Is it worth applying to an agent overseas?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Pip.connor

Is it worth applying to an agent overseas?

Post by Pip.connor » October 9th, 2013, 6:03 am

Hey guys

Sorry to bother you with a question that has probably been asked dozens of times, but I was hoping someone could advise.

I live in the UK and was wondering if it is okay for me to send my MS to agents in the US or whether they will instantly reject my piece due to geography?

Thank you in advance for any and all help and guidance offered.

Stay cool.

Pip

LizV

Re: Is it worth applying to an agent overseas?

Post by LizV » October 26th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I've been considering doing the opposite -- I'm in the US, and there are some UK agents that look promising. I have heard of a few authors with cross-pond agents, so obviously it's possible. The biggest obstacle seems to be figuring out the different querying system!

I can't imagine an agent would turn down an otherwise-appealing book just because of the author's location, especially with so much business being conducted by email these days. And speaking of email, what have you got to lose by trying? Even if they say no, you're only out some time and nerves. I say go for it!

Saira Naitsirhc

Post by Saira Naitsirhc » June 11th, 2014, 8:38 am

Wow! I have been stuck at this point. I leave in the Philippines, but I want to have an agent on US. And this post answered that question!!

Thanks...

-Naitsirhc :D

alexiaamber

Post by alexiaamber » October 25th, 2023, 3:21 am

I understand that this might make you nervous, but don't worry, you can absolutely send your manuscript to agents abroad. Geography is not a major barrier in the age of internet connection. Try it and see what happens, you might be surprised with the results.
where am i

Preethi

Post by Preethi » February 22nd, 2024, 6:39 am

alexiaamber wrote: October 25th, 2023, 3:21 am I understand that this might make you nervous, but don't worry, you can absolutely send your manuscript to agents abroad. Geography is not a major barrier in the age of internet connection. Try it and see what happens, you might be surprised with the results.
where am i
Don't let geography hold you back! Reaching out to agents in other countries has never been easier thanks to the internet. Make the jump, send your novel, and embrace the possibilities. Good luck!GB whatsapp apk