mail queries, but I think this is a prejudiced presumption. I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on the positives of querying via snail mail?

LydiaSharp

Re: Queries:E-mail vs Snail Mail

Post by LydiaSharp » February 5th, 2010, 2:57 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but I look for agents who either only accept e-queries or who accept both. I can't afford paper, ink, or postage in the amounts required to query fifty or more agents. That stuff adds up quick. And in the query phase, I don't see why a hardcopy is necessary. But it may simply be that particular agent's preference.
Lydia Sharp
Science Fiction * Fantasy * Women's Fiction
http://www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com

Bryan Russell/Ink

Re: Queries:E-mail vs Snail Mail

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » February 5th, 2010, 2:59 pm

It helps keep the deluge down, most likely. And some probably prefer taking paper home (or somewhere more comfortable) to read, having spent enough time staring at screens already. Though with ereaders I'm guessing that might be changing too.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com