Sending a Self-Published Book to a Potential Agent

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
AimeeCooper

Sending a Self-Published Book to a Potential Agent

Post by AimeeCooper » July 25th, 2012, 10:17 am

I self-published my book, Project 99, in March as an eBook and I produced a short run of the printed version.
It is already available through various resources but I would like to incorporate the help of an agent.

I have been reading Nathan's blog and continue to find great, helpful information. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)

My question is whether or not I should include a hard copy in the submission packet that I am preparing for an agent?

There is no mention of "completed books" in their submission guidelines; just the first three chapters of a manuscript, a synopsis, and a bio. Is this because they don't typically receive finished projects, or because they would prefer not to?

Would anyone care to share their thoughts?

Thanks,
Aimee
Aimee Cooper
Author of Project 99 (2012)

Mark.W.Carson

Re: Sending a Self-Published Book to a Potential Agent

Post by Mark.W.Carson » July 25th, 2012, 10:26 am

Don't do it. Follow the guidelines they have as closely as possible.

The other thing to consider is that being self published doesn't necessarily work against you when looking for an agent, but if you have not been able to sell, that will.

AimeeCooper

Post by AimeeCooper » July 25th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Thanks Mark!
Since this is my first time around the block, I want to make sure I do what is expected. I want to appear professional and avoid as many rookie mistakes as possible.
Writing isn't my full-time day job yet, so I haven't really had much time to devote to marketing my novel. This is precisely why I wanted to incorporate an agent's help.
I've sold most of the printed books from my first run with the exception of what I have held back for promo copies. The eBook sales have trickled in, but I can't tout an amazing sales history just yet. That kind of brings up a nice little "catch 22". If the sales figures were fantastic already, would I even need an agent?

I enjoy your blog. Thanks again,
Aimee Cooper
Author of Project 99 (2012)

Mark.W.Carson

Post by Mark.W.Carson » July 25th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Understood. Your best bet would be to market yourself. This may not be what you want to hear, but if you can't sell now, most agents wouldn't come within 40 yards of you.

Try and promote your work better. I'm sure you think it's good ( I can't speak for it, never saw it ). Now go and show other people (Don't shill) There's always twitter and reddit :).

MosesSiregar

Post by MosesSiregar » July 30th, 2012, 5:37 pm

This was just the advice from one agent, but Eddie Schneider with Jabberwocky said that if you haven't sold 10,000 copies you don't even need to mention that it's self-published. That was just for him, but I thought that was interesting. He said that in an AMA in the r/fantasy reddit.
Passion for the Writing Life Blog: Moses and Dionysus Walk Into a Bar ...

Find my work at: Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | GoodReads

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » July 31st, 2012, 1:18 am

AimeeCooper wrote: There is no mention of "completed books" in their submission guidelines; just the first three chapters of a manuscript, a synopsis, and a bio. Is this because they don't typically receive finished projects, or because they would prefer not to?
Agents always want to see finished manuscripts. They don't ask for published books because generally people do not publish a book and then seek an agent to sell the book to a publisher. Some agents have said that they will look at previously self-published authors, but many go on to clarify that they'll look at something new the author has written. A few may be amenable to looking at already-published words, but the sales had better be robust and/or building significant momentum.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Fuhvds

Post by Fuhvds » November 10th, 2015, 4:33 am

Looks like I can only reply, no new topic.www.coquegsm.com